British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZ Embassy in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nz-embassy-uk-480049/)

turkeys Sep 9th 2007 7:40 pm

NZ Embassy in UK

has anybody made use of the advisory service offered at the NZ embassy in London?

Could you recommend it as worth visiting to get some advice on cutting to the chase as to visa types? Though I suspect the advice on this forum is far more comprehensive (threads on UK suasages!)

Just want to make use of all avenues of advice really

P2L Sep 10th 2007 12:35 am

Re: NZ Embassy in UK

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 5292006)
has anybody made use of the advisory service offered at the NZ embassy in London?

Could you recommend it as worth visiting to get some advice on cutting to the chase as to visa types? Though I suspect the advice on this forum is far more comprehensive (threads on UK suasages!)

Just want to make use of all avenues of advice really

We made use of their services in relation to what our entry options were and queries relating to our application. We found them very helpful and swift with replies ( we contacted them by email)

HTH

turkeys Sep 10th 2007 6:54 pm

And it clearly seems to have paid off for you looking at your location now! I seem to be deliberating bewteen sending an expression of interest to apply for permanent residency or simply applying for a work visa. I must stop faffing and decide

Currently I am thinking I will submit an EOI and go for it

Applying for jobs in the meantime however, which is probably the wrong way to go about it!

turkeys Sep 10th 2007 7:31 pm

Re: NZ Embassy in UK email address?

Kev & (or Sarah)! do you happen to have that email address to hand please? I can't find it on their site

Did I see on anothe thread that you were deliberating EIO / PR vs WP? What did you go for in the end?

Cheers

Andy

P2L Sep 10th 2007 7:57 pm

Re: NZ Embassy in UK email address?

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 5295526)
Kev & (or Sarah)! do you happen to have that email address to hand please? I can't find it on their site
There is a link on the left hand side of the home page on NZIS www.nzis.govt.nz 'find an answer to your questions' and then 'contact us'
Did I see on anothe thread that you were deliberating EIO / PR vs WP? What did you go for in the end?
No we went for PR at the beginning, we didn't want to be worrying that they could send us home at any time!:unsure:
Cheers
HTH
Andy

Sarah

turkeys Sep 10th 2007 10:55 pm

thanks Sarah

it'd work wonders if I opened my eyes :blink: I was thinking that there was a UK email address, but better to speak to NZ office I suppose.

I think I'm not alone in feeling slightly daunted and confused by the range of options and considerations. And I'm supposed to be a skilled migrant!

....or is that work to residence?

The main thing on my mind at present is do I get the visa sorted out first and then start job hunting with a vengance or vice-versa. I'm not good at being thorough and researching and tend to jump straight in with job appliciations. I guess most employers can't be faffed though if you haven't yet got a permit and you start having to ask them to sponsor you.

This board is rapidly becoming my online home:)

happynz Sep 11th 2007 1:03 am

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 5296136)
I guess most employers can't be faffed though if you haven't yet got a permit and you start having to ask them to sponsor you.

This board is rapidly becoming my online home:)

That's about it in a nutshell. That's the reality for most. Sure, there are those that get hired while abroad, but many will find that the chances of securing employment would be better if they had boots on the ground.

Good luck.

henry59 Sep 11th 2007 7:06 am

I tried to e-mail London a few months ago and was not able to.

I posted the following the other day on another thread - If you need to speak to someone do not us the helpline as this will cost you minimum 1.50/min and it will be several minutes before you get through to anyone!! Instead fax them with any questions you have and ask them to call you to discuss in detail. Make a note of the number they call you on or ask them for a direct number and if you need to speak to them again you will save a lot of money (and time!). Also you do not need to visit London as all the info is available online or via telephone (done all ours this way with no problems) When you decide to go for it first book your medicals (waiting lists) and get your Subject Access (UK Police) certificates (takes up to 42 days) as these take the longest. Once again all info/links are available on the website.

NZ is a good place to come for your kids but be warned - On the whole salaries are lower and cost of living higher than the UK. Read all pertinent threads on BE so you come here with your eyes wide open!

Let me know if you need any further help/guidance,
GL Neil