British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   The new RRV and Residents visa - discussions and posts. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-rrv-residents-visa-discussions-posts-715455/)

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 17th 2011 1:22 am

The new RRV and Residents visa - discussions and posts.

Thank goodness we've got citizenship. It's all too much for my two brain cells ;)

Persephone Feb 18th 2011 12:51 am

Re: The new RRVs and Residence Visas

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9181749)
Thank goodness we've got citizenship. It's all too much for my two brain cells ;)

Oooh I hadn't realised you'd got citizenship, congratulations:thumbup: I thought you were still mid application.

Persephone Feb 18th 2011 12:53 am

Forgot to add links for those who want more info:D

Residence information

New terminology

MnB Feb 18th 2011 10:30 am

Thanks for this Sue.....I may be reading it wrong but it looks as though I would get PRV straight off :unsure::confused::eek:....might give NZIS a ring...on the 'phoning from abroad number though :sneaky:

Persephone Feb 21st 2011 7:59 am

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 9185159)
Thanks for this Sue.....I may be reading it wrong but it looks as though I would get PRV straight off :unsure::confused::eek:....might give NZIS a ring...on the 'phoning from abroad number though :sneaky:

It looks like you would have:sneaky:

Most people who are eligible are initially granted a resident visa then progress to a permanent resident visa by making another application after they meet the commitment to New Zealand criteria. However, new policy settings enable a small number of residence applicants to progress directly to a permanent resident visa. These are:

•foreign national partners of New Zealand citizens (and the partner’s dependent children) where:
◦the New Zealand citizen has been living overseas for at least five years, or has been in New Zealand for three months or less after living overseas for at least five years, and
◦the partnership has been ongoing for at least five years.
•people who were granted a temporary work visa under the Talent (Accredited Employers) Work category who have a job with a salary of at least NZ$90,000 gross per annum at the time they apply for residence under the corresponding Residence from Work category, and
•refugees and protected people.

GavinP Feb 23rd 2011 2:08 pm

Hi folks,
Not posted for a while but me and the (Kiwi) Mrs have decided that it's time I applied for NZ residency.
She is a NZ citizen and she has been living with me (married) in the UK for over 5 years now so it seems that I qualify for the Permanent Resident Visa. I've looked at both the res and permres application forms but don't know where to start. Can I ask you better informed folks how I kick start this process please? Do I go straight for the PRV form and submit that? Is the cost the same as for the RV form? (£665?)

Many thanks,
Gav.

GavinP Feb 24th 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by GavinP (Post 9196398)
Hi folks,
Not posted for a while but me and the (Kiwi) Mrs have decided that it's time I applied for NZ residency.
She is a NZ citizen and she has been living with me (married) in the UK for over 5 years now so it seems that I qualify for the Permanent Resident Visa. I've looked at both the res and permres application forms but don't know where to start. Can I ask you better informed folks how I kick start this process please? Do I go straight for the PRV form and submit that? Is the cost the same as for the RV form? (£665?)

Many thanks,
Gav.

I've started a new thread asking this question. Hopefully I'll get a better response then. :p

MnB Feb 27th 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by GavinP (Post 9198695)
I've started a new thread asking this question. Hopefully I'll get a better response then. :p

Hi sorry missed your question but due to the changes I can't give you an up to date answer:unsure:....can only tell you what I did last year ;)
I'm married to a kiwi / brit...OH was born in NZ but has lived in UK since he was 2, he has a NZ passport so was able to sponsor me when I applied for a visa...I was issued with a RRV, the application process was very straight forward and quick (see my time line below) not sure which form you would complete now or even if it's the same form??? Try phoning NZ House for advice, will pm you the number I used.
Start gathering together your evidence of your relationship, send in a keep a copy of an inventory of this..... you might find this link useful if you haven't already seen it (again not sure if it's up to date??)
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...me/partnersnz/
Good luck!
B

ajelliott Apr 21st 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9181723)
There has been some confusion about the new residence visas in a recent thread so I'll try and explain the new terminology and visas which were brought into effect at the end of November 2010:) RRVs are no longer issued.

Previously:
You would be issued with a residence visa and a 2year RRV on gaining residence. On entering NZ a residence permit would be stamped into your passport which stated that the holder could remain indefinitely. The RRV would run out in two years and you could then apply for an indefinite RRV if you fulfilled the conditions or be issued with a 1 or 2 year RRV if not.

Now:
On gaining residency you are issued with a 'Resident Visa with travel conditions' This allows you to enter NZ as a resident for the 1st time, to return to NZ as a resident if you go overseas and also acts as a residence permit. This visa lasts for 2 years. In effect there is little change from what happens now but the terminology is different.

Once this visa runs out you apply for a 'Permanent Resident Visa' [PRV]which allows you to leave and return to NZ and has an indefinite expiry date. So it is similar to an indefinite RRV. If you do not fulfill the conditions for a PRV then you will be issued a further Resident Visa with travel conditions of 1 or 2 years. The conditions needed to gain a PRV are similar to those needed for an IRRV.

