British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New to this process, advice required please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-process-advice-required-please-801923/)

Olza23 Jul 4th 2013 3:31 pm

New to this process, advice required please!

Hi all,

I'm sure that you get these all the time but if anyone could be so kind I'm curious to know about the whole immigration to NZ process. I been researching for a while now and have a brief understanding but to be honest the information is overwhelming and I'm just trying to piece together the steps!

For what its worth, I've spoken to a immigration agent and I managed to pick his brains a bit but there was things he was reluctant to tell me without charging a fee. But the question I asking today is would I be likely to get a permenant Visa for me any my family?

A bit of background about me I am 22 years old, engaged with a daughter. I started my 4 year apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce in Marine Electrical Engineering and finished this in August 2012. I have an NVQ Level 3, Advanced Apprenticeship, Btec National Certificate in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (ONC) and a HNC. I am currently employed by the National Grid and work I am currently a Substations Craftperson in the London area.

I have had a look at the stickies and there are a few trades that I feel I could be matched to, including:

342211 Electrical Line Mechanic

341111 Electrician (General)

341112 Electrician (Special Class)

I'm just curious in where I have to start! Can anybody help me?

I thank you all for reading this far and sorry if this is placed in the wrong place!

Any help would be invaluable and massively helpful to me!

Thanks guys.:)

MrsFychan Jul 4th 2013 7:55 pm

Re: New to this process, advice required please!

firstly welcome to our little corner of BE

You say you have done research and from the information you provide it seems you have found the Immigration site.
what you need to do is fill in an EOI and see if you qualify for a visa that route.

Come back and let us know the score you get on the EOI and we will be better able to advise.

For your partner and daughter to be able to come over on the back of your visa you need to show at least 12mths worth of stable relationship documentation, like joint bills, joint invites, mortgage/rental payments with both names, council tax with both names, you get the idea.

Olza23 Jul 4th 2013 8:22 pm

Hiya, I have had a little bit of difficulty with the EOI form. I mean, I know my skills are in the "long term shortage list" but cant see them on the list on the website, on on the stickies in this forum.

I also dont seem to be making the current amount of points required. Is this right? I mean I have good skills. I don't have a job offer but can I apply for roles in NZ without starting the Visa Application process?

MrsFychan Jul 4th 2013 8:30 pm

you can apply for roles but if you cannot met the criteria to obtain a visa you will not be able to come and work even with a job offer.

You need to check the lists on the site for your job description and you need to show that you fit that description exactly as outlined. or you need to look at alternative route to the EOI.

School run in a mo but I shall have a look through later but in the meantime someone may come along who is more used to searching the immigration website to aid you

Catchafire Jul 4th 2013 10:41 pm

Saw this reply from a similar thread

Originally Posted by princey (Post 10735884)
Hi

I am an Electrician, I moved to Christchurch 3 years ago and I have jumped through all the hoops required to gain Electricians registration here from the EWRB. ( Electrical workers Registration Board) in NZ.

Your Husband will need to write to the EWRB and submit his UK Electrical qualifications and then they will notify him on what exams to re-sit in order to gain his NZ registration.
Saying that there are lots of British electricians here in Christchurch that are working and are not registered, it has lapsed due to the rebuild after the quakes.

Christchurch can also be about contacts, who you know etc.. most jobs are via employment agencies too.

http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/

escapedtonz Jul 6th 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Olza23 (Post 10784578)
Hi all,

I'm sure that you get these all the time but if anyone could be so kind I'm curious to know about the whole immigration to NZ process. I been researching for a while now and have a brief understanding but to be honest the information is overwhelming and I'm just trying to piece together the steps!

For what its worth, I've spoken to a immigration agent and I managed to pick his brains a bit but there was things he was reluctant to tell me without charging a fee. But the question I asking today is would I be likely to get a permenant Visa for me any my family?

A bit of background about me I am 22 years old, engaged with a daughter. I started my 4 year apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce in Marine Electrical Engineering and finished this in August 2012. I have an NVQ Level 3, Advanced Apprenticeship, Btec National Certificate in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (ONC) and a HNC. I am currently employed by the National Grid and work I am currently a Substations Craftperson in the London area.

