British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Nurse and familly need help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nurse-familly-need-help-621285/)

Brucey Jul 21st 2009 1:56 am

Nurse and familly need help

Hi

We have just decided to go for it and move to NZ. We made the move to oz a few years ago but familly health problems back home brought us home again (my dad got ill and died). To be honest the heat and spiders etc did not suit my wife that well so were not considering heading back at the moment.

Anyways we need some help. My better half is a nurse so she will be the primary applicant for PR. She has registration in oz still so I think that gets us through eng lang capability on the eoi. I have a BSc Hons degree, do I claim the points for this and then get it assessed by the relevant authority in NZ while we are waiting to be pulled from the pool? ie do we claim points for everything we think we will get and prove it later. What I mean is Melissa's qualifications are recognised in Ire, Eng , Oz etc so were sure they will be accepted in NZ but she has not been assessed and registered there yet. Do we claim points for her qualifications etc and assume we can back it up after\if we get pulled from the pool.

Also were borderline to acheive 140 pts, but if Melissa has a job offer (she is a RN here in Ireland on a general medical ward but has worked in Haemo dialysis). Is it feasible for Melissa to get a job from here and that job to be held until we get Visa. If so can anyone recomend agency or health board, ie whats the best way of going about it.

Melissa's on nights so has asked me to see if anyone can help.
Any help would be fantastic and really appreciated.

Thanks

Eddie

Persephone Jul 21st 2009 12:41 pm

Re: Nurse and familly need help

Hi
I can't help with the nurse registration details but there are a few nurses on here who can probably help you with that.
Nurses are on the Long term skills shortage list and if she has the relevant qualifications then your wife would be able to claim bonus points for this- for her work experience and her qualifications. If you have nearly 140pts without a job offer you stand a good chance of being selected from the EOI pool very quickly, though the whole process will take longer without a job. You only need over 100pts to go into the pool and those with experience in a job on the LTSSL are usually picked out every fortnight so it makes sense for her to be the principal candidate. You can go through the whole process and get PR without having a job offer [I did, 130pts, qual and work exp on the LTSSL, selected about 30mins after I submitted the EOI!] Your wife would need full occupational registration in order to be granted PR though-if your profession requires it and you do not have it then you would probably get a WTR visa instead of PR.
See this: http://formshelp.immigration.govt.nz...tionPoints.htm

You put down all your details on the EOI, which then gets selected. NZIS will then look at your EOI and send out an ITA [invitation to apply] if it all adds up. You send any proof and documents back with the ITA so yes you do only have to prove everything you've claimed points for further down the line.
As the non principal candidate you can only claim 20pts for your degree, you may not need to get it assessed. If you went to a recognised university and your degree is on the "list of quals exempt from assessment"then you do not need to get it assessed at all.
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rq/default.htm

Hope this helps:D
Sue

RobDon Jul 21st 2009 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Brucey (Post 7769440)
Hi

We have just decided to go for it and move to NZ. We made the move to oz a few years ago but familly health problems back home brought us home again (my dad got ill and died). To be honest the heat and spiders etc did not suit my wife that well so were not considering heading back at the moment.

Anyways we need some help. My better half is a nurse so she will be the primary applicant for PR. She has registration in oz still so I think that gets us through eng lang capability on the eoi. I have a BSc Hons degree, do I claim the points for this and then get it assessed by the relevant authority in NZ while we are waiting to be pulled from the pool? ie do we claim points for everything we think we will get and prove it later. What I mean is Melissa's qualifications are recognised in Ire, Eng , Oz etc so were sure they will be accepted in NZ but she has not been assessed and registered there yet. Do we claim points for her qualifications etc and assume we can back it up after\if we get pulled from the pool.

Also were borderline to acheive 140 pts, but if Melissa has a job offer (she is a RN here in Ireland on a general medical ward but has worked in Haemo dialysis). Is it feasible for Melissa to get a job from here and that job to be held until we get Visa. If so can anyone recomend agency or health board, ie whats the best way of going about it.

Thanks

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I would suggest your wife investigates registration with the New Zealand Nursing Council first. Their website is easy to follow and the registration documentation can be downloaded to be completed and posted.
You can either apply directly to the DHB`s or go via a recruitment agency.
HTH ;)

strawbie Jul 21st 2009 8:30 pm

Hi

Thanks

Eddie

Hi, as said previously take a look at the NZ nursing council site where you can print off the application for registration, it can take a while to get registration through and i believe 'everyone' has to take a written english test now also. You dont need to be registered to submit an eoi but its wise to get on with the process before waiting for your ita to come. For hospital based jobs just google the district health board for whichever area you want.

alanmacc Jul 21st 2009 10:03 pm

Hi

Thanks

Eddie

Hi

Ok a couple of things that may help, firstly register with NZ nursing to make sure she has registration here in NZ, this process can be lengthy at times, once you are registered applying for jobs is much easier.

My OH did all this and applied for a job in Christchurch who held the job for 6 months to allow us to get the PR.

We used an agency for the job simply because they have the contacts and know the system, any other questions give me a shout and I will see if I can help

nero Jul 21st 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 7772212)
Hi

Ok a couple of things that may help, firstly register with NZ nursing to make sure she has registration here in NZ, this process can be lengthy at times, once you are registered applying for jobs is much easier.

My OH did all this and applied for a job in Christchurch who held the job for 6 months to allow us to get the PR.

