Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Nursing/Visa help for a newbie in the immigration world (again!!)

Nursing/Visa help for a newbie in the immigration world (again!!)

Old Aug 14th 2016, 6:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nursing/Visa help for a newbie in the immigration world (again!!)

And back to square one.......Its surprisingly hard to try and forget everything you know about one country's immigration policies in order to research another properly!

I am reading the NZ government site, and going through all the points stuff, and reading the stickies, like a good little newbie should but nothing can replace that extra bit of info from those who have been there/done that.

So, neonatal ICU nurse, aged 50-55, yonks of years of experience, looking to move from the UK to NZ to work - either temp or permanent, as yet undecided until we see what is available.
If I'm wrong anywhere, please put me right:
  • Currently registered in the UK and Australia - I believe the Trans-Tasman agreement means the AHPRA registration will transfer across from Australia?
  • The role is in the Nursing (Child Health) bit so is on the Skills list but not on any shortage lists such as those for Christchurch, so only basic points for it?
  • We get 75 points doing the test on the Immi site having seen in a stickie on here that having a diploma he would be a Level 6, so am I right that he would need a job offer before he can apply for an EOI?
  • I've seen a few posts on here saying its better to go direct to Health Boards than via agencies when job hunting? Any inside info about areas crying out for neonatal care is appreciated!

Seriously though, any help is welcome, I've never looked at NZ immigration properly before and will follow any pointers given. It is only the Immi/job stuff we need though,no need to worry about salary, schools, etc etc

Thanks in advance you lovely people!
Old Aug 14th 2016, 7:46 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing/Visa help for a newbie in the immigration world (again!!)

Morning Polly,

my understanding is that you have to register with the NZ Nursing council.
International registration / Nurses / Home - Nursing Council of New Zealand

I also believe you have to take the IELTS and gain above 7(?) could be 6 but I think 7.

Yes going direct to the Health Boards seems to be the easiest and best route to take. Hopefully a nurse will be along shortly to confirm what I have said above and also give you some sound advice
Old Aug 14th 2016, 11:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If this is the pal I believe it to be, what is the current Oz visa status please?

If he gained perm resident status , then that person can simply arrive & find a job.

Yes. He can apply to the NZ nursing council under the trans tasman agreement.

Link did not work . It is ATMR-40 on the NZNC website.

If not an OZ PR then his easier way to go is to obtain a job offer & then uplift a temp work visa. All the DHBs in NZ are on the NZIS accredited list so are free to offer a post to an overseas applicant.

District Health Boards . One is free to contact direct.

There is also Accent Recruitment who have placed a few medical staff down through the years.

He will need to get his practicing license in place first with the NZ nursing council so should start this now .

If he then feels he wishes to remain permanently in New Zealand he can start the process to residency. Either under the Skill Migrant route or simply Work to Residence.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 12:36 am
`

If not an OZ PR & looking to be NZ Resident.

Yes. He will need a job offer to be in with a chance of being pulled from the EOI pool.

He will gain a few more points if the job offer is outside of Auckland.

140 points is an automatic pull. Of late there have been EOI pulled with less that 140 and which have job offers attached.

Offer of employment = 50
Age = 5
Work exp 10+ year =30
Qualifications = 50

Gives 135 points. A good chance to be pulled.

NZ residency comes with travel restrictions for the first two years.

Usually to be resident in NZ for 184 days of each of the two years.

There is also a tax residency status which is a bit different.

Following that , one applies for residency without travel restrictions where one is free to come and go for as long as one pleases.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Morning Polly,

my understanding is that you have to register with the NZ Nursing council.
International registration / Nurses / Home - Nursing Council of New Zealand

I also believe you have to take the IELTS and gain above 7(?) could be 6 but I think 7.

Yes going direct to the Health Boards seems to be the easiest and best route to take. Hopefully a nurse will be along shortly to confirm what I have said above and also give you some sound advice
Would he still have to do IELTS if he has a current registration in Aus with AHPRA? Or does the Trans-Tasman get him out of that?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BEVS
If this is the pal I believe it to be, what is the current Oz visa status please?

If he gained perm resident status , then that person can simply arrive & find a job.

Yes. He can apply to the NZ nursing council under the trans tasman agreement.

Link did not work . It is ATMR-40 on the NZNC website.

If not an OZ PR then his easier way to go is to obtain a job offer & then uplift a temp work visa. All the DHBs in NZ are on the NZIS accredited list so are free to offer a post to an overseas applicant.

District Health Boards . One is free to contact direct.

There is also Accent Recruitment who have placed a few medical staff down through the years.

He will need to get his practicing license in place first with the NZ nursing council so should start this now .

If he then feels he wishes to remain permanently in New Zealand he can start the process to residency. Either under the Skill Migrant route or simply Work to Residence.
Cheers matey,

Thats great info, puts it all out nice and clear, thanks so much. We can get working on the registration at once and then start job hunting. Looks like Accent are visiting the UK in October too so that could be handy as he is over there at present. Not sure about permanancy at present, if a temp visa is easier to get at first. We will have a read into it further.......

