British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New Zealand Visa for Colombian national (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-zealand-visa-colombian-national-620314/)

aleruri Jul 15th 2009 1:52 pm

New Zealand Visa for Colombian national

Hi,
as everybody knows we got our pre-grant letter and we are planning to go to NZ to be able to get our PRs.
As Colombian I need to apply for a Visitor Visa for NZ, can somebody tell me how hard is this to get? How long you have to wait for this visa to be approved? How was your experience about getting the stamp on your passport over there.
Thanks in advance.

PD:I know there is another thread about this, but anybody there mention anything about the process of getting the NZ visa itself.

eva-usa Jul 15th 2009 5:20 pm

Re: New Zealand Visa

I think if you have Australian PR then u can stay / work in NZ & dont need any special visas.

Mukesam Jul 15th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by eva-usa (Post 7755349)
I think if you have Australian PR then u can stay / work in NZ & dont need any special visas.

But your period of stay in NZ is not included in your stay in AUS, so if you don't live in AUS for atleast 2 years in 5 years of PR and are in NZ at the time of Expiration of VISA then your AUS PR is cancelled. So, need to keep that in mind.

Pollyana Jul 15th 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by eva-usa (Post 7755349)

As he hasn't yet got the PR, but has to go offshore in order to get it, he will need to get whatever visa is appropriate for someone of his nationality to enter NZ.

I'm going to move this to the NZ forum as its more likely that someone there can point the OP in the direction of the appropriate visa page :)

BEVS Jul 15th 2009 10:23 pm

Re: New Zealand Visa for Colombian national

The OP is correct. In order to enter New Zealand they will need to apply for a Visitors Visa as they do not come from a listed visa free country. They do not have Australian PR but are using New Zealand as an off-shore springboard to activate their Australian PR.

The correct NZIS visitor visa application page is HERE

I found this on the NZIS Sydney office website,

VISITOR’S VISA CHECKLIST
    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
    • The processing time for a FULLY completed application and for most nationalities is approximately 7 working days. Please check with our Immigration Contact Centre on 02 9223 0144 for further information.
    • Requests for any “URGENT” processing MUST be made in writing and will be decided on a case by case basis.
    • Please ensure that you supply the correct application form, fees and documents mentioned on the list when submitting your application.
    • Incomplete applications may result in your application being returned unprocessed or processing of your application could be delayed.
    • Please note that, additional information may be requested to arrive at an informed decision during processing of your application.
    • Please provide photocopies of all originals you wish to be returned.
    • Please do not pay for any travel arrangements BEFORE a visa is granted. We accept no responsibility if you choose to purchase, nor we will expedite processing due to fixed travel dates. You risk a significant financial loss if you disregard this advice.
    • Visa is not required for New Zealand if you are a holder of a current Australian Permanent Residence visa OR a current Australian Resident’s Return Visa.
    • For security reasons, all travellers should have their own valid passport/travel document. Children endorsed on parents’ passports/travel documents normally will not be granted visas unless a letter is obtained from their country of Mission stating the reasons for not owning one.
    • Return postage: Only the following postal services are recommended for secure return of passports.
      • Express Post Platinum: Overnight delivery. Signature required on delivery; or
      • Registered Post Envelope: Delivery could take up to 3-4 business days. Signature required on delivery; or
      • A pre-arranged pre-paid courier service.
    • Return postage is your responsibility. Where this is no return postage, return of passports will be delayed.

MINIMUM LODGEMENT REQUIREMENTS:
    • A fully completed current Visitor Visa Application form NZIS1017
    • A current valid Passport/travel document together with a photocopy of the bio page of your passport and current Australian visa.
    • One recent coloured passport-sized photo. Please write down your name at the back.
    • Nationals of Austria, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Philippines (for visit less than 59 days), Russia, Turkey or the United States, are covered by Fee Waiver agreement with New Zealand. Therefore no application fee is required.
    • Nationals of Fiji, Samoa, Tonga & Papua New Guinea – a fee of a$85.00 is required.
    • For all other Nationals: An application fee of A$115.00 is required.
        • Copy of the official travel itinerary showing flights in and out of New Zealand. You must show that you have the right of entry (ie.valid visa) to the country you will be entering directly after New Zealand when you lodge this application. Please note that a number of countries require visas, even for transiting purposes. Eg. If you are travelling back to Australia, you need to show that you are holding a valid entry to Australia at the time of lodgement
        • Recent itemised bank statement with your account name on it, showing funds to maintain your visit to NZ including airfare, accommodation and living expenses.
        • Additional documents please refer to Sections A – G.

this seems to indicate a general turn round time of 7 days for a straightforward application. Of course, each application may differ in this.

aleruri Jul 15th 2009 10:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Visa for Colombian national

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7756171)
        The OP is correct. In order to enter New Zealand they will need to apply for a Visitors Visa as they do not come from a listed visa free country. They do not have Australian PR but are using New Zealand as an off-shore springboard to activate their Australian PR.

The correct NZIS visitor visa application page is HERE

I found this on the NZIS Sydney office website,

this seems to indicate a general turn round time of 7 days for a straightforward application. Of course, each application may differ in this.

Thank you very much for such detailed response. I have a very good idea now. :thumbup: