British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Nurse question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nurse-question-732511/)

azakeen1980 Sep 15th 2011 4:30 pm

Nurse question

Hi, I am a newly qualified nurse, will have 1 years experience as a qualified nurse in March. I was looking on the skilled workers list and it states you must have 3 yrs experience. So stupid question, but I take it that means i can not claim for those points and would need to be offered a job first to bump my points up to have any chance of being selected.

Thanks in advance for any replys.
Lindsey

azakeen1980 Sep 16th 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Nurse question

:(

Persephone Sep 16th 2011 11:23 pm

Hello and welcome
It does look like a job offer may be the way forward.
You need over two years fulltime work experience to gain any points for work experience and 3 years to gain bonus points for work experience in an area of skills shortage [nursing]. I'm guessing you will not even reach the 100 pt mark without a job offer in place at the moment:unsure:
Have you worked out your points total yet? What did it come to and what was the breakdown of points?
Hope this helps. By the way, no question is stupid when it comes to working out what to do when emigrating!
P:)

shelly1971 Sep 19th 2011 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by azakeen1980 (Post 9623374)
Hi, I am a newly qualified nurse, will have 1 years experience as a qualified nurse in March. I was looking on the skilled workers list and it states you must have 3 yrs experience. So stupid question, but I take it that means i can not claim for those points and would need to be offered a job first to bump my points up to have any chance of being selected.

Thanks in advance for any replys.
Lindsey

You can always call and speak to some in NZ house in London. We found them to be really helpful and were quick to come back if you had any queries. You could ask if 3 years experience might include your time working as a student nurse..but I'm not sure. If you are considering coming over you might want to start to think about asking questions about getting registered over here. Again the NZ Nursing organisation were brilliant at helping.

dandctaylor Sep 20th 2011 11:27 pm

I was in a similar position two and a half years ago. I had to get a job offer to get enough points for us to come over. I basically checked the District Health Board's websites for vacancies and approached the Bay of Plenty DHB direct, filled in the application form, had a telephone interview, provided references and have spent the last two years working in the CCU/ICU at Tauranga hospital.
Lack of experience does make things more difficult but is definitely not an insurmountable obstacle. Good luck in your search for a job. They are there, you just may need to be flexible in where you go initially both geographically and speciality wise.
If you do come on the back of a job offer you also have to spend at least three months in that job before you can move elsewhere. This wasn't such a problem for me as the job is what i want to do and despite never having been to Tauranga prior to emigrating we have managed to come to a fantastic area. Two years in and there are times when we still feel as though we are on holiday.

David

azakeen1980 Sep 27th 2011 11:15 am

Thanks for your replys, Ill get registered and start applying.

lisamct Oct 2nd 2011 2:10 am

Before you start paying out cash to get registered etc have you looked at working out your points to see where you stand.
Remember without 3 years nursing experience (used to be less than this but they've recently changed it) you cant claim bonus points for your qualification under the Long Term Skilled Shortage criteria and your qualification wont be meet the requirements to be classed as part of the LTSSL either.

I dont know your circumstances and it might be that with a job offer you'll have plenty of points anyway but might be worth working out first.