Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

The new RRV and Residents visa - discussions and posts.

The new RRV and Residents visa - discussions and posts.

Old May 3rd 2011, 11:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: The new RRV and Residents visa - discussions and posts.

Ah !

If you are NZ Residents with travel conditions , you will have all the benefits of being an NZ resident. You don't have to wait the 2 years for the travel conditions to be lifted.

The new wording is annoying. The old wording was much more clear.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:55 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The new RRV and Residents visa - discussions and posts.

Originally Posted by ctb1803
hi we have been in nz for 3 yrs in june and have a rrv with jan nxt yr as dateThis is from when we got residency granted..we are looking at returning back to the uk to live but my eldest daughter who is at uni here is staying.So do i need to wait till jan then she can stay inndefinatly.As i was the main applicant on the visa. Thanks..we would like to leave before jan next yr but will stay if we need to .Thankyou
So you gained residency in Jan 2010 I assume.
Your daughter will apply for her PRV on the back of your application for one [assuming she was in your original residency application as a dependent child]. From what I can see it is your eligibility that determines what visa she will receive and not her own circumstances so you will have to be eligible for a PRV for her to get one. You cannot apply early for a PRV [as you must have been a resident for the preceding 24m or more and not just working in NZ] so you will have to wait until Jan to apply and fulfill the conditions. Not sure about applying from the UK, I would assume that if you fulfill the conditions then you would still get a PRV but read below;not sure if I'm reading more into it than is actually meant. If you moved to the UK before your 2y was up and wanted to apply for a PRV then you would have to let your resident visa expire though it seems your daughter's visa wouldn't unless she left NZ. I would check what I've written above with someone who knows for certain- could you ask NZIS? You don't have to say you're moving to the UK for good.
A resident visa expires if:i the holder leaves New Zealand and the visa has no valid travel conditions; or
ii the travel conditions expire while the visa holder is outside New Zealand.

RV2.5 How do resident visa holders or former holders qualify for a
permanent resident visa?
Upon application principal applicants will be granted a permanent resident visa if:
a. they either:
i hold a resident visa, and have held that resident visa continuously for at least 24
months at the time of application; or
ii have held a resident visa in the three months before the application is made, and had
held that resident visa continuously for at least 24 months before it expired and
b. their first day in New Zealand as a resident (R5.66.1(b)) was at least 24 months before
the application is made; and
c. they can demonstrate a commitment to New Zealand by meeting the requirements set out
in any one of the five subsections below (RV2.5.1 to RV2.5.20); and
d. they have met any conditions imposed under section 49(1),of the Immigration Act 2009;
Originally Posted by BEVS
Ah !

If you are NZ Residents with travel conditions , you will have all the benefits of being an NZ resident. You don't have to wait the 2 years for the travel conditions to be lifted.

The new wording is annoying. The old wording was much more clear.
I agree 'NZ residents with travel conditions' is so much more of a mouthful than 2y RRV
Only thing I can think of is that you can't vote unless you've been resident for a year but that means you can vote for a year without a PRV...