British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZ Spouse Visa - Applying From UK & Australian Fingerprint Check Required? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nz-spouse-visa-applying-uk-australian-fingerprint-check-required-933362/)

elonii Jun 23rd 2020 9:16 am

NZ Spouse Visa - Applying From UK & Australian Fingerprint Check Required?

Hey there - bit of a niche question. Has anyone on here gotten a fingerprint check in the UK to send overseas for a police report, or have knowledge of this?

I'm just starting my NZ Partner Visa application. The form is asking for this from me as I used to live in Australia. Police Scotland's fingerprint ops manual (a thrilling read) says they won't do that for me without a letter from the Australian embassy. My UK police check doesn't require this, presumably because the police here don't want to provide this service routinely.

Going to start making some phone calls, but if anyone has experience with this, I'd be very appreciative to hear any insight!

Pollyana Jun 23rd 2020 1:06 pm

Re: NZ Spouse Visa - Applying From UK & Australian Fingerprint Check Required?

Originally Posted by elonii (Post 12870777)
Hey there - bit of a niche question. Has anyone on here gotten a fingerprint check in the UK to send overseas for a police report, or have knowledge of this?

I'm just starting my NZ Partner Visa application. The form is asking for this from me as I used to live in Australia. Police Scotland's fingerprint ops manual (a thrilling read) says they won't do that for me without a letter from the Australian embassy. My UK police check doesn't require this, presumably because the police here don't want to provide this service routinely.

Going to start making some phone calls, but if anyone has experience with this, I'd be very appreciative to hear any insight!

Normal AFP checks for migration don't require fingerprints. Are you sure that NZ wants a fingerprint check as well as the standard police check?

A UK police check only needs fingerprints if there are doubts over identity.

elonii Jun 23rd 2020 1:27 pm

Hi Pollyana,

Thanks for replying.

This is definitely what I am being asked for. I used the how to get a police check tool at the URL below:-
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...e-certificates

The UK one just requires a police check, but when I looked at the Australian one it says "Police Certificate and Fingerprint Check" in the "what to request" section.

I'm a bit perplexed, I can't see any evidence online of anyone else talking about how they got one in relation to their visa application. Is there any kind of INZ document I can double check this on, like the acceptance criteria for the immigration officers to make use of? Can't think what to search for!

elonii Jun 23rd 2020 1:33 pm

Actually, scrub that - it seems to be a bit of an oddity with their website. If you just click the link from your application straight to the above URL that's what the system asks you for. Much to my relief I can now see that inside the application it's a straightforward police check.

Panic over, and thanks again Pollyana!

Timmy Chch Jun 23rd 2020 10:50 pm

I had to provide my fingerprints for an Aussie criminal check but this was a few years back. NZ police was happy enough to do this, they had a form ready to go including your details and ten boxes where they ink and roll every finger/thumb in the right box

Pollyana Jun 24th 2020 3:48 am

Originally Posted by elonii (Post 12870902)
Actually, scrub that - it seems to be a bit of an oddity with their website. If you just click the link from your application straight to the above URL that's what the system asks you for. Much to my relief I can now see that inside the application it's a straightforward police check.

Panic over, and thanks again Pollyana!

No problem - glad you got it sorted!