We used an agency for the job simply because they have the contacts and know the system, any other questions give me a shout and I will see if I can help

As of January 2009 all nursing applicants irrespective of where they trained and the language they speak have to take the IELTS (Academic English Exam). Here it costs about $340 and it takes about half a day where you tested on your spoken, written and reading abilities. The tests occur about every two weeks in the main cities of NZ. You will require this for your NZ Nursing Council Application as well as a police check plus numerous other bits of paperwork.

The sooner you can get on and do these things the better it will be. The NZ Nursing Council can be very quick or very slow and there is no rhyme or reason why :confused: Good luck:fingerscrossed:

Brucey Jul 22nd 2009 1:21 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 7772283)
As of January 2009 all nursing applicants irrespective of where they trained and the language they speak have to take the IELTS (Academic English Exam). Here it costs about $340 and it takes about half a day where you tested on your spoken, written and reading abilities. The tests occur about every two weeks in the main cities of NZ. You will require this for your NZ Nursing Council Application as well as a police check plus numerous other bits of paperwork.

The sooner you can get on and do these things the better it will be. The NZ Nursing Council can be very quick or very slow and there is no rhyme or reason why :confused: Good luck:fingerscrossed:

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies and advice. One quick thing, my better half holds current registration in Oz (WA) and she thinks that there is an exemption for Nurses with Oz registration for this english language testing stuff. The NZNursing co website seems to say this because of the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.

Anyway if its true great, if not does that mean she has to travel to NZ to do the test before she can register and before we can be assesed for a visa (lots of points depend on reg for qualifications, job offer etc. I think she may be exempt because of her Oz registration but any thoughts out there would be appreciated.

nero Jul 22nd 2009 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Brucey (Post 7772555)
Hi All

Thanks for all your replies and advice. One quick thing, my better half holds current registration in Oz (WA) and she thinks that there is an exemption for Nurses with Oz registration for this english language testing stuff. The NZNursing co website seems to say this because of the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.

Anyway if its true great, if not does that mean she has to travel to NZ to do the test before she can register and before we can be assesed for a visa (lots of points depend on reg for qualifications, job offer etc. I think she may be exempt because of her Oz registration but any thoughts out there would be appreciated.

Not sure about that - definately be worth asking NZNC to be sure.

The IELTS can be taken anywhere in the world so you could take it in the UK if you need to take it. Check out the website below
http://www.ielts.org/test_centre_sea...4-c5d4331a543d

JAJ Jul 22nd 2009 2:52 am

Hi

Did you get permanent visas for Australia? If so, are they still valid?

Also, there are parts of Australia that might suit climate wise, eg Tasmania, most of Victoria and southern NSW, also the southern part of WA.

strawbie Jul 22nd 2009 12:39 pm

yes, the english test can be take most definately in the Uk, my friend has just done so.

127luton Jul 22nd 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Brucey (Post 7772555)
Hi All

Yep its true! - i was reg with queensland and only had to fill a form plus dosh and evidence of my qualification (no english test) it was smooth and stress free!
hope this helps!
Berni
x:thumbup:

Tomsk Jul 22nd 2009 7:19 pm

I've heard about there being some mutual recognition of nursing qualifications between NZ & WA, so I think that registering her with NZNC should be straightforward, although I'd check it out with NZNC, they seem to be pretty quick & efficient at responding to emails...or at least they were for me when I had a few queries regarding the registration process. Whatever it's really worth registering with NZNC before submitting the EOI as having a nursing qualification without registration with them doesn't give them sufficient evidence that she can work as a nurse in NZ.

Good luck with it :)

dianney Jul 22nd 2009 7:21 pm

Hi

Thanks

Eddie

Hi, just wanted to say we have just finished registration in new zealand we are both nurses in the uk. It took about 4 months and we didn't have to take any english speaking test. Also my friend has registered in new zealand and was also registered in australia (never worked there)he had to pay alot less than us and all went through quickly and smoothly with no test needed.
We found the new zealand nursing board answered all our questions quickly via email and we have also rang them and they were very helpful.
Best of luck with everything diannex

strawbie Jul 22nd 2009 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by dianney (Post 7774992)
Hi, just wanted to say we have just finished registration in new zealand we are both nurses in the uk. It took about 4 months and we didn't have to take any english speaking test. Also my friend has registered in new zealand and was also registered in australia (never worked there)he had to pay alot less than us and all went through quickly and smoothly with no test needed.
We found the new zealand nursing board answered all our questions quickly via email and we have also rang them and they were very helpful.
Best of luck with everything diannex

wow i'm surprised you didnt need to take test-did u start your application prior to january?? my friend works as nurse here in uk and had to take it a couple months ago!

dianney Jul 22nd 2009 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by strawbie (Post 7775129)
wow i'm surprised you didnt need to take test-did u start your application prior to january?? my friend works as nurse here in uk and had to take it a couple months ago!

Hi, we have gone through the process this year started in january. All they wanted was proof that i had been born in the uk and lived here all my life and that my qualifications had been taken in english which they were. Then i just had to fill in the application, send letter of good standing from the nursing council, letter from my employer and confirmation of my studying from the university, several references, police certificate and certified copies of qualifications, passport, birth certificate etc. All took about 4 months to go through, maybe we just got our application in before they started the compulsory test.
Now just going through the immigration process. One thing all this has taught me is to be patient, very patient. Recieved an email last week to say we have a co and she has referred my son to the ma (which we expected) but she is now on holiday so will be back in touch in the middle of august, just my luck.
Good luck to all going through the same, diannex