New Zealand WHV

Old Dec 1st 2014, 3:19 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 23
Midlander20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand WHV

Hi everyone I was wandering if anyone could help me. I've been looking at coming over to visit NZ sometime in march/April to see if I like the country enough to do a stretch over there. I previously did a working holiday in Australia as a younger naive person with little concrete work experience. Since then I've obtained 2 years office work experience and obtained a aat level 2 qualification. I have heard contrasting things about Auckland from people I know who live there and have been told Wellington is a much nicer city to live in by friends in Australia. I have also heard that it is quite hard to get work in new zealand on a working holiday visa? I would be aiming to do office work in finance related work as I do in UK. Could anyone advise me on this?

Finally if I like new zealand when visiting ill hopefully be coming back august time to give it a go and hopefully enjoy a better living standard than the cold UK ha.

Thanks Midlander20
Midlander20 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 3:31 am
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,864
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

firstly how old are you? You have to be under 31 for WHV
United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme

also to get permanent visa you will need to have some skills that the country requires or get a job through an accredited company
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 3:47 am
  #3  
.
 
Snap Shot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Posts: 2,744
Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Originally Posted by Midlander20 View Post
I have heard contrasting things about Auckland from people I know who live there and have been told Wellington is a much nicer city to live in.
I've got in-laws in Auckland. It's ok as a big city. Expensive. Infrastructure seems to be an issue although they have a massive road building programme on. So, it doesn't take much for the roads to get choked with traffic. Just like they do around your way at present. Yes, really.

I prefer Wellington. However, I live 120 miles north of Wellington in a provincial town on the coast as my husband works here and we won't be moving to Wellington anytime soon.

It's a two and half hour drive from where we live to Wellington. So, ok for an evening out to see a show or even stay the night like we did when we saw Lorde in concert and also Neil Finn (voice of Crowded House) in the last few months.

I've had a good look round Wellington town centre. I liked it, for a day trip. I'm over twenty years older than you though ! Living there would be a different prospect entirely.

It's got a reputation for being a windy city which can't be denied. However, I'm reliably informed it's not even the third windiest place in New Zealand. It rains a lot too.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 1st 2014 at 3:57 am. Reason: Wellington
Snap Shot is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 4:32 am
  #4  
.
 
Snap Shot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Posts: 2,744
Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Originally Posted by Midlander20 View Post
I have also heard that it is quite hard to get work in new zealand on a working holiday visa?
It's been quite hard to get work in New Zealand full stop in my experience.

I work in Admin. I've only been able to get short contract roles in New Zealand, which in their turn have been few and far between. A lot of jobs aren't advertised as temporary or fixed term but on reading the job description that's what they are.

You can only do temporary jobs on a WHV anyway. The usual route will be employment agencies. Most of them are the waste of space that the employment agencies are in Britain but, usual story, keep looking and one will come up trumps sooner or later.

Other advertised jobs are on:

TradeMe.co.nz
Govt jobs.co.nz
Seek.co.nz

Good luck.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 1st 2014 at 4:35 am. Reason: as not at
Snap Shot is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 4:55 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 23
Midlander20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
firstly how old are you? You have to be under 31 for WHV
United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme

also to get permanent visa you will need to have some skills that the country requires or get a job through an accredited company
Hi ill be 22 if ill go in august. Yes I've heard about the skills list but as my previous experience has shown being in a country is a lot different to applying to jobs in a country in getting sponsored etc. A few people in aus I know got sponsored for things which would never be on a skilled list.
Midlander20 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 5:25 am
  #6  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,085
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Hi there and welcome to the NZ forum.

As I am sure you know , a working holiday visa is really intended for those wishing to have an experience of a country and also be able to top up their funds whilst visiting.

It will not be hard for you to find WHV work of the usual sort. Plenty of vineyards and orchards. Plenty of hotels and bars. You may even be able to obtain temp work in an office, the emphasis being on temp.

My opinion only but you don't come to NZ for the weather.

Your previous experience of Australia does not translate to New Zealand.

If you decide that you would wish to remain permanently then you will need to have something that NZ wants.

A few people in aus I know got sponsored for things which would never be on a skilled list
What things ?

Correct me if I am wrong . I think an AAT2 is basic entry level book keeping and accounts. This is unlikely to be enough for you to uplift a residency application.
BEVS is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 2:30 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 23
Midlander20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Hi there and welcome to the NZ forum.

As I am sure you know , a working holiday visa is really intended for those wishing to have an experience of a country and also be able to top up their funds whilst visiting.

