British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   new zealand with a criminal record (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-zealand-criminal-record-679498/)

Andy pandy 67 Aug 3rd 2010 1:11 am

new zealand with a criminal record

Well as I said Some years ago I wasnt really a good boy and from 15 to 30 was well in to the wrong things, Iv had a couple of short sentances but not for drugs .The first was I had a really bad car accident and told the truth about speed and road and got 15 months for dangourous driving the second I bought 3 cars all turned out built out of stolen cars so I got 15 months for handling stolen goods that was my last offence in 1998, To date im squeeky clean with a clean licence with HGV1/2 , cpcs dumper,roller,telehandler and 360 excavotor. My wife is a ba hons degree holder in ICT and teaching at high school. Now as the rehabilitaion of offenders act is 10 years I should now be ok but I know some countrys still frown up on scum bags like me . So if I want to emmergrate and I like to go to new zealand if poss to start a better life how would I go about it or is it totally out of the question.. Thanks for taking the time to read this and Id love honest sensable replys please .
Andy :o

Jan n Neil Aug 3rd 2010 1:27 am

Re: new zealand with a criminal record

Unfortunately, despite the 10 rule in the UK, New Zealand requires all convictions to be declared, and has a special agreement with the UK Assocation of Chief Police Officers, www.acpo.police.uk to declare all lifetime convictions to the NZIS. They are particularly interested in so called "dishonesty" offences i.e. theft, and they are even more interested in custodial sentences.

Without doubt you would need to employ a sh*t hot lawyer to get you a waiver from this, and it is not automatic that you would be granted one. As the immigration fees are so expensive, which you do not get back, I strongly suggest you call Lane Neave in Christchurch, NZ, www.laneneave.co.nz/ (or similar) for an honest opinion about your chances of a waiver before you spend the money on your application.

Good luck

Jan

Toon_Nut Aug 3rd 2010 6:45 am

Yeh, I second what Jan said, good advice.

It's a lot of wedge/time/stress etc, much better to answer EVERYTHING on your EOI and maybe a cover letter explaining your convictions? That way your not hiding anything and if you don't get your ITA then at least you haven't been wasting your money by leading them down the garden path, it's gonna come up at some point, might as well do it straight away.

I had to put in a cover note to explain a caution I received for drunk and disorderly even though it stated on my police check that it was just a caution I still had to explain the situation.

Good luck

Jan n Neil Aug 3rd 2010 8:53 am

If you don't put it on your EOI, the police checks will turn it up and you will be rejected for immigration for being dishonest. :(