No Qualifications

Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:37 am
Just Joined

BNJD is just really niceBNJD is just really niceBNJD is just really niceBNJD is just really niceBNJD is just really niceBNJD is just really niceBNJD is just really niceBNJD is just really nice
Default No Qualifications

Hi,

Hoping for some advice or pointers to where to get it. Now looking at NZ after concluding that Oz Pathway D is effectively dead forever.

I am a "good" electronic engineer with 25+ years of quality work experience. However I have no qualifications.

It would be a breeze for me to get NZ or UK (NZ accepeted) quals at a level that would give me enough points.

My questions are :-

1) Do the rules require a period of work experience AFTER the quals are obtained.

2) Assuming the answer to 1) is "no", am I likely to get PR without a job or offer.

3) If work experience is req'd after quals, any idea of how long?

I'm 44 with two young kids, and would like to get out of the UK in the next two years. Apprecaite any comments.

Thanks

ps Watcha POLLY.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: No Qualifications

Hi there

welcome.

we also tried Aus first - they seem more strict - we have family there (brother) but because our skills and qualifications aren't on the magic list - we were told we couldn't join our family - how crap is that!! New Zealand seem more sympathetic to getting families together (just my point of view).

With that much experience - you should have no problem finding a job. I don't know if it would affect your employability in NZ the fact that you have no quals as I don't know much about the engineering industry - but I would have thought that 25 years experience counts for a lot with an employer - so maybe going out there on a holiday visa first, you might find a few job opportunities come up that you could then get a work permit and PR that way - just an option.

from experience however, I think you will find NZIS a bit more strict when it comes to qualifications and work experience. (particularly if you try to claim bonus points for a qualificiation/experience in a shortage area)

How many points to you get? Not including bonus points. Have you tried the points indicator.

Bonus points are a bit tricky, as we have found out. for example, if you have work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage and you want to claim BONUS points for this work experience you HAVE to have a qualification relevant to that skill (usually the same as the NZ equivalent needed to do that job) at the correct level etc in order to claim bonus points for your work experience - and without the qualification, your work experience does not qualify for bonus points and I THINK that you have to have gained the qualification prior to getting the work experience. That's just for the bonus points though!!!

With or without a qualification, you would still be able to claim normal points for your work experience if it was considered skilled. that would boost your points. I'm not really sure what would happen if you got a qualification and then tried to claim bonus points for your work experience - maybe someone else could advise - or perhaps ring/e-mail NZIS. But it is my understanding that, once you've got a qualification, you would be able to claim normal points for your qualification and then also claim normal points for your work experience in the past. There is no qualifying period of work experience needed after a qualification is completed. We only claimed for our qualifcation and left off work experience completed because OH's experience related to his qualifications was too little to qualify for points and all his other jobs were unrelated to his qualification and we didn't want to complicate matter and just made to with the bare minimum of points that would get us selected.

As far as getting PR without a job offer is concerned - we'll get back to you!! We don't have a job offer. I've heard that it all hinges on your ability to settle and find work which they will judge during the settlement interview which you will be required to have. Some people have gotten in without a job offer, some have been offered the Work to residence pathway. I'll let you know what we get!!

Sorry for very long winded e-mail, but hopefully I've helped a bit!! PM me if I haven't made sense.

Good luck