I have had a look at the stickies and there are a few trades that I feel I could be matched to, including:

342211 Electrical Line Mechanic

341111 Electrician (General)

341112 Electrician (Special Class)

I'm just curious in where I have to start! Can anybody help me?

I thank you all for reading this far and sorry if this is placed in the wrong place!

Any help would be invaluable and massively helpful to me!

Thanks guys.:)

Hi,

To work in the field of electrical engineering there is a high chance you need to be electrically registered.
To find out you will need to contact the EWRB.
Submit what they ask for, pay the fee and they will let you know what you have to do once in NZ to get the relevant registration.
Some employers don't ask for it, but lots do.
Sometimes it is overlooked - especially in Christchurch as there is just so much work and such a shortage of skilled workers.

If you work for National Grid in the UK, why not get in touch with the National Grid here ?
Transpower are the Grid Owner and System Operator - two different entities under the same umbrella.
Transfield Services are the contracting arm of Transpower as the Grid Owner and employ all the physical workers on the grid like engineers, fitters, tecnicians linesmen etc.
There's a good chance of getting a job with these without a visa.
I work for Transpower as the System Operator (Power System Coordinator) and colleagues I work with secured work then went for the visas, so it definitely happens that way. One of my colleagues also used to be an electrical fitter with Transfield Services and always says he loved the job etc.
Unfortunately a work related accident halted his chosen career path so he transferred to Transpower as the System Operator for a new career direction.

Olza23 Jul 7th 2013 7:07 pm

Hi all just wanted to give an update.

As previously stated I have had a chat with an immigration advisor and he has posted us a "comprehensive New Zealand Visa Eligibility Evaluation" - Now the bit I want to share with you is as follows:

(Quote):

With Experience Oliver may be in a position to lodge an EOI, subject to obtaining an offer of skilled employment, as he posses qualifications and work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage - Electrician. The following information is pertinent:

- Immigration New Zealand has set the points score required to qualify for residency under the skilled migrant category (SMC) at 100 Points
- Oliver is able to claim a point score of 105 without an offer of skilled employment and 165-175 with an offer of skilled employment

(quote)

I just want to give a breakdown of how I have got these points and if you kind people can see any discrepancies please let me know! :)

(Without offer of employment)
    Total = 105. The offer with employment he claims is 165-175 with 60/70 more points given with an offer of employment.

* Subject to obtaining a favourable electrical qualifications assessment from the Electrical Workers Registration Board (EWRB).

Now I am excited about the whole process and it will be a dream of ours but wanted to check that everything looked okay?

Escapetonz: Hi thanks for that it sounds like a brilliant way to get across, I have had a look on the Transpower website and seems like the first port of call for me really, but there are no vacancies for fitter roles? If you could send me a private message be much appreciated!

Once again guys thanks for all your info it is much much appreciated, but just one more question please :)

1 - What should my next steps be?
    2 - The immigration agent that I spoke to asked if we had access to savings for the cost of moving to NZ and the visa costs. He said that all the costs will amass to around £16-17,000 for all fees, his fees in this were £2500. Is the remaining £13.5-14.5k accurate? How has he calculated these roughly?

Thanks so much all, I eagerly await any comments! I feel like the road is a bit clearer now!

MrsFychan Jul 7th 2013 7:38 pm

DO NOT PAY for an Immigration Advisor. You can do it yourself.

If the points calculations are correct then you can submit your EOI but it is very doubtful that you would be selected within the 6mth time frame without the increase in numbers of a job offer to take you over the 140 for automatic selection.

have you looked at other visa options. I met a couple at the weekend who are over on WHV's and the gentleman is an electrician and he has managed to gain employment since arriving a month ago.

Olza23 Jul 7th 2013 8:06 pm

Hi MrsFychan

I havent looked at Working Holiday Visas - What are the basic limitations and can I take my family?

Also how would i go about getting a job? I mean, can I apply for roles in NZ, obtain a WHV then a permanent visa? Would employers be put of by this as obviously a WHV is not permanent?

