Newbie Needs Help

Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

DebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant future
Smile Newbie Needs Help

I'm a newbie to this site, and I have to say I think it is fantastic.

I am looking into emmigrating to NZ and need some advice.

A few of my queries are:

Can I go to NZ on a 6 month tourist visa and look for work while I'm there?

Would I need to submit and EOI before doing this or can this be done if I get a job while out there?

I have looked into how many points I could get and to be honest I'm not really sure if I am answering the questions correctly, as the result I get vary. I did get a free online assessment done by a no visa no fee agent and they got my points to 165. Would it be worth paying the agent to submit my EOI only?

On a more personal note, I am planning this move on my own. Any recommendations on where I should look, North or South? Has anybody else done this on there own, as looking through this website it seems to be couples or families?

Looking forward to reading your advice.
Deb
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie Needs Help

Hi DebsN and welcome to the site

I'll try and answer:

If you go over there on a tourist visa then you can look for work but obviously cannot do any work unless you get either PR or a temp work visa.
You could submit your EOI whenever you want as you can add a job offer to it later on if you get one. I will be going over on a tourist visa but waited until I was able to send my ITA in before doing it as I didn't want to have to send it in from NZ.

If you were to find a job and apply from NZ then it would be dealt with over there. Alternatively you could get a temporary work visa depending on the job and then apply for PR, should time be an issue.

165 points is an awful lot of points to get without having a job offer, I'm intrigued as to how you got such a high score; sorry being nosy!! . Have you tried registering for an EOI online and starting to fill it in as that will add up your points as you go along? That way you'll know how many you would have without a job offer and whether it is worth applying before you go.
You don't pay for this until you have finished and press submit You'll also see what the form looks like and assess whether it's worth paying an agent to fill it in for you. My answer would be that it isn't unless there is something unusual or potentially difficult about your application!. It is fairly easy to do and all they can do is fill it in, you'd still have to supply the details!

Get help on here if you get stuck on any bits of it and someone should come along and help

I'm also doing all the form filling and application myself as the other half is a NZ citizen and is back in NZ now. So I'm sort of midway between being a couple and a single when it comes to immigration! I don't have to worry about the practical stuff like accommodation and deciding where to live [and I do realise how much easier it makes it for me] but as far as the visa system is concerned it's me on my own I've had to consider all the different options and decide for myself which is the best way forward. No point asking him, he knew nothing about NZIS. Which I expected, I would know little about how to apply for residency in the UK

Hope this helps and isn't too waffly!
Good luck, keep in touch and let us know how you get on
Sue
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue R
I will be going over on a tourist visa but waited until I was able to send my ITA in before doing it as I didn't want to have to send it in from NZ.

If you were to find a job and apply from NZ then it would be dealt with over there. Alternatively you could get a temporary work visa depending on the job and then apply for PR, should time be an issue.
Sue, I am assume you're a UK citizen, do you really need a tourist visa to enter NZ? Just curious

165 points is an awful lot of points to get without having a job offer, I'm intrigued as to how you got such a high score; sorry being nosy!! . Sue
I also want to know
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Ahmadj,
As a UK citizen I get issued a holiday visa lasting 6months at the border. There is no charge for this, just a stamp in the passport stating when I entered

Sue
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Hello Ahmadj,
As a UK citizen I get issued a holiday visa lasting 6months at the border. There is no charge for this, just a stamp in the passport stating when I entered

Sue
Good to know
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

DebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant futureDebsN has a brilliant future

Hi Sue,

Thanks for all the advice. I think I might try filling in the form to get an indication of how I might fair, and if I get stuck I'll add a post for help.

I have no idea how I got the 165 points, I would like to know myself, it would make filling in the EOI alot easier! These agents don't actually tell you where you got the points, just the total.

When are you making your way out to NZ?

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.
Deb
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:32 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Hi Deb

How are you getting on with the EOI? It does just add the points on as you go along and you can see a running total.
Just do the relevant bits to start with: age, work experience, qualifications, any family in NZ. That way you'll get an idea of points first. You get extra points if you've gained any work experience or quals in NZ.

I'm making my way out to NZ next month via Asia, will then have to come back here and do some locum work until I get a visa. If I get a job though...
Mainly going to see Mr Sue, have a long holiday and do some job hunting!

Sue
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Hiya,

I started filling it in and then I got kicked out of the site, temporarily unavailable so I'll try again later.

But I see what you mean about it adding the points as you go along, so fingers crossed I get the points.

Hope you have a great time on your extended hols and here's to you getting a job while your there.

Will keep you informed on how I'm getting on.

Deb
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

We completed our EOI without an agent and whilst it can take a good couple of hours to complete you can keep saving a bit at a time until ready to submit at which point you will need to pay.

Thought the process was not too difficult at the end of the day and can not see why you need to pay thousands of pounds using an agent.

You will find the system can be slow and sometimes will not let you access it as the server is down.:curse:

Good luck.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 4:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DebsN
I'm a newbie to this site, and I have to say I think it is fantastic.
This lot are a bit good aint they.

Can I go to NZ on a 6 month tourist visa and look for work while I'm there?
Yes you can but don't wave your intentions under immigration's noses. A tourist visa is just that. It's for someone coming in on a holiday. You will need to book onward passage not a one way ticket.

Would I need to submit an EOI before doing this or can this be done if I get a job while out there?
No. You don't need to submit an EOI before going on a reccy unless of course you have enough points to do so.

What occupation are you in. What qualifications do you have ?

[QUOTE=DebsNI have looked into how many points I could get and to be honest I'm not really sure if I am answering the questions correctly, as the result I get vary. I did get a free online assessment done by a no visa no fee agent and they got my points to 165. [/quote]

I take it you have now done the Points Indicator on the official NZIS website or have started an online EOI. What points did you come up with for yourself?

Originally Posted by debsn
Would it be worth paying the agent to submit my EOI only?
No. Waste of money if you are a straightforward application