Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

To NZ as Massage therapist? Quals/visa tips please!

To NZ as Massage therapist? Quals/visa tips please!

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Massageman is a jewel in the roughMassageman is a jewel in the roughMassageman is a jewel in the roughMassageman is a jewel in the rough
Default To NZ as Massage therapist? Quals/visa tips please!

Hi,

Anyone have any idea what the uk equivelent to NZ qualifiactions for Massage Therapy are? It's apparently at NVQ level 3, but this doesn't apply - there is no nvq in massage. I have a good idea of the course content, but want to be sure of the recognised UK equivelent quals in order to top up mine before applying in a few years time. Simply having ITEC/VCTC L3 massage doesn't cut it - that I do know. Is there a higher - pointed occupation that I could apply for with massage skills instead?

I only have one chance at getting into Aus and failing that would like to try for NZ - when I do the things I have to do before applying, I'll be 44, wife 46, son 17 and dependant daughter 26 (seems viable that I can get her in on dep family due to her disablilties - told by agent we'll need lots of evidence for it to be ok -which we have anyway).

Having decided to try this, 2008 is the year to begin implimenting the changes we need to do....but we have to know what first. Previously I was unskilled and now am a fork-lift driver....so still unskilled (unless they want fork lift drivers?). And massage is only 40 points in Aus although it's an associated profesional - type job. How can I enhance my chances of getting a visa? Could I get a visa for massage therapy in NZ....do they have the same as Aus - an SOL as well as the LTSSL? Help. welcome, thanks.

Can I pick your brains and can you advise me the best and most viable route to take regarding skills and (pr) visa options...what would you do if you were in my position? It's all very confusing!

Help!
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: To NZ as Massage therapist? Quals/visa tips please!

I googled Masseur and found The UK LCSP register. Perhaps email them for advice on UK qualifications , courses and certificates.

This LINK about NZ Massage Therapy , jobs, quals may help.

The way that New Zealand Immigration would look to 'grade' your occupation to see if it meets a level required would be via NZQA. New Zealand Qualification Authority. You would send them your UK qualifications and experience . NZQA would state at what NZ level they recognised your UK quals

New Zealand Immigration Services - NZIS - have two shortages lists for its Skilled Migrant Category.

1 - Immediate Skill Shortage list.
2 - Long Term Skill Shortage List

ANZSCO Standard Classification number for Massage Therapist is 411611

I could not find either Massage Therapist or the classification number under either of the above lists.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon that may be better able to help.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Massageman is a jewel in the roughMassageman is a jewel in the roughMassageman is a jewel in the roughMassageman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: To NZ as Massage therapist? Quals/visa tips please!

Hi, Thanks so much for your help and links. I have knowledge of the variety of UK courses out there (am already qualified....but not enough for migration) - it's a case of matching them up and filling any gaps....and ensuring they are of an equal par. There's lots of professional bodies for massage therapists who weight for weigh are very similar. But trying to find a validated source that sets it out in black and white is a pain, hence my post.

So, if massage therapy is not on either of the two catagories you mentioned, I can't get in with that as my named occupation even though it's classed as a skilled occupation of diploma level? How would I get round that?

Any advice still welcome, thanks agsin.

Happy New Year to you all whever you are!