British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZ citizenship - need some expert advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nz-citizenship-need-some-expert-advice-626596/)

TempGirl Aug 20th 2009 3:13 am

NZ citizenship - need some expert advice

My question is this - I qualify to apply for citizenship in every way specifically mentioned at the immigration website (number of years with PR here, good character, etc). But as I haven't filed New Zealand tax returns yet, will this make me ineligible for citizenship? Am trying to figure out if it's even worth bothering applying for citizenship if there's any uncertainty about the answer to this question, especially as I don't think they refund you your application fees if your application is turned down.

To be clear - I owe nothing to the IRD, have always paid income and other taxes and have had losses on investments (when I can finally afford to pay a tax accountant the thousands they want upfront to do my tax returns, I will in fact be owed a fair amount of money).

Would be very grateful for advice here.

Groovy72 Aug 20th 2009 12:43 pm

Re: NZ citizenship - need some expert advice

As far as I know, Internal Affairs does not include tax record filing as one of its background checks. In fact, according to the application, you only need supply your IRD number if there is some outstanding tax issue (like money owed), which doesn't seem to be your case.

TempGirl Aug 21st 2009 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Groovy72 (Post 7860082)
As far as I know, Internal Affairs does not include tax record filing as one of its background checks. In fact, according to the application, you only need supply your IRD number if there is some outstanding tax issue (like money owed), which doesn't seem to be your case.

Thanks for the response, big help.

Cheers,
TG....IF ;) (coz it IS Friday!)

Laloo Aug 22nd 2009 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by TempGirl (Post 7858981)
But as I haven't filed New Zealand tax returns yet, will this make me ineligible for citizenship? .

To be clear - I owe nothing to the IRD, have always paid income and other taxes and have had losses on investments (when I can finally afford to pay a tax accountant the thousands they want upfront to do my tax returns, I will in fact be owed a fair amount of money).

Here in the UK even if your business/investments make a loss, you still have to file a Tax Return. I'm sure it must be similar in NZ. So although you haven't been liable for Tax, you probably will still have filed a NZ tax return.