Nursing

Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Stevejd will become famous soon enoughStevejd will become famous soon enough
Default Nursing

To all nurses out there,
How easy did you find it registering with the NZ nursing council? I was wondering if the UK nursing qualifications need upgrading to practice in NZ as I 've noticed on my wanderings on the net that a lot of NZ nurses are degree level trained.
I trained in the old system of hospital based school, hands on training and then straight in at the deep end. I have since upgraded via a post basic diploma and now a degree via the OU (health studies) so I'm guessing I'll be ok when it comes to going for the EOI.

Not sure if my degree counts as additional points tho, it's the old nagging doubts before commiting myself (and my wallet ) to the process.

Hey ho
Steve
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice
Default Re: Nursing

Hi Steve
I too am hoping to emigrate and I trained just like you (RMN) and got my degree the hard way - I seem to have been studying continously for ever! As long as your degree is fully accredited I dont see any problem but in any case your basic qualification will get you in. I suppose having a degree might help in getting the position you want but there are people on here who are more qualified to comment than me.
Like me you probably have a lot to give up in terms of pension (mental health officer status) to get - hopefully - that better lifesyle
Have you done any research about transferring your pension or whatever?
Jackie
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Nursing

Originally Posted by jackietyfry
Hi Steve

Like me you probably have a lot to give up in terms of pension (mental health officer status) to get - hopefully - that better lifesyle
Have you done any research about transferring your pension or whatever?
Jackie
Hadn't thought about that, are you talking state pension or NHS. I've only got 2 years on my NHS then it's fully paid.

Didn't know you could transfer pensions, know any good info on this?

Leaving it for two years will drop my points by 5 or 10, not sure on that and my oldest boy will be 18 going on 19 and just finished 6th form college ready to start Uni.

I wonder if Uni is cheaper in NZ? Hmmm

Steve (still reading)
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

Damm! Thought you might have done all the research and you could let me know I am curious to know whether we can access our superan at 55when we are in NZ. If we move over I would still like to retire at 55 if we are financially established in the "new country".
Unfortunately I took my student years out of my pension when I finished my training so wont have my full years in but will have a fair chunk.
If I find out I will let you know
Jackie
Old Aug 28th 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Hope I've done my math right (and research )
Correct me if I'm wrong and I probably am, but as I understand it I'll have to pay;
£140 for the EOI
£420 migrant levey (for all 4 of us)
£685 visa fee (is that for me as a skilled migrant alone or all 4 of us)
£170 to register with th NZ nursing council
£700 - 1000 for medical fees etc
£30 for police checks (3 as junior is below check age)
£2000 or more for air fares
£600-1000 for pooch travel
About £5500 just to get there, EEKK scarey money

Have I missed anything?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:31 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stevejd
£600-1000 for pooch travel
Who is that with

Last edited by ned; Aug 28th 2007 at 7:35 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

nothing def, just a very rough figure I picked up browsing the web, do you know different?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:48 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

I've been quoted £1600 for me dog and she's a little terrier
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:49 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

By the way have you room in your container for a sofa
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ned
By the way have you room in your container for a sofa
Whoa, not got that far yet, still in the resaerch mode, was thinking of taking 2 dogs but that price is scarey
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:43 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

If you find a better price give me a shout
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Whoa, not got that far yet, still in the resaerch mode, was thinking of taking 2 dogs but that price is scarey
Off thread here but my 2 dogs cost me 3,200!!!!!!

Nursing wise I worked in the NHS for 27 years!!!!!

I have been advised to freeze my UK pension (NHS) and as far as I am aware no retirement at 55 is not an option

We can claim our UK pension (superannuation) at 60 though
Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dawn
Does this include those of us with mental health status who are entitled to retire at 55? Hope I could finish at 55 if I came over - might be a deal breaker if I had to work an extra 5 years. Could just about cope with no benefits for OH, less A/L and less pay but 5 extra years
I can see that I will have to phone the pension lady in work to see if she knows asap!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Great minds think alike jackietyfry, I'll be doing the same as I only hev 2 years to pay on NHS pension and like you wondered about the mental health officer status. I shall ring tomorrow and report back soon
Steve
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Great minds think alike jackietyfry, I'll be doing the same as I only hev 2 years to pay on NHS pension and like you wondered about the mental health officer status. I shall ring tomorrow and report back soon
Steve
Found this on the RCN site http://www.rcn.org.uk/members/direct...+as+a+nurse+in

NHS Pension Scheme - Superannuation

Nurses in the NHS pension scheme who leave the service may have their pension benefits 'frozen'. If you are moving to a new non NHS employer, whether in the UK or abroad you should seek independent advice as to whether you are able to 'transfer' your membership into your new employer’s scheme.

It is advisable to contact the NHS Pensions Agency for further details about the options available. Individual enquiries should be made to:

NHS Pensions Agency
Hesketh House, 200-220 Broadway
Fleetwood Lancashire FY7 8LG
Tel: +44 1253 774774, Fax: + 44 1253 774 860
Email: [email protected]
http://www.nhspa.gov.uk

Or, if you work for the NHS in Scotland:

Scottish Public Pension Agency
7 Tweedside Park
Tweedbank, Galashiels
TD1 3TE
Tel: + 44 1896 893100, Fax: + 441896 893214
Email: [email protected]
www.sppa.gov.uk

When contacting either office the following details should be quoted:

NHS Pension Scheme reference number or, if not known
National Insurance number
Full name
Date of birth

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.