It will not be hard for you to find WHV work of the usual sort. Plenty of vineyards and orchards. Plenty of hotels and bars. You may even be able to obtain temp work in an office, the emphasis being on temp.

My opinion only but you don't come to NZ for the weather.

Your previous experience of Australia does not translate to New Zealand.

If you decide that you would wish to remain permanently then you will need to have something that NZ wants.

What things ?

Correct me if I am wrong . I think an AAT2 is basic entry level book keeping and accounts. This is unlikely to be enough for you to uplift a residency application.
Hi yes I know it wouldn't be enough to move on sat but I've heard it is also studied over there? I know may only chance to stay longer would be to work really hard if I managed even to get temp work out there like friends have

And I've heard the weather is better than UK but quite extreme in some areas I heard nelson is suppose to be the sunny area?
Midlander20 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 2:33 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 23
Midlander20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Thanks for all the replies so far guys keep them coming your advice is very useful.
Midlander20 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 7:38 pm
  #9  
She'll be right
 
Pom_Chch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Near the beach, NZ
Posts: 1,404
Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Hi Midlander20,

I originally came out to NZ on a WHV. I am on the South Island in Christchurch though, so can't comment on how it is on the North Island.

Generally this time of year there is a fair bit of work going and will be probably until Feb/March time. Work tends to trail off after April/May due to going into off peak season. It is summer here now and therefore peak season so many places will be busy and will need workers. I landed in Chch on a Monday at the end of January 2013 and had work as a cleaner by Friday. Not the most glamorous of jobs but it did me fine until I then got a temp job for 7 weeks at Chch hospital on reception. You may well find some admin work, not too sure about finance as I don't know the industry well. If you aren't fussy with the type of job you get there will be plenty of options.

In my personal experience I have not found work hard to come by down here. In the two years I have found work as a cleaner, bar tender, barrista, customer services rep, admin and then my profession. Some of which I never had experience in. All of which on a WHV. Make sure you put "quick learner, hard working with a can do attitude" on your CV if you are going for a job without experience! Check out:

Backpacker Jobs & Work in New Zealand

Heaps of temp jobs for WHV holders on there. Some will not always pay you, they will give you work in exchange for a room so make sure you look out for that if you are wanting to be paid. I found my cleaning jobs on this website and there will be plenty of fruit picking jobs on there too.

My advice would be not to home in on a particular area in NZ. Go where the work is. There are some amazing places outside of the cities in NZ!

Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions
Pom_Chch is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 7:54 pm
  #10  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,085
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

I suppose we all need to be clear of Midlanders intentions here.

Is it just work for a WHV = no problem

Is it coming out and hope to remain permanently = not easy with no skill set to speak of.

Further note. To study here will incur international student fees.

If the goal is to remain permanently, then I would council to finish the AATs in the UK to a level 4 - advanced.

It could be possible for the OP to gain a general office job & then be offered a permanent contract. He could then in theory uplift a temporary work permit. The problem is that the NZ employer would have to show that there is no NZ citizen or resident that could do that job and there are plenty and more that are queuing up for that work.

He could gain an office job with an accredited employer and then take up a temporary work permit and keep on renewing that year on year. Thing is unless that work paid $55K+ it would not lead to residency.

If the OP is just looking for a year or two in NZ, then there will be plenty of seasonal work of all types.
BEVS is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 10:24 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 23
Midlander20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch View Post
Hi Midlander20,

I originally came out to NZ on a WHV. I am on the South Island in Christchurch though, so can't comment on how it is on the North Island.

Generally this time of year there is a fair bit of work going and will be probably until Feb/March time. Work tends to trail off after April/May due to going into off peak season. It is summer here now and therefore peak season so many places will be busy and will need workers. I landed in Chch on a Monday at the end of January 2013 and had work as a cleaner by Friday. Not the most glamorous of jobs but it did me fine until I then got a temp job for 7 weeks at Chch hospital on reception. You may well find some admin work, not too sure about finance as I don't know the industry well. If you aren't fussy with the type of job you get there will be plenty of options.

In my personal experience I have not found work hard to come by down here. In the two years I have found work as a cleaner, bar tender, barrista, customer services rep, admin and then my profession. Some of which I never had experience in. All of which on a WHV. Make sure you put "quick learner, hard working with a can do attitude" on your CV if you are going for a job without experience! Check out:

Backpacker Jobs & Work in New Zealand

Heaps of temp jobs for WHV holders on there. Some will not always pay you, they will give you work in exchange for a room so make sure you look out for that if you are wanting to be paid. I found my cleaning jobs on this website and there will be plenty of fruit picking jobs on there too.