I knew you guys could get us on the right track
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:23 pm
`

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Would he still have to do IELTS if he has a current registration in Aus with AHPRA? Or does the Trans-Tasman get him out of that?
There is nothing in the guide or form that states a repeat of an IELTS test. Therefore I conclude it does not need to be retaken.

Note:
If the job offer is for a year , the temp work visa will be for a year.

If the job is long term , permanent one can still select to apply for a one year temp work visa. This should avoid the need for a medical. However if one applies for a 2 yr temp work visa or a residency class visa then medicals are required.

A temp work visa is quicker than a residency application. However, if a job offer is in place and the employer is willing to wait , then a skilled residency class visa could be started.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 9:17 am
Home and Happy

There is nothing in the guide or form that states a repeat of an IELTS test. Therefore I conclude it does not need to be retaken.

Note:
If the job offer is for a year , the temp work visa will be for a year.

If the job is long term , permanent one can still select to apply for a one year temp work visa. This should avoid the need for a medical. However if one applies for a 2 yr temp work visa or a residency class visa then medicals are required.

A temp work visa is quicker than a residency application. However, if a job offer is in place and the employer is willing to wait , then a skilled residency class visa could be started.
Medical should be no issue, but worth knowing when it would be needed.

Not doing IELTS is also good - removes a lot of stress!!

Cheers
Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

You are right that you should be able to get APHRA registration transferred across.

The problem will be the chicken and egg visa issue.

Maybe go through an agency like others have said. I used Tonix (if they are still there) and they were very good and they help with explaining to the DHBs about the need for visa before job issues.

I'd go for a work visa first and get yourself feet on the ground working before you go for residency, it'll get you those much needed points and is a much quicker route here than waiting for the Residency visas to come through.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 5:34 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
You are right that you should be able to get APHRA registration transferred across.

The problem will be the chicken and egg visa issue.

Maybe go through an agency like others have said. I used Tonix (if they are still there) and they were very good and they help with explaining to the DHBs about the need for visa before job issues.

I'd go for a work visa first and get yourself feet on the ground working before you go for residency, it'll get you those much needed points and is a much quicker route here than waiting for the Residency visas to come through.
OK, thanks for that; we're gradually getting our heads round it!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:41 pm
Home and Happy

So...leading on from the help we've had so far we're looking at approaching agencies (Accent and now maybe Tonix) this week, and have all the paperwork sorted to get his registration transferred.

We are thinking from what has been posted to go for the temp work visa once he has a job offer, as BEVS suggested. Then if it works out he can go for PR from there once in NZ and gainfully employed, am I correct?
Can someone clarify my findings from the Immi website, he would need to apply for that PR before he hits 55? Or does it need to be granted before he is 55? And at that point I guess he would need a medical?

Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:03 am
`

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can someone clarify my findings from the Immi website, he would need to apply for that PR before he hits 55? Or does it need to be granted before he is 55?
As long as he is 55 and under he can apply for NZ residency .

So for him it is get that job offer.
Arrive using a temp work visa. A one year one should do unless the employer wants him to uplift a 2 yr visa to show commitment.
He can do the work to residence temp work visa and then still go straight to a skilled migrant residency application. Nothing to stop him.

Get stuck in to a Skilled Migrant Category application straight away once he has the points for the job offer in any case. It is fine to start them in tandem.

And at that point I guess he would need a medical?
Thanks
A temp work visa for a year should not need a medical
A 2 year temp work visa ( work to residence or essential skills ) will need a medical

For the Skilled Migrant Category:

Submit an EOI Expression of Interest.
Wait to be pulled from the pool of applications
Once pulled there will be a pre-check period .
Application passes that.
Invitation to Apply letter is sent . - This is really the EOI form but one now needs to send in the actual physical hard copy evidence to back up the claims on the EOI.
Have to the ready
1 - Quals
2 - Nurse license
3 - Proof of work exp
4 - NZ Job offer
5 - Police checks from relevant countries
6 - Medicals ( if he is in NZ and working then it will be cheaper here )
Old Aug 28th 2016, 7:26 am
Home and Happy

As long as he is 55 and under he can apply for NZ residency .

So for him it is get that job offer.
Arrive using a temp work visa. A one year one should do unless the employer wants him to uplift a 2 yr visa to show commitment.
He can do the work to residence temp work visa and then still go straight to a skilled migrant residency application. Nothing to stop him.

Get stuck in to a Skilled Migrant Category application straight away once he has the points for the job offer in any case. It is fine to start them in tandem.

A temp work visa for a year should not need a medical
A 2 year temp work visa ( work to residence or essential skills ) will need a medical

For the Skilled Migrant Category:

Submit an EOI Expression of Interest.
Wait to be pulled from the pool of applications
Once pulled there will be a pre-check period .
Application passes that.
Invitation to Apply letter is sent . - This is really the EOI form but one now needs to send in the actual physical hard copy evidence to back up the claims on the EOI.
Have to the ready
1 - Quals
2 - Nurse license
3 - Proof of work exp
4 - NZ Job offer
5 - Police checks from relevant countries
6 - Medicals ( if he is in NZ and working then it will be cheaper here )
Brilliant, thanks muchly!!