Nice Dilemma - advice please?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nice Dilemma - advice please?

After waiting ages for our WTR visas, 6 days later we have heard that we are approved in principle for PR.

However we are due to fly out on 7 Feb so will not now let the passports out of our hands. We can travel to London and get the PR sorted on the same day or we can wait until we get to NZ and do it there. Are there any advantages anyone can think of to having PR from day 1?

Thanks
Alison
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:05 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Nice Dilemma - advice please?

Originally Posted by littleal
Are there any advantages anyone can think of to having PR from day 1?

Thanks
Alison
Yes, it is always preferable to have PR. First of all you will have the right to remain indefinitely in New Zealand. Secondly, you will be able to enrol as an elector and have a say in who is running the country (not important to some, but may be important to others). You will have access to certain government schemes unavailable to non-permanent residents such as Working For Families, and a retirement scheme (it ain't a lot, but it's better than a poke in the eye). You also can apply for any job without having to check if it is on any skills shortage list.
Short form, PR is better.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Happy. I don't think I explained myself properly. We will get the PR either from the UK or in NZ, but we also have the WTR visas, so NZIS have said it is our decision whether we want to travel to London to sort out the PR now, or wait 2 weeks until we are in the country.

It doesn't sound as if it will make much difference either way but I just wondered if was more effort to change status later, and whether we should make the effort now to start off with PR.

Alison
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Oh, I see. Well, in the time frame given I think you should do whatever is more convenient.
If you do get PR stickers you will be able to swan in and use the immigration queue for Kiwis and PR holders.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

If you have PR you often find airlines will give you more luggage allowance - worth considering! Give them a call to check.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by sarahw
If you have PR you often find airlines will give you more luggage allowance - worth considering! Give them a call to check.
Really? Is it like a one time deal?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice

Congratulations.

Sorry for showing my ignorance here but I have a few questions;

1.) Once submitted, how long does it (currently) take NZIS to process the WTR visas?
2.) Once you submit a WTR visa application, do NZIS in turn evaluate you for PR too?
3.) Once you have been "approved in principle" for PR - what do you have to do - and how long does that process take?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by in_denial
Congratulations.

Sorry for showing my ignorance here but I have a few questions;

1.) Once submitted, how long does it (currently) take NZIS to process the WTR visas?
2.) Once you submit a WTR visa application, do NZIS in turn evaluate you for PR too?
I dunno 'bout these...
3.) Once you have been "approved in principle" for PR - what do you have to do - and how long does that process take?

Thanks in advance.
Once you have been approved you will need to hand over your passports and a wad of money for the migrant levies and the resident visas are pasted into your passports. That process happens rather quickly. I think in our case it was a week.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice

Thanks Happy.

WRT #2 - I should have made it clearer: littleal seemed to imply (or at least it seemed to me) that they had only applied for WTR and the approval in principle for PR came as a surprise. That's why I thought perhaps NZIS may evaluate you for PR once you submit your WTR????
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:38 pm

Thanks Happy.

WRT #2 - I should have made it clearer: littleal seemed to imply (or at least it seemed to me) that they had only applied for WTR and the approval in principle for PR came as a surprise. That's why I thought perhaps NZIS may evaluate you for PR once you submit your WTR????
Damn -- I am not much help today at all.

Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Happy.

Hi - no I had two applications in. WTR is supposed to be processed quicker than PR, usually within 2-4 weeks. We put the WTR application because it didn't look like the PR application was moving very fast. However it took so long to sort out my health status (3 months! due to a longterm condition) that it looks like by the time they decided they'd give me WTR, the PR was just a formality.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks to Happy for you help. I think the point about luggage allowance is valid as we were offered this when we booked our flights, but had to forfeit this as we wanted to stop in HK for 3 nights.

Alison
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Yes, it is always preferable to have PR. First of all you will have the right to remain indefinitely in New Zealand. Secondly, you will be able to enrol as an elector and have a say in who is running the country (not important to some, but may be important to others). You will have access to certain government schemes unavailable to non-permanent residents such as Working For Families, and a retirement scheme (it ain't a lot, but it's better than a poke in the eye). You also can apply for any job without having to check if it is on any skills shortage list.
Short form, PR is better.
Two more advantages:

1. A child born in New Zealand after PR is granted will be a New Zealand citizen by birth; and

2. The 5 year residence clock for NZ citizenship only starts ticking when you become PR, not before.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations.

Thanks in advance.
Im going this route too and was told at nz house approx 10 days.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all

I'm hoping to submit our WTR app early Feb but I'm also hoping to complete our EOI this weekend in time for this week's selection.

....it doesn't hurt to have more than one iron in the fire.