Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:36 pm
dkc
Just Joined

dkc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is NZ PR lifetime now?

I read this:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erminology.htm

"#
# Permanent resident visas – holders will be entitled to travel to New Zealand at any time and stay indefinitely without conditions. "

That means once I get NZ PR, it will never be expired even I leave NZ for 10/20 years, for example???
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:24 am
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is NZ PR lifetime now?

There is something called a RRV (Resident Return Visa), you can read about that.

Originally Posted by dkc
I read this:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erminology.htm

"#
# Permanent resident visas – holders will be entitled to travel to New Zealand at any time and stay indefinitely without conditions. "

That means once I get NZ PR, it will never be expired even I leave NZ for 10/20 years, for example???
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a quick look through and it seems that things are going to be very similar to now but just that the terminology has changed. So instead of an indefinite RRV you now get a permanent resident visa and the 2yr RRV is now a resident visa with travel conditions. The conditions appear on first glance to be exactly the same as the old RRVs.
It appears that certain applicants will gain a permanent resident visa [like an indefinite RRV] right from the start rather than getting a 2yr one though this looks like it will apply to only a few applicants.
So once you get NZ PR you still have to fulfill similar conditions to the old RRV system to enable you to leave and return to NZ as a resident.

So dkc, nothing much has changed! Currently you can leave NZ once you have an IRRV for as long as you wish and return as a resident BUT NZIS could change this at any time in the future.

It's annoying as I'm about to apply for an indefinite RRV and have the forms all filled out and ready and will now have to redo them- the new forms have more sections and I'll need some passport photos now
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:59 pm
dkc
Just Joined

dkc is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Is NZ PR lifetime now?

Hi Persephone,

Thx for your info. So what is the criteria which would make an applicant get indefinite RRV? Why certain people get 2 yr RRV while others get indefinite RRV?

With my Australian degree, my EOI was expired without being selected given that I don't have a job offer. I am thinking of enrolling in a course which would give me PR or I might apply for Canadian PR instead.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
Currently you can leave NZ once you have an IRRV for as long as you wish and return as a resident BUT NZIS could change this at any time in the future.
Exactly.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dkc
Hi Persephone,

Thx for your info. So what is the criteria which would make an applicant get indefinite RRV? Why certain people get 2 yr RRV while others get indefinite RRV?

With my Australian degree, my EOI was expired without being selected given that I don't have a job offer. I am thinking of enrolling in a course which would give me PR or I might apply for Canadian PR instead.
Originally when you were granted PR you would have 2 stickers placed in your passport- a residence visa and a 2yr RRV. Your first RRV was always a 2yr one. The 2 years ran from the date you first entered NZ as a resident ie activated the residence visa.
When that expired you then apply for another RRV and if you fulfill certain conditions eg you have lived in NZ for at least 184 days in the two years preceding your application [there are other categories] then you would get an indefinite RRV.

As of today you get a resident visa with travel conditions on your first application which allows you multiple re entry into NZ for 2 years. If you then fulfill similar conditions to the old RRv then a permanent resident visa is issued which is like the old IRRV. So little has changed in reality, just different terminology

Resident permits no longer exist so I'm assuming I won't get stamped into NZ on my return from now on
Successful residence applicants are generally granted a ‘resident visa’ with two years of ‘travel conditions’. This allows: travel to New Zealand (if the holder is offshore); indefinite stay in New Zealand; and multiple re-entry to New Zealand within the validity of the resident visa travel conditions. The term ‘returning resident’s visa’ (RRV) is no longer used, however, current RRV holders do not need to do anything other than follow the conditions of their current visa or permit.

‘Permanent resident visas’ replace indefinite RRVs and allow the holder indefinite right to enter New Zealand.

The requirements to progress from a ‘resident visa’ to a ‘permanent resident visa’ are similar to the current requirements to progress from a ‘non-indefinite RRV’ to an ‘indefinite RRV’.

People who hold ‘residence visas’, ‘residence permits’ and ‘non-indefinite RRVs’ on 29 November 2010 are automatically deemed to hold ‘resident visas’ with the appropriate travel conditions.

People who hold ‘indefinite RRVs’ on 29 November 2010 are automatically deemed to hold ‘permanent resident visas’ with indefinite rights to enter New Zealand.

Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 stickers in our passports.
One that allows us to enter the country and be granted citizenship and another that allows us to leave (within 2yrs) and re-enter.

So I think from the replies above that all still applies.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
We have 2 stickers in our passports.
One that allows us to enter the country and be granted citizenship and another that allows us to leave (within 2yrs) and re-enter.

So I think from the replies above that all still applies.
I believe the word you were looking for was "Residence"..

tht
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Seems like NZIS are cutting down on stickers A two for one deal

Permanent Residency allows you to live / work in NZ and to leave / return to and from NZ indefinitely as the current rules stand.

Of course, NZIS and the NZ government reserve the right to change that rule at any time.

Citizenship is for life.