My advice would be not to home in on a particular area in NZ. Go where the work is. There are some amazing places outside of the cities in NZ!

Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions
Hey thanks for your help. Could I ask you what Christchurch is like to live in and why you chose the south Island after the earthquakes damaging the city. Ive also done hospitality work and retail work before. Could I ask you what your proffession is and what other areas of NZ you would recommend.
Midlander20 is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 10:48 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 23
Midlander20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I suppose we all need to be clear of Midlanders intentions here.

Is it just work for a WHV = no problem

Is it coming out and hope to remain permanently = not easy with no skill set to speak of.

Further note. To study here will incur international student fees.

If the goal is to remain permanently, then I would council to finish the AATs in the UK to a level 4 - advanced.

It could be possible for the OP to gain a general office job & then be offered a permanent contract. He could then in theory uplift a temporary work permit. The problem is that the NZ employer would have to show that there is no NZ citizen or resident that could do that job and there are plenty and more that are queuing up for that work.

He could gain an office job with an accredited employer and then take up a temporary work permit and keep on renewing that year on year. Thing is unless that work paid $55K+ it would not lead to residency.

If the OP is just looking for a year or two in NZ, then there will be plenty of seasonal work of all types.
Thanks for your advice Bevs and as much as I would like to do AAT complete im not too keen on spending 2 more years in UK doing it I want to experience a new country and lifestyle again. I guess my best option will be to speak to AAT NZ about the fees and see If i can do it while on a WHV or will need a student visa. I guess office temping if what I should look for, is there any other cities bar the Wellington and Auckland where there is a brain drain or a large labour shortage? Thanks for all advice given.
Midlander20 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 6:48 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lower Hutt
Posts: 243
janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Hi Midlander, I'm an AAT Technician, qualified in 2005. When we came over, a lot of recruitment agents were from, or had worked in the UK, so they knew about AAT, and used it as a benchmark of my ability. It is recognised by the local body, but the only way to qualify as an NZ AT is to get a diploma from a Uni or Poly here. I'm currently studying for a higher UK qual, and I'm doing it by distance learning, as there are no training providers for that here, it's mainly Unis doing accountancy degrees.

I suspect it's a similar position with AAT. So on the one hand, if you're a self starter, you could probably carry on with your studies through distance learning, without worrying about paying international fees. On the other hand, if you need tutor support, and you don't end up in a finance job where people can help you, you might find it difficult. Plus being in a new country, with lots to see and do isn't conducive to hunkering down over the books ;-)

Maybe carry on to full membership in the UK, as it does pay off (it's an asset that generates future cash flows!), and you'll be getting more experience as you get there, which will give you a better standing over here in a couple of years.

HTH.
janiejones is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 7:51 pm
  #14  
She'll be right
 
Pom_Chch's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Near the beach, NZ
Posts: 1,404
Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

Originally Posted by Midlander20 View Post
Hey thanks for your help. Could I ask you what Christchurch is like to live in and why you chose the south Island after the earthquakes damaging the city. Ive also done hospitality work and retail work before. Could I ask you what your proffession is and what other areas of NZ you would recommend.
I love living in Chch. It's a bit battered and bruised but everything is still accessible and I like the thought of being part of the city whilst it gets rebuilt. New restaurants, gyms and other businesses are opening up now and it's good to see what's popping up. My partner and I have good jobs and the opportunity to progress our careers whilst having a lifestyle we both enjoy. Having said that, I suppose I didn't move to NZ just for Chch, more for Canterbury and NZ as a whole. There's so much to see and do here from an outdoorsy perspective and that was a big pull. Chch doesn't come without frustrations though - roadworks everywhere, roads closed, cones everywhere, not much of a city center as such. Those things are a headache but the good outweighs the bad in my opinion.

I work as a personal trainer specializing in helping people with injuries. I have my own business now and also have a part time job.

A really great place to consider on a WHV would be Queenstown. It's a fantastic place! A big backpacker/tourist scene there where people go for extreme sports as well as other things. There's quite a lot of life there particularly in the peak season - plenty of bars, restaurants, cafes etc. For someone on a working hol in NZ Queenstown is a must!
Pom_Chch is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:33 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 23
Midlander20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand WHV

I have been told about Queenstown haha.
Midlander20 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.