NZ IMMIGRATION LIED TO US

Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ IMMIGRATION LIED TO US

HI JD
Many years ago -- probably about 15 or more---we ran into a similar problem. My late husband was a builder, but could not work as a building site manager in Canada, because the building regulations were (obviously) very different.
He was a stickler for detail and despite the complete lack of internet, he still somehow managed to research it TO BITS before deciding that we would not emigrate at that time-- as he would not be able to support the family and retrain at the same time.
The outcome was that we stayed in the UK, and I was despatched to the local uni- the plan being for me to qualify and get experience as a teacher, so that I could support the family while he was retraining in Canada. Then he went and got cancer in the last year of my degree, so we never made it to Canada, but years later I have been able to use those same qualifications to get into NZ. You just never know where life is going to take you next.
JD- what a hard lesson, I am sure you won't make another decision without properly researching it, and the next thing you do will probably work out much better. You have your health, and every day is another chance.

It is quite worrying that there are uk residents who imagine that just contacting one place (immi NZ) would be enough to ensure a smooth transition, that it is someone else's job to sort it out. To have a good moan myself, I think this is cultural and an increasing problem in the UK , one of the reasons that I want to emigrate - the UK is so 'snap wrapped' and people are being encouraged to follow rather than think for themselves. You can almost walk around with your eyes closed and sue someone if you fall over. I have even taught kids who thought that a job application form was the same kind of thing as a holiday booking form- that if you want a job you just choose one and fill the form in, and 'someone' sorts it all out for you. It is a bit scary!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:33 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mudblood21
It is quite worrying that there are uk residents who imagine that just contacting one place (immi NZ) would be enough to ensure a smooth transition, that it is someone else's job to sort it out.
Yep and there are many peeps in the UK who don´t understand the difference between opening a business and being a self-employed or subbie contractor...
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mudblood21
fill the form in, and 'someone' sorts it all out for you.
Most of working day is spent contacting people who are just like this, and they firmly believe it is their God given right to blame everyone else for their mistakes and failures to submit things on-time and properly completed. (That wasn't asked on the form/I didn't have the right paper work/my pen ran out of ink!!)

When will people realise that if you do not do things properly you can only blame yourself when it goes wrong!!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:41 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

OK having backed away from here due to being peed of I just couldnt stay away when I read this post and came back.

What planet are you on?

It is ALL over the place what you can and cant do when getting here as a tradesman from the UK. NONE of it is secret or hidden and it just takes a bit of common sense to work it all out.

If as you say you ran two great companies back in the UK then I would think you woulkd have the brains to have sorted it all out before coming here.

Nobody I would suggest 'lied' to you more a case of not listening correctly or only hearing what you wanted to.

I run a succsessfull heat pump install company and built that up from nothing here.To do so and increase my profits I have employed an electrician. Why well because im not one.

I was going to expand into solar and other stuff and despite me myself having plumbed for many years in the UK found that I couldnt here without alot of hoop jumping. central heating,bathrooms,toilets,kitchens and domestic plumbing I can do but NOT here.

So do I bitch and moan nope I dont. What I would do is employ a plumber pay him a fair wage and slowly gain my certs for NZ untill I to can work un supervised.

Still makes me the boss and I can still do all the plumbing I want under his ticket but im still the boss and still building up the company all the while getting NZ experience.

So its a gamble employing staff and believe me I know all about that here.but with a tight contract things are ok.

So please if there is as much work as I know there is out there stop moaning and start looking at ways around your SHORT TERM problem.

of course all of he above means nothing if I have missunderstood you and the two companies you ran back in the UK were just one man things and you didnt employ anyone in that case no wonder you are fed up and havnt thought of the above.

pestman
Old Apr 4th 2010, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

jd24hrs is an unknown quantity at this point

i would say that we went to all the nz roadshows and spoke to the people who said they knew the plumbing system in nz but i do think that the immigration dept should have all the facts if they are encouraging people to leave and come to nz .my problem is but the tip of the iceburg since being here i find that lots and lots of people have been mislead 200+

i feel that my problem stems from not being able to get enough info from the internet (4-5yrs ago) and the employer who gave me my job here,another plumber who was working at the same company came just 1-2yrs before me and was given his craftsman staight away and he had the same quals as me minus the gas thanks jd
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:05 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jd24hrs
...i do think that the immigration dept should have all the facts...
Sorry but I just think that is a completely unrealistic view, some would say naive.

I´m still not sure that they gave you any factual inaccuracies (and you do know that answers to questions can be both factually accurate AND useless at the same time don´t you?).

Originally Posted by jd24hrs
...another plumber at the same company...
erm, you ran two businesses
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:52 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

Ok jd24 lets stop with the stories and the woe is me crap now.

I moved here SIX years ago and guess what ALL the info you say wasnt there I say WAS!

I found out before I even left the UK that the quallies I had plumbing wise wouldnt cut the mustard here,I found out from the Plumbing board here in NZ what was and wasnt allowed for me to do along with what I would need to do in order to plumb over here.

needless to say I decided not to take them up on doing the apprentice thing (I did start here but got sick of it). But hey no suprises for me and by definition I'd say the same should be true for you?

If you were a craftsman plumber back in the UK with many years experience backing that up along with qualifications that could be matched to NZ ones then moving here and converting over to NZ ones would be more than possible but would just take time ,not alot, but just time.

If you had mickey mouse experience (and lets face it with the advent of property ladder and over the internet plumbing courses,and oh my favourite push fit plumbers who wouldnt know a braze untill it burnt them) then its no wonder some might struggle to convert here.

Stop moaning about nothing if you have the skills and quallies then it will work out for you I read between the lines though and see nothing but a person blaming everyone and thing else but himself for the mistake he has made.

pestman