British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZ Police recruiting UK Police Officers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nz-police-recruiting-uk-police-officers-501396/)

igglepiggle Dec 23rd 2007 10:15 pm

NZ Police recruiting UK Police Officers

Hi,

I recently sent in an expression of interest in to the NZ Police international recruitment campaign. I've been successful at first stage! Are there any other applicants out there or members that were successful at the last campaign in 2005?

happynz Dec 24th 2007 9:08 am

Re: NZ Police recruiting UK Police Officers

I hope you are successful. New Zealand could sure use a few more cops, especially to crack down on the 'boy racers'.

Gwen. Dec 24th 2007 11:40 pm

Hi igglepiggle,

I've just got through the first part of the recruitment process, and have been told the next stage is an online test...can't wait nervous but excited!

CCGM.IN.NZ Dec 25th 2007 9:13 am

Good luck you two. Hope 2008 brings the good news that you want.:thumbsup:

igglepiggle Dec 25th 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks to you all for your replies. Merry Christmas to you all!
My partner & I are both applying for the NZ Police. we are pretty excited atthe prospect. Great to hear someone else has applied too. Are you from UK as well?

In response to earlier reply, boy racers seem to be a nuisance the world over!!

igglepiggle Dec 25th 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gwen. (Post 5703046)
Hi igglepiggle,

I've just got through the first part of the recruitment process, and have been told the next stage is an online test...can't wait nervous but excited!

Merry Christmas! Are you from a UK Force too? I believe they have had applications from Canada, Netherlands & Norway.

igglepiggle Dec 25th 2007 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5701567)
I hope you are successful. New Zealand could sure use a few more cops, especially to crack down on the 'boy racers'.

What views do Kiwis have on NZ Police recruiting from the UK? Is it good or bad? I'm interested to hear all views

Gwen. Dec 26th 2007 1:07 pm

Hi again, hope you had a fab Xmas,

Yeah, I'm from the UK serving in GMP for the past 6 years, wot force are you from? I'd considered applying to Lothian and Borders at one point.

happynz Dec 26th 2007 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by igglepiggle (Post 5703818)
What views do Kiwis have on NZ Police recruiting from the UK? Is it good or bad? I'm interested to hear all views

The feeling I get is that there doesn't seem to be any negativity towards cops that come from the UK. I have heard that some former UK cops are disappointed with the pay and administration of the New Zealand Police. That's what I have read in the papers anyway.

igglepiggle Dec 26th 2007 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gwen. (Post 5705655)
Hi again, hope you had a fab Xmas,

Yeah, I'm from the UK serving in GMP for the past 6 years, wot force are you from? I'd considered applying to Lothian and Borders at one point.

We both with Northern Constabulary.

igglepiggle Dec 26th 2007 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5706178)
The feeling I get is that there doesn't seem to be any negativity towards cops that come from the UK. I have heard that some former UK cops are disappointed with the pay and administration of the New Zealand Police. That's what I have read in the papers anyway.

That's interesting, sounds like the UK right now!

JasonSouthYorks Dec 27th 2007 11:02 am

Hi
Good luck with the process. I'm going over to NZ to sit the tests in January. I decided to go over and see the place for myself rather than test over here.
Have you looked at the "policeforum" web site/ discussion forum. It is quite informative but just be careful with what you take on board. There are a lot of opinion based threads that may or may not apply to yourself.

Gwen. Dec 27th 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by igglepiggle (Post 5706664)
We both with Northern Constabulary.

So how's the Police in Scotland? I've heard it's a lot better than the UK...why the move to New Zealand?

igglepiggle Dec 28th 2007 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks (Post 5708440)
Hi
Good luck with the process. I'm going over to NZ to sit the tests in January. I decided to go over and see the place for myself rather than test over here.
Have you looked at the "policeforum" web site/ discussion forum. It is quite informative but just be careful with what you take on board. There are a lot of opinion based threads that may or may not apply to yourself.

Thanks for that link, I'll check it out. If we didn't have kids we'd be taking a trip over to do tests there too.

igglepiggle Dec 28th 2007 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gwen. (Post 5708772)
So how's the Police in Scotland? I've heard it's a lot better than the UK...why the move to New Zealand?

Scottish Police is good and seems to be better than English forces (just the general feeling I get from speaking to transferees to my Force). However partner & I have always wanted to emigrate but I wanted to stay in Police and wouldn't have got enough points to emigrate before. We were about to apply on the last campaign, 2 years ago, but new baby came along!! We've been waiting for this latest campaign to come up.

Also in Force we're in we are subject to transfer roughly every 5 years. I could be posted to Shetland next. Which is so remote! I'm fed up shifting my family every few years. we have friends applying for NZ too so hopefully we'll all be off.