So in reality things haven't really changed that much.

Certain partnership applications for PR will be granted a PRV right from the start.

Residence permits no longer exist so on arriving in NZ you will no longer get one stamped into your passport, instead you get a stamp saying 'NZ Entry' and the date.

Anyone already holding an unexpired RRV or visa is deemed to hold the new equivalent. There is no need to change anything until that visa expires or you need a new passport.

Hope this helps:)

So what are the conditions for permanent residency visa after the two years, don't want to be chucked out especially as we have kids at critical time in their education - thanks in anticipation.:confused:

Persephone Apr 22nd 2011 12:12 am

Originally Posted by ajelliott (Post 9319418)
So what are the conditions for permanent residency visa after the two years, don't want to be chucked out especially as we have kids at critical time in their education - thanks in anticipation.:confused:

Don't worry, it is not that hard to satisfy the conditions! They are not likely to chuck you out.
You have to satisfy one of the 5 conditions. Have a look at the link below:
Requirements for a permanent resident visa
The easiest one is to just have been present in NZ for 184 or more in each of the preceding 2 years.

1. You have spent enough time in New ZealandYou have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application. You do not have to provide any extra evidence, other than your passport(s).

You cannot apply early, you have to wait until your RRV has expired. If you need to apply early eg travelling overseas then you will probably be issued with a 1yr resident visa with travel conditions [similar to a 1yr RRV].

Just noticed your other post and you're not here yet-so wherever I've written RRV above change that to Resident visa with travel conditions. Unless you gained residency before Nov 2010 then you won't get a RRV. I assumed you were here and your RRV was nearing its expiry date-lesson learnt-never assume!

ajelliott Apr 23rd 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks for this, the process is exciting but scary. Any info you have on best places to live/school in NZ would be great.

ctb1803 Apr 25th 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9181723)
There has been some confusion about the new residence visas in a recent thread so I'll try and explain the new terminology and visas which were brought into effect at the end of November 2010:) RRVs are no longer issued.

Previously:
You would be issued with a residence visa and a 2year RRV on gaining residence. On entering NZ a residence permit would be stamped into your passport which stated that the holder could remain indefinitely. The RRV would run out in two years and you could then apply for an indefinite RRV if you fulfilled the conditions or be issued with a 1 or 2 year RRV if not.

Now:
On gaining residency you are issued with a 'Resident Visa with travel conditions' This allows you to enter NZ as a resident for the 1st time, to return to NZ as a resident if you go overseas and also acts as a residence permit. This visa lasts for 2 years. In effect there is little change from what happens now but the terminology is different.

Once this visa runs out you apply for a 'Permanent Resident Visa' [PRV]which allows you to leave and return to NZ and has an indefinite expiry date. So it is similar to an indefinite RRV. If you do not fulfill the conditions for a PRV then you will be issued a further Resident Visa with travel conditions of 1 or 2 years. The conditions needed to gain a PRV are similar to those needed for an IRRV.

So in reality things haven't really changed that much.

Certain partnership applications for PR will be granted a PRV right from the start.

Residence permits no longer exist so on arriving in NZ you will no longer get one stamped into your passport, instead you get a stamp saying 'NZ Entry' and the date.

Anyone already holding an unexpired RRV or visa is deemed to hold the new equivalent. There is no need to change anything until that visa expires or you need a new passport.

Hope this helps:)

hi we have been in nz for 3 yrs in june and have a rrv with jan nxt yr as dateThis is from when we got residency granted..we are looking at returning back to the uk to live but my eldest daughter who is at uni here is staying.So do i need to wait till jan then she can stay inndefinatly.As i was the main applicant on the visa. Thanks..we would like to leave before jan next yr but will stay if we need to .Thankyou

Ninja757 May 3rd 2011 8:42 am

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have received our `Residence Visas with travel conditions` in our passports.

Do we still get free medical care plus the other benefits (kiwisave etc) ? or do we have to wait for Permanent Residence Visas?

Confused????:confused:

BEVS May 3rd 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Ninja757 (Post 9339998)
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I have received our `Residence Visas with travel conditions` in our passports.

Do we still get free medical care plus the other benefits (kiwisave etc) ? or do we have to wait for Permanent Residence Visas?

Confused????

You are not the only one. :blink: Kiwisaver is not free. You pay into it. Medical care is not altogether free. You pay for some stuff and you do not pay for other stuff. But surely you know this .

If you are Residents then you can do as other residents.

Ninja757 May 3rd 2011 10:28 am

Re: The new RRV and Residents visa - discussions and posts.

I don`t think I got my point across properly in my previous post...sorry!

I am 100% happy with Kiwisave and the med system :) It`s just the difference between `Residence` and `Permanent Residence`.

Am I right in saying that the only difference is that `Permanent Residency` is without travel conditions? Therefore, we can still vote, pay contributions to Kiwisave and enjoy the same medical benefits as other Permanent residents & Citizens?