Also is the Immigration Advisor accurate with the moving costs?

Thanks a lot.

MrsFychan Jul 7th 2013 8:35 pm

ahh no WHV does not allow children from what I know.

My husband submitted his EOI with points total of 125. he then got a job offer and upped his points which took him over the 140. He got a Temp work visa to allow him to work whilst the PR Visa was being processed. He started work in Sept and we did not get the PR visa's until the following February.

As for cost that does all depend how many are on the application, what you intend to move over with you and obviously if like us you got two visa's for yourself that would need to be added.

Think as an electrician you might have to pay to get your qualifications approved. http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/
    have no idea of costs for that.

sure some electricians will be along to advise better but there are number of threads detailing the ins and outs of all that

Olza23 Jul 8th 2013 6:17 am

Hi MrsFychan

I'm sure that the costs vary from people to people but was the immigration agent accurate at all?

MrsFychan Jul 8th 2013 6:54 am

as other have said you would need to get your qualifications looked at by the EWRB and that costs.

What does it mean when he write "with experience Oliver"

There is a work to residency visa that might also be worth looking at but again you would need a job offer.

look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=electrician

Olza23 Jul 8th 2013 1:23 pm

Hi

To be honest in my situation I don't really want to go out there without a job offer and without a strong chance of getting a permenant visa, I have to think about the children!

I have had a look at the EWRB and I think that I have found the correct form, its titled:

(Overseas Applicants) Registration/Registration certificate/Practising License application.

The cost for this registration fee is $597 I think! This is a combination of $190 2 year practising license and $407 for the certificat and registration. This is fine, I have records of all my certificates and can get references easy.

More questions though! There is a checklist on the form which asks for:

1 - Have I paid the fees (no problem there)

2 - Attatched any required certified copes of certificates (or completed EWRB Exams) - Do I need to pay for these exams? I have copies of all my Apprenticeship certificates, college documents, the works. Also do I need to have these signed by anybody to prove their validity? By whom?

3 - Attatched employer work experience reference(s) - I have seen on some threads on this site about templates that people may have - are they sasved anywhere?

4 - Completed all safety training. Such a vague statement!! Is this training over in the UK or in NZ? I have certificates to say I have attended first aid training etc etc is this what they mean?

Almost done.. haha - am I doing things in the right order? Of what I know of the immigration process this is what I intend to do:

1 - Have my skills assessed
    2 - Apply for roles out hopefully find employment
    3 - With my offer of employment submit my EOI
    4 - Move out there and live happily ever after???!

Is anything out of sync there?

If anyone can give me any info in regards to how much I will need to take when we move out there that will be great, I have mentioned earlier in the thread that the migrastion agent quoted that we would need £15000 to get there?

That may be true but how has he reached that figure?

Thanks everbody so much so far I'm getting excited!!!

Persephone Jul 8th 2013 6:44 pm

Hello!

Well your points estimate looks about right at 105 but you will need registration in order to claim any bonus points for a qualification or work experience in an area of absolute shortage. This means you need registration first as that is the requirement for gaining these points.

You will also need a job offer to guarantee that your EOI is selected.

I cant help with your specific questions about EWRB reg, sorry. Maybe start a new thread in the main forum where more people will see it?

Your list of steps to get a visa look good. Registration, job, visa app, move! It seems like you have a good grasp of things!

I am another one who will tell you to save the cash you'd spend on an agent and do it yourself. It's not that difficult and we'll help out as necessary:)

As to costs on moving here-how long is a piece of string? I can't comment on my own circumstances as they were very different to yours. Start by looking at flight costs [for 3?], if you're moving all your household contents then you could be looking at 3-4,000 pounds for a container, the cost of buying new cars and renting/buying a house in NZ, also the visa and medical costs can be substantial on top of the cost of the advisor. Medicals cost approx 300-350 pounds per person. That's all I can think of at the moment...there will be more costs:sneaky:

Olza23 Jul 8th 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Persephone - Thanks so much for that, very helpful. Yes I'm happy with the costs.

If I'm right the permanent residency visa is around the $2000 dollar mark?