British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZ children on residence visa application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nz-children-residence-visa-application-687470/)

johnht Sep 29th 2010 2:40 pm

NZ children on residence visa application

Hi,
We've started the process of getting NZ citizenship by descent and NZ passports for our children (my wife's from NZ) so hopefully I'll soon be the only non NZ citizen in the family:lol:
When I come to fill in my partnership residency visa application, obviously (I think) I put the kids details down, saying that they live in the UK and that they will be migrating with me. Now, to me this implies that I'm going to be filling in their details/enclosing photos of them in one of the following sections of the form as 'Dependant Children included with this application', but I think they're going to be allowed in anyway as citizens by descent with their shiny new passports.
I think what I'm looking for is a place on the form where I can say that my children are NZ citizens, but I can't find it:confused:
What did any one else do?
Thanks,
John.

BevK Sep 29th 2010 3:37 pm

Re: NZ children on residence visa application

Originally Posted by johnht (Post 8884450)
Hi,
We've started the process of getting NZ citizenship by descent and NZ passports for our children (my wife's from NZ) so hopefully I'll soon be the only non NZ citizen in the family:lol:
When I come to fill in my partnership residency visa application, obviously (I think) I put the kids details down, saying that they live in the UK and that they will be migrating with me. Now, to me this implies that I'm going to be filling in their details/enclosing photos of them in one of the following sections of the form as 'Dependant Children included with this application', but I think they're going to be allowed in anyway as citizens by descent with their shiny new passports.
I think what I'm looking for is a place on the form where I can say that my children are NZ citizens, but I can't find it:confused:
What did any one else do?
Thanks,
John.

Hi John,

I had to go through the same process, as my partner is Kiwi and our two kids have both got NZ passports. I just filled in their details on page 5 and page 7of the form and that was it, no photos required. Also sent the originals (and copies) of their Certificates of NZ citizenship with the application. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.

Regards, Bev.

johnht Sep 29th 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks Bev,
I guess I'll do the same then:)
John.

JAJ Oct 1st 2010 12:37 am

Children are NZ citizens by descent? Once you settle in NZ, make sure you apply to "upgrade" their citizenship to full NZ citizenship.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent
It may make the difference between your grandchildren being (or not) NZ citizens.

Has your wife got her British citizenship?

johnht Oct 1st 2010 7:13 am

Thanks JAJ, that's useful stuff to know:)
Yes, my wife has both NZ and UK citizenship. We got married in NZ and then she moved to the UK and got her citizenship.
John.

BevK Oct 1st 2010 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8888263)
Children are NZ citizens by descent? Once you settle in NZ, make sure you apply to "upgrade" their citizenship to full NZ citizenship.
It may make the difference between your grandchildren being (or not) NZ citizens.

Thanks for that information JAJ. :thumbup: Completely in the dark about that. People like you on this forum are worth you're weight in gold. Many thanks. Bev