NZ skilled migrant

Old May 26th 2012, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

me-NZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ skilled migrant

Hi

I just did the points thing on the immigration website and scored 65 - yes I know, pants score! When I selected "working in NZ less than 12 months" I got 125

My question is - if I were to get a 3 month visa and an invitation to work could I.....

a) extend that visa after 3 months if the company I work for still need me?

OR

b) apply once I get there and qualify for 125 points? what's the chances of being accepted before the 3 months visa ran out?

I'm a programmer with 8 years experience which is on the shortage list but lack the relevant qualifications
Old May 26th 2012, 9:36 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ skilled migrant

think you may struggle to get a visa within 3mths. My husband was out here and working on a works visa and it still took over 3mths to get the PR through. Our application was started in UK and transferred across for the blueys to be put in.

From our experience the only way husband could secure a job (IT field) was to physically be in NZ for the interviews. he had a number of Agency Interviews, phone and Skype whilst still in the UK and got told when you're over pop in. Even when approaching companies direct it was we'll meet for a coffee and chat when your over. I think potential employers want to meet face to face to see how you would fit into the team.

We were very fortunate in the fact that husband came over on a vistor's visa, attended some IT Seminars and by the end of the first week had been offered a job. He went to NZ Immi in Wellington and obtained a Works Visa to enable him to start work immediately.
He then amended the EOI to with job offer, we had initially submitted EOI with 120 (approx can't actually remember now) but with the job offer and not being in Auckland, points went over the magic 140 so was picked from the pool on the next round of selection.
Was a bit expensive as he had to pay for the EOI and the Work Visa but did mean we got the PR straight away once they ITA was approved.

There is also a grey area on people coming into NZ on a visitors visa and seeking work, some government agencies say you are not allowed to do it and some say you can. If you can come over on a visitors visa I would advise not to have lots of CV's in your luggage and not to say your main reason for coming over is to obtain work.
Also to make matters more complicated, from what I have read on here, you need to get an offer of work from an accredited company and even though they are accredited some still don't seem to realise that it is job offer first then works visa and not the other way round.

Luckily for us husband didn't have any of these problems.
But I must point out that since being over here and working husband is doing longer hours for approx the same amount of money he was on in the UK and by longer hours I mean 15hr days and most weekends. It may be because his company is trying to produce a new product and things will settle down but you yourself will understand being in the IT field it's not a 9-5 job.

Other people may have had differing experience in the IT field and got their visas quicker, I can only state how the process worked for us.

Last edited by MrsFychan; May 26th 2012 at 9:38 pm. Reason: added to
Old May 26th 2012, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Great reply! Thanks for that.

I haven't started looking for work yet, but it seems that your husband had some difficulties finding work. Did he experience the same problem in the UK? The reason I ask is because in my profession competition is very very low in the UK, and I can get work very easily (having a portfolio helps too) - I'm hoping it's the same in NZ...

Last edited by me-NZ; May 26th 2012 at 10:17 pm.
Old May 26th 2012, 10:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

no he never had any problems getting work in the UK, actually turning work opportunities down, and as you can see from my previous post once he was here he was snapped up. But I do know of someone else in the IT field who has not had any luck getting IT work, despite being here

I would suggest looking on seek.co.nz and trademe.co.nz to see where your skills would fit in and what sort of jobs are out there and salaries.

would it just be you coming over or do you have a family?

Last edited by MrsFychan; May 26th 2012 at 10:29 pm. Reason: moved around a bit
Old May 26th 2012, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Yes I guess I should get on with it, thanks

Yes it is just me.
Old May 27th 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Also look on nzherald.co.nz and careerjet.co.nz plus there are loads of agencies you can set up email alerts for specific job types too. Good luck.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Could I confirm that I can't extend a visa?

I was looking at Australia immigration and it seems you can get sponsored there

Lawfully operating Australian employers can sponsor and employ skilled workers who have recognised qualifications and skills/or experience in particular occupations required in Australia.
Is this not the same in NZ?
Old May 28th 2012, 9:24 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me-NZ
Could I confirm that I can't extend a visa?

I was looking at Australia immigration and it seems you can get sponsored there

Is this not the same in NZ?
What do you mean by a 3m visa- is that a work visa? Why would you only want a 3m visa to start with or are you only expecting to get jobs of short duration? You can renew a work visa:
If your work visa is nearing expiry, you can apply for a further visa. There is no limit on the number of further visas you may obtain, however the
requirements of the instructions that you apply under must continue to be met. For some instructions (such as Essential Skills Work Instructions), this will include a labour market check to find out whether any New Zealand
citizens or residence class visa holders have become available to take up the position for which you are applying for a work visa.
NZ employers cannot sponsor a candidate. They can offer a job and depending on whether it is in shortage or not depends on how easy it is for a work visa application to go through. Another option is the WTR visa where certain employers are 'accredited' and can offer jobs to foreigners without the need for the labour market test. You can also get a WTR visa if your job is on the long termskills shortage list.
Old May 28th 2012, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
What do you mean by a 3m visa- is that a work visa? Why would you only want a 3m visa to start with or are you only expecting to get jobs of short duration? You can renew a work visa
Sorry I was under the impression you could only get a 3 month working visa, I read something about only being able to work 3 months is a year. I obviously misread it

Thanks for clarifying.
Old May 29th 2012, 10:41 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me-NZ
Sorry I was under the impression you could only get a 3 month working visa, I read something about only being able to work 3 months is a year. I obviously misread it

Thanks for clarifying.
Not sure where that came from. You can get a work visa for up to 5 years depending on your job and its shortage level
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

aiki is an unknown quantity at this point

I am wondering if one can get PR with over 140 points from overseas without previously studying in NZ, without NZ work experience, without family sponsor?

I think, even if someone get PhD from Standford and still under 30 years old, I guess he won't be able to get over 140 points.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:14 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by aiki
I am wondering if one can get PR with over 140 points from overseas without previously studying in NZ, without NZ work experience, without family sponsor?
It can be done, have a look at the points tables. I gained PR with 130points and no job offer applying on my own. If I'd included a partner with a degree then I'd be over 140pts. Once you look at points for future growth areas then someone could get well over 140pts.

I think, even if someone get PhD from Standford and still under 30 years old, I guess he won't be able to get over 140 points
Again it can be done though very few people would be able to gain that many points as it would depend on their job description. Sandford