New Zealand or Australia?

Old May 25th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand or Australia?

Hi there,

I am a registered nurse living in the UK (born and bred in UK), and seriously considering coming out to New Zealand to work for at least a year. I am just wondering what others experience has been of coming out to New Zealand? Do you enjoy the lifestyle? I am also considering going to Australia but I feel the quieter more natural landscape of NZ appeals to me.
Old May 25th 2016, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or Australia?

Originally Posted by CatLady1234 View Post
Hi there,

I am a registered nurse living in the UK (born and bred in UK), and seriously considering coming out to New Zealand to work for at least a year. I am just wondering what others experience has been of coming out to New Zealand? Do you enjoy the lifestyle? I am also considering going to Australia but I feel the quieter more natural landscape of NZ appeals to me.
If you want quiet in Australia, and much the same climate as NZ, the Tasmania may be the place for you.

I will say that Australia is a very big place and so offers a lot of choice - bigger and busier cities than NZ but also plenty of quiet (or even desolate) places.

We like NZ (planning to migrate) but we also like what we have seen of Australia.

If you read some of the threads here, the NZ lifestyle can be very different between Auckland and say Coromandel Town.

What kind of lifestyle do you fancy?
Coffee bars and shopping, but not too crowded?
Rural and beaches?
Old May 26th 2016, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

I have been to Australia before and my sister lives there. I actually live on the isle of Wight here in the uk and love the quiet lifestyle here so feel i may be happier in nz is my current thinking. Obviously i don't want it so quiet i cant meet anyone to make friends! I would like to be fairly close to a busier area i guess but not too built up. What do you yourself like about nz?
Old May 26th 2016, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to Australia before and my sister lives there. I actually live on the isle of Wight here in the uk and love the quiet lifestyle here so feel i may be happier in nz is my current thinking. Obviously i don't want it so quiet i cant meet anyone to make friends! I would like to be fairly close to a busier area i guess but not too built up. What do you yourself like about nz?

New Zealand is like a hippie: Maybe a bit old fashioned, but so relaxed and far from mainstream, but somehow cool.

Australia is a bit more mainstream and everyone thinks they are hip and cool, but they'll never be as cool and relaxed as the hippie.
Old May 26th 2016, 8:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I assume you have already sorted out which visa you will be getting?
Old May 26th 2016, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

I like the sound of NZ how you describe it! I am considering the skilled migrant visa bur also the working holiday visa but unsure with this visa how easy it would be to find work. What is your experience?
Old May 27th 2016, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the sound of NZ how you describe it! I am considering the skilled migrant visa bur also the working holiday visa but unsure with this visa how easy it would be to find work. What is your experience?
so as per other post to work as a nurse registration is required
http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/Nurses/International-registration As far as working holidays go NZ is either 12 or 23 months but can only work for 12 months but you can apply for 12 then extend or go straight to 23 .Australia is more restrictive , initial 12 months then if you complete some agricultural work for 3 months you can extend for another 12 months BUT you can only work for same employer maximum 6 months.
Old May 27th 2016, 10:40 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: New Zealand or Australia?

Hi there,

A registered nurse should have no problem obtaining a visa or work for either country.

Australia is a very big place. Some parts are like New Zealand (eg Tasmania), some parts are tropical, some parts are phenomenally remote, some parts are in the centre of incredibly happening cities. There is quiet natural landscape in both countries.

BB
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I think NZs natural landscape is anything but quiet lol - all those faultlines.

That being said I am in love with this country. It has an irreverent charm and eccentricity that makes me smile. I have never worked in Australia so can't give you a comparison but NZ and Australia are very very different countries. If you can then come for a visit - if you come to Christchurch I'll happily show you around.