Newbie: Is EOI straighforward

Old Aug 18th 2009, 8:15 am
Nunu

Default Newbie: Is EOI straighforward

Hi
Sorry I'm a newbie and will look into this more - but was just wondering if things were reasonably straighforward and maybe I am not taking things into account.
My OH gets 150 points and we are looking at submitting an EOI from what I can see is it the case that given we have over 140 points we should be accepted for a PR visa?
And if so can anyone give me a very rough idea of the type of timescale involved in processing the full Visa (assuming there are no major problems along the way).
I recognise that this might be difficult - but was really after a range is it more likely to be 6 months or 2 years type thing.

Its just that this visa seems straightforward given we have the points and that we should look at it further but perhaps we should be looking wider if we waht to get there by July 2010?

Thanks

Old Aug 18th 2009, 11:19 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie: Is EOI straighforward

Hi Nunu
Welcome! Yes applying for PR is fairly straightforward and you can certainly do it on your own- I did last year.Do you have a job offer? Whereabouts are you in the world? What job do you do?? Lots of questions!
With 150 points your EOI will get selected at the next fortnightly draw. This does not mean you will get a PR visa. Once NZIS have looked at your EOI and decided that the points score adds up, they then send out an ITA [invitation to apply]. The ITA is basically a copy of your EOI and you have 4m to return it along with all your documents proving that you are in fact eligible for that amount of points. NZIS will then decide whether to decline/ issue you with PR or issue a Work to Residence visa.
So yes if you have the points and are able to obtain occupational registration if that is necessary in your profession then you are likely to get PR.

Timescales vary- I took 7m to go from EOI submitted and selected to PR approved in principle- no job offer and 130pts.

The link below directs you to the processing times for London, SMC
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ssingtimes.htm
ALso have a look at the timelines under some of the posters on here to give you more of a idea of what's happening on the ground so to speak.

If you want to be there by July next year then start applying now. If you get PR then you have 6m to get the visas in your passports and then another 12m to enter NZ so up to 18m to get there once you're granted PR. If you get WTR then you only have 3m to get those visas and another 3m to enter NZ so much less time. If you think you may get WTR then you can stretch out the process-send your ITA back a little later for example.
Would need to know a little more about you to get an idea of which one you may get.
Sue
Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:07 pm
Nunu

Thanks for this Sue

Your post has really helped - it directed me to a few things that are now making a lot more sense!

No job offer - we have been finding it a bit of a catch 22 situation - potential employers want a PR visa to hand (although we have not been looking too hard yet). OH is on the long term shortage list (so am I but he is the main applicant) and he has 8 years+ in that occupation.

It sounds as if it is important to put forward a strong case then to get the PR rather than WTR if you don't have a job offer.
We had been hoping to get the PR visa then look for work ideally finding something before moving - but if not coming over and finding work. We have pretty good savings that can support us (although would prefer to be putting it into a home). OH has a sibling in NZ which we also hoped would help.

Thanks again - this has really helped direct my search and options.
Nunu

Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:17 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nunu,
I'm not sure of the criteria that NZIS use to decide on whether to give PR or WTR but from what I can tell from on here most people do seem to get PR rather than WTR.
The only cases I can think of where someone was given WTR instead of PR was when their profession required occupational registration and that has been impossible to gain for some reason. So look at whether you require registration and how easy that is-if you're both on the LTSSL and in different professions then you could always swap who is the principle candidate.
If you apply without a job offer you will have an interview at the end of the process to see how you will settle in NZ. It's not too onerous and only lasted about 20mins for me. It is after that that they decide on PR or WTR
My job is on the LTSSL and required registration which I was able to do and received PR rather than a WTR visa. So you shouldn't have any problems getting PR I would have thought. You don't have to put forward a case for getting PR-just prepare for the interview [plenty of previous threads on here with the questions that tend to get asked] Even if you do get WTR you still have 9m in which to find a job once in NZ.
By the way, this WTR visa is NOT the same as the other WTR visa which takes you 2y to gain PR!

I did just what you are thinking of doing, got PR, came over and then found a job once here. Slightly more complicated than that due to wanting to travel first but that was more or less what I did

Last edited by Persephone; Aug 19th 2009 at 2:19 am. Reason: missed bit out