British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NVQ'S (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nvqs-554876/)

wobbler Aug 12th 2008 7:54 pm

NVQ'S

Hi all, I wonder if anyone could give me a little help please. We are at the very early stages of our second attempt to emigrate to NZ. We went out there in November 2006 on the LTBV but due to long and complicated reasons we reluctantly returned in April 2007. We have now gathered our thoughts, licked our wounds etc and have decided we are ready to try again.

Does anyone know if NVQ Level 3 Administration, )the examining body was RSA), is a recognised basic qualification. We're trying to scrounge as many points as possible in the hope that we don't have to go down the LTBV route again! If this does count, things are looking a whole lot rosier!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks muchly in advance!

getmethere Aug 19th 2008 11:38 am

Re: NVQ'S

Hi there

I'm sorry I don't have any good advice (hopefully someone else will come along soon with some better help) but I just wanted to say good luck.

My motto is never give up on what you want - we desparately want to get to NZ and are waiting for a decision on attempt number 1 however, should we get shot down, we fully intend to investigate alternative routes to get our dream! I hope it works out for you this time round.

I would suggest getting your qualification assessed by NZQA first. I know it takes ages and does cost a lot but if you can spare the cash it would help you to know where you stand and give you a better idea.

Rock Ape Aug 19th 2008 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by getmethere (Post 6693691)
Hi there

I'm sorry I don't have any good advice (hopefully someone else will come along soon with some better help) but I just wanted to say good luck.

My motto is never give up on what you want - we desparately want to get to NZ and are waiting for a decision on attempt number 1 however, should we get shot down, we fully intend to investigate alternative routes to get our dream! I hope it works out for you this time round.

I would suggest getting your qualification assessed by NZQA first. I know it takes ages and does cost a lot but if you can spare the cash it would help you to know where you stand and give you a better idea.

Hi,
I cannot answer you specific question however I have had considerable 'experience' of NZQA. My advice to you is to spend the extra and have a full assessment of any qualifications and NOT opt for the cheaper pre-assessment. I had a post grad obtained at one of the most respected property management colleges in the UK assessed at level 8 on a pre-assessment which is now being questioned as even valid at the subsequent full assessment causing MAJOR issues for our application!! I was told by NZQA that pre-assessment only takes 'about 15 minutes' and is, I believe an utter waste of money and not worth the paper its written on. The disclaimer that NZQA issue with it pretty much states this so avoid the headaches and get the thing done properly.

j19fmm Aug 19th 2008 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6694322)
Hi,
I cannot answer you specific question however I have had considerable 'experience' of NZQA. My advice to you is to spend the extra and have a full assessment of any qualifications and NOT opt for the cheaper pre-assessment. I had a post grad obtained at one of the most respected property management colleges in the UK assessed at level 8 on a pre-assessment which is now being questioned as even valid at the subsequent full assessment causing MAJOR issues for our application!! I was told by NZQA that pre-assessment only takes 'about 15 minutes' and is, I believe an utter waste of money and not worth the paper its written on. The disclaimer that NZQA issue with it pretty much states this so avoid the headaches and get the thing done properly.

Hi Rock Ape, any further news on your assessment yet?:confused:

Rock Ape Aug 19th 2008 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6694824)
Hi Rock Ape, any further news on your assessment yet?:confused:

Have PM'ed you

Koolcat Aug 19th 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Wobbler! Did anyone get back to you about your Level 3 Admin? Unfortunately i dont have the answer, but i also have a Level 3 in Administration and a level 3 in Community Justice - so was wondering what you had been advised? Ive got to be honest, when i looked into it, it appeared to be the Level 4 that was recognised. When ive looked into the qualifications in this country NVQ Level 4's were classed as being at degree standard, Level 3's were at A Level standard. Let me know how you get on :)

wobbler Aug 19th 2008 5:44 pm

Hi all, many thanks for your replies.

I heard back from NZQA yesterday morning, they stated as follows,

'Pre-assessment result Level 4'

'On the information available, the NZQA assesses this qualification as comparable to the learning outcome of a qualification at Level 4 on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications.'

Am still sightly confused to be honest-does this now qualify as a 'basic qualification'?? Hope so!!!!:thumbsup:

Many thanks again for all your replies.
xx

nic.gem.soph Aug 19th 2008 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6694832)
Have PM'ed you

Rock Ape, is it bad news then? :(

wobbler, I didn't bother with pre-assess, just went straight for full after all the words of advice on here.

j19fmm, heard anymore about yours yet?

nic

j19fmm Aug 19th 2008 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by wobbler (Post 6694980)
Hi all, many thanks for your replies.

I heard back from NZQA yesterday morning, they stated as follows,

'Pre-assessment result Level 4'

'On the information available, the NZQA assesses this qualification as comparable to the learning outcome of a qualification at Level 4 on the New Zealand Register of Quality Assured Qualifications.'

Am still sightly confused to be honest-does this now qualify as a 'basic qualification'?? Hope so!!!!:thumbsup:

Many thanks again for all your replies.
xx

Having heard about discrepancies with pre-assessment and then full assessment I wouldn't count on any points until a full assessment is done. Sorry to be negative but that seems to be the nature of NZQA!

Rock Ape Aug 19th 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph (Post 6695369)
Rock Ape, is it bad news then? :(

wobbler, I didn't bother with pre-assess, just went straight for full after all the words of advice on here.

nic

No, not bad news but rather a case of still no news. I think that we will get the result we want eventually but that it might just take a tad longer and will require pulling out the big guns! I'll be sure to update as and when.

RA

nic.gem.soph Aug 19th 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Rock Ape (Post 6695563)
No, not bad news but rather a case of still no news. I think that we will get the result we want eventually but that it might just take a tad longer and will require pulling out the big guns! I'll be sure to update as and when.

RA

go get um cowboy :rofl:

j19fmm Aug 20th 2008 7:31 am

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph (Post 6695369)

nic

I know my documents arrived at NZQA because they took the money but I have not even had an email confirming that, even though they said twice that they would email!! However I'm keeping my head down, not making waves and keeping everything crossed :huh: Coward ? Me?

nic.gem.soph Aug 20th 2008 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6696376)
I know my documents arrived at NZQA because they took the money but I have not even had an email confirming that, even though they said twice that they would email!! However I'm keeping my head down, not making waves and keeping everything crossed :huh: Coward ? Me?

If I remember correctly you didn't apply online, did a form and posted it all off together? :confused: I did OH's on line and can log on to system and see what stage the application is at.

nic

j19fmm Aug 21st 2008 7:21 am

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph (Post 6698519)
If I remember correctly you didn't apply online, did a form and posted it all off together? :confused: I did OH's on line and can log on to system and see what stage the application is at.

nic

Technically everyones application is on line now, that is what is taking so long as they download all paper info and merge the two systems. But as they haven't even said they've received it I don't have any way of accessing the system to check on status :( Might email Malcolm Veitch again :huh: