British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New NZ citzenship wanting to move to OZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-nz-citzenship-wanting-move-oz-718064/)

presayus123 May 23rd 2011 4:21 am

New NZ citzenship wanting to move to OZ

Hi there

Does anyone know how long after a NZ citzenship has been approved can someone move to Australia? Is there a stand period? Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks :thumbsup: :D

pricklykina May 23rd 2011 9:04 am

Re: New NZ citzenship wanting to move to OZ

Morally or actually.
Citizenship is meant to demonstrate a commitment to being in New Zealand. Planning to move overseas while applying for citizenships is fraudulent.

but...sigh...it would be worth getting a kiwi passport if that's your intention

hazeandsteve May 23rd 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 9381946)
Morally or actually.
Planning to move overseas while applying for citizenships is fraudulent.

....or could be seen as acting like a kiwi, with the rights that come with citizenship.
Not for us, but it's allowed isn't it? Just don't mention it during the ceremony!

presayus123 May 23rd 2011 9:35 am

Sooooooo is there a stand down period is my only question? Say 'Hypothetically' speaking if someone was granted NZ citizenship, then how long thereafter can they go and live in Oz?...And the person in question has done more than there fair share of showing 'commitment' to Aotearoa, after living in NZ for more than 19 years as a Permanent resident and representing NZ in sport, they know the importance of being a NZ citizen, don't you worry about that pricklykina...

bcworld May 23rd 2011 9:37 am

Originally Posted by presayus123 (Post 9381990)
Sooooooo is there a stand down period is my only question? Say 'Hypothetically' speaking if someone was granted NZ citizenship, then how long thereafter can they go and live in Oz?...And the person in question has done more than there fair share of showing 'commitment' to Aotearoa, after living in NZ for more than 19 years as a Permanent resident and representing NZ in sport, they know the importance of being a NZ citizen, don't you worry about that pricklykina...

A citizen is a citizen...regardless of how long you've been one.

pricklykina May 23rd 2011 10:51 am

check out here for all the info they need Citizenship - general requirements
What I meant about commitment is that one isn't meant to apply unless one is planning to stay in NZ. But a lot of people just say they plan to I guess.

presayus123 May 23rd 2011 11:13 am

Thanks pricklykina, i understood what you meant...and i have already read your link awhile back but cheers anywho. But what i really want to know...is there a time period in which a person with a newly granted NZ citizenship must reside in NZ for before they may leave to live in Australia? Say can someone who gets NZ citizenship and a NZ passport leave for Australia the same or very next day? Or do they have to wait 6 months, 12 months, 2 years etc. etc.? With good intention or not to continue to reside in NZ, things happen and things change...Is there anyone here with personal experience or knowledge?

bcworld May 23rd 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by presayus123 (Post 9382115)
Thanks pricklykina, i understood what you meant...and i have already read your link awhile back but cheers anywho. But what i really want to know...is there a time period in which a person with a newly granted NZ citizenship must reside in NZ for before they may leave to live in Australia? Say can someone who gets NZ citizenship and a NZ passport leave for Australia the same or very next day? Or do they have to wait 6 months, 12 months, 2 years etc. etc.? With good intention or not to continue to reside in NZ, things happen and things change...Is there anyone here with personal experience or knowledge?

Your question has already been answered, here and on the Aus forum. :confused:

pricklykina May 23rd 2011 11:25 am

you can go as soon as you have it, but you would want a passport first - they don't come automatically so you'll need to get the citizenship and then apply for the passport, wait for that to come back and then go. Once you're a citizen, you're a citizen - they can't put restrictions on you then AFAIK

presayus123 May 23rd 2011 11:39 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9382126)
Your question has already been answered, here and on the Aus forum. :confused:

Where? I didn't see any straight answer on here? So is the answer No? That there is no time limit before a New NZ citizen can go to Australia to live?

pricklykina May 23rd 2011 11:58 am

If you want a conclusive and definitive answer then you'll need to contact the dept of internal affairs

presayus123 May 23rd 2011 12:07 pm

I just wanted a straight forward answer from someone with personal knowledge or experience, someone who has actually been in the situation. Obviously i have come to the wrong site as it seems thus far no one knows. Never mind thanks for all your input anywho, i'll try somewhere else. Cheers.

Pollyana May 23rd 2011 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by presayus123 (Post 9382183)
I just wanted a straight forward answer from someone with personal knowledge or experience, someone who has actually been in the situation. Obviously i have come to the wrong site as it seems thus far no one knows. Never mind thanks for all your input anywho, i'll try somewhere else. Cheers.

As far as I can see your question has been answered several times, once you are a citizen, you are a citizen, get the passport and you can come and go as you like.