British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New Zealand Immigration Process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-zealand-immigration-process-850927/)

sealy Jan 17th 2015 12:24 pm

New Zealand Immigration Process

Hi all,

I am a new member. I want to find out about the possibility of emigrating to NZ.

I am a recent graduate of civil engineering. I understand my occupation is on the "long term skill shortage list". I've done some research but found it confusing. My occupation is in the shortage list (but there is a short term list as well!). I think it is also on the absolute shortage list.

Does this mean I can claim points for being on long term list as well as on the absolute list?

The process seems to be much like Australia's where you submit expression of interest. But I believe I have to pay about $500 when submitting EOI unlike Australia's system which is free for EIO submission.

I dont think I have to assess my skills because i did my degree at a top uk university which is accredited so can go through washington accord?

Another question is about settlement, if my occupation is on the long term list would I get permanent residency (like Australia) or a short term work visa which I found on their website.

escapedtonz Jan 18th 2015 5:43 am

Re: New Zealand Immigration Process

There are actually 3 shortage lists :-

LTSSL (Long Term Skill Shortage List)
This identifies occupations where there is a sustained and on-going shortage of highly skilled workers both globally and throughout New Zealand.

CSSL (Canterbury Skill Shortage List)
This list contains occupations in critical shortage in the Canterbury region following the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes. It draws on the occupations on the Immediate and Long Term Skill Shortage Lists relevant to the Canterbury rebuild.

ISSL (Immediate Skill Shortage List)
This list includes occupations where skilled workers are immediately required in New Zealand and indicates that there are no New Zealand citizens or residents available to take up the position. This enables faster processing of the application.

You cannot claim points for being on more than one list. I don't even think there is the facility to even try on the EOI?

Yes there are costs to submit EOI to Immigration NZ. All depends where you are a citizen of and where you reside at the time of application. i.e. If you are a UK citizen and are applying from the UK the cost will be NZ $ 510.

There is no separate skills assessment for NZ like ACS in Australia.
You make a claim on the EOI regarding your skills and experience and if you are subsequently sent ITA (Invitation to apply) then you must submit the evidence that proves the claims made on the EOI, so it is the Immigration NZ Case Officer that will assess your skills against the evidence that you have provided.

If you apply for Resident visa via SMC WITHOUT a job offer then the final stage of the process is a telephone interview by the Immigration NZ case officer. They will ask a whole host of questions pertaining to your EOI submission plus other questions to establish your likelihood of settling in NZ. This is the stage where the Case Officer decides if you are a viable immigrant who is likely to settle, so no-one can say what you would be awarded in terms of a visa. It will be one of 3 outcomes....
(1) Declined
(2) Job search visa
(3) Resident Visa

MrsFychan Jan 18th 2015 10:23 pm

not sure what escapetonz means by "no separate skills assessment" if your qualification has not been gained by an appropriate body you will need to get it assessed, the CO will not do the assessment. not sure if you will require assessment, you would need to check the visa criteria to suss that out. Also not sure if you would need to be registered by a NZ body like electricians and nurses have to so again something you would need to check out.

If I have misread/interpreted escapetonz explanation then I apologise.

sealy Jan 18th 2015 11:41 pm

Thanks for your replies.

When I went to NZ immi website to calculate points, I answered yes to questions about occupation on long term and absolute shortage list (because civil engineering was on both lists) and the result was 190 points! which made me think I could have made a mistake by answering yes to both questions.

My degree is recognized in the uk by relevant body, hence Washington accord applies so if I am right I dont need to get a separate assessment.

So from what I gather it is all up to the caseworker to decide whether to grant a permanent visa or a job search (temp?) visa?
Obviously its more difficult to get a job offer if not in NZ and with no visa as such.
Do you know what criteria they have for assessing who would be suitable for settlement?

Thanks

MrsFychan Jan 19th 2015 1:58 am

Originally Posted by sealy (Post 11537816)
My degree is recognized in the uk by relevant body, hence Washington accord applies so if I am right I dont need to get a separate assessment.

it needs to be a recognised establishment on the NZ Immigration website, does the establishment appear on the exempt list there? or maybe I am misunderstanding what Washington Accord is as not heard it mentioned before

escapedtonz Jan 19th 2015 7:19 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11537794)
not sure what escapetonz means by "no separate skills assessment" if your qualification has not been gained by an appropriate body you will need to get it assessed, the CO will not do the assessment. not sure if you will require assessment, you would need to check the visa criteria to suss that out. Also not sure if you would need to be registered by a NZ body like electricians and nurses have to so again something you would need to check out.

If I have misread/interpreted escapetonz explanation then I apologise.

I mean what it says on the tin :lol:
You seem to have misunderstood. No problem.

To make it clear :blink:

Skills/Work experience and qualifications are completely different.

Qualifications must be assessed by NZQA if they aren't exempt. This must be done before submitting EOI, but in the terms of skills/work experience there is no assessment body separate to that of Immigration NZ. NZQA don't assess skills/work experience. It can be submitted to them as supporting evidence along with an application to have up to 4 individual qualifications assessed per person as it can help the application process but the skills/work experience itself isn't assessed.

Skills/work experience is "assessed" by the immigration case officer. They use the evidence you provide relating to skills/work experience to establish that the claim you made for your skills/work experience is supported by the evidence provided. I.E. If you make a claim that you are a brain surgeon and have been a brain surgeon for 10 years then they'll look through your submission and expect to see evidence that you have been employed as a brain surgeon for 10 years by suitable employer references or job appointments, evidence of salary slips etc etc. along with the relevant professional practice certificates etc etc.
In addition to this, a person's actual occupation may mean that their skills/work experience needs assessment along with qualifications by another body totally separate from Immigration NZ and NZQA....
Take my example occupation as a brain surgeon.
To practice in NZ as a brain surgeon that person will have to submit all qualifications, skills and work experience to the Medical Council of NZ in addition to Immigration NZ and maybe NZQA. They will have to become professionally registered. They will have to pass IELTS Academic at minimum 7.0 etc etc.

Immigration case officers DO NOT assess qualifications. Only NZQA does that if required.
I tried to say that the Immigration Case Officer will assess skills/work experience as part of their application checking process and as far as I know this is the only time skills/experience is assessed UNLESS you have an occupation that requires professional registration like in my example.

:eek: