British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New and need EOI help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-need-eoi-help-please-307787/)

Sparkle2nite Jun 9th 2005 9:31 pm

New and need EOI help please

Hello everyone, this is my first posting, though I have been doing a lot of reading here! We are in the very first steps after making what hopefully will be the biggest and best decision of our lives. I cannot see the link on the NZIS to view the guide to completing the EOI. Please could somebody point me in the right direction.....yes, good start I know :o
Hoping to join your family, many thanks, Sparkle2nite

Pinkie Pie Jun 9th 2005 9:39 pm

Re: New and need EOI help please

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Hello everyone, this is my first posting, though I have been doing a lot of reading here! We are in the very first steps after making what hopefully will be the biggest and best decision of our lives. I cannot see the link on the NZIS to view the guide to completing the EOI. Please could somebody point me in the right direction.....yes, good start I know :o
Hoping to join your family, many thanks, Sparkle2nite

Hi Sparke2nite (lovely username) and welcome to the madhouse....here is the link that you need...

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ionofinterest/

You will find the guide to completing the EOI over on the right hand side of the page under the heading "Forms and Guides"...hope you find it ok...just click on it and it opens up a PDF document in a new page for you.....

Any questions just shout...we're all in or just getting off the same boat!! :)

Caroline

Lisa T Jun 10th 2005 6:46 am

We've just submitted our EOI and were selected the following morning! We were so excited.....

We filled it in on line and it was fairly straightforward. The only thing to remember is that it took ages to load everything - we were messing around for a few hours and some things were a bit strange.

For example it gave us no points for our qualifications even though they are on the NZQA list of recognised qualifications, but because we could not find a reference number just a level it was not picked up. Also it asked if we had a job offer and my husband has. However it went on to say that you should not fill in a section unless you are in NZ! It was a bit strange but they accepted everything anyway.

Good luck - it's great being able to read views on here - it keeps me sane and makes me laugh!

Sparkle2nite Jun 11th 2005 6:27 pm

Hello and thank you both for your help. Think I got so lost on the site as I kept finding links I wanted to read and went off on a tangent!!! I now have the pdf file stored to my desktop so it will never be lost again!

Pinkie Pie, I have a lovely gif to go with my username (my significant other spent a week on it for me....bless), but it won't upload 'cos it's too big....so guess will have to smile sweetly at him again!

I've been reading about the cold houses and it's making me feel cold! We are looking to go as high north as possible, taking into account work etc. My hubby is in IT, but as we are still on the bottom rung of the ladder have lots of research ahead of us. We want the move so much and we have two sets of friends in NZ, but in opposite parts of the country. I think finding where you want to be is difficult as work and schools have to decide it at the end of the day. We have two children 13 and 8, where did everyone else start? :confused:

I've also been looking at all your photo's and will add mine one day soon, when I've got to know you all a bit better!

Pinkie Pie Jun 11th 2005 7:49 pm

Pinkie Pie, I have a lovely gif to go with my username (my significant other spent a week on it for me....bless), but it won't upload 'cos it's too big....so guess will have to smile sweetly at him again!

If you get him to open it with Paint and use the image stretch/skew thingy and reduce it it should upload...sorry I'm a complete technophobe so can't really explain it very well but I use that to reduce mine and it seems to work ok!!! Or email it to me and I'll do it for you!!!

Caroline

Pinkie Pie Jun 11th 2005 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lisa T
We've just submitted our EOI and were selected the following morning! We were so excited.....

We filled it in on line and it was fairly straightforward. The only thing to remember is that it took ages to load everything - we were messing around for a few hours and some things were a bit strange.

For example it gave us no points for our qualifications even though they are on the NZQA list of recognised qualifications, but because we could not find a reference number just a level it was not picked up. Also it asked if we had a job offer and my husband has. However it went on to say that you should not fill in a section unless you are in NZ! It was a bit strange but they accepted everything anyway.

Good luck - it's great being able to read views on here - it keeps me sane and makes me laugh!

Congratulations Lisa...when were you selected??.... :beer:

80s Chick Jun 11th 2005 8:11 pm

Welcome to the family Sparkle2nite. We're a pretty friendly bunch, have the occasional affray like any other family, but it's generally :) all round. As you can see from our timeline below we (that's me, Segamad and 2 kids 11 and 7) have a while to go yet and haven't submitted EOI yet but we'll do so shortly. From reading other accounts on here it's a stressful business but I think you'll find it's worth it. Good luck

Phyllis

Lisa T Jun 12th 2005 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Congratulations Lisa...when were you selected??.... :beer:

Morning everyone!

We were selected Wednesday 8th June. Looks like my OH will have to go out on a work visa/permit and we'll follow on, but if they work really fast like this we may get the PR earlier. Medicals etc are booked for this week! :D :D :D

Sparkle2nite Jun 12th 2005 1:31 pm

Hello Everyone and thank you for your help. Hopefully my gif has worked, thanks Pinkie Pie for your advice, however it actually 'shimmers' which is lovely, but won't on here as it's too big so OH had to make it static which is a shame, never mind!

I've been looking at everyone's piccies like I said earlier, and you all have lovely children. Love the one with the Tardis, my daughter loves the Daleks, much to OH's disgust.....remembers them from old you see!!!!!

Sorry if I ask questions that have already been answered, but where are you all hoping to live in NZ, that is where we are at the mo' deciding. Also, have you all been out there to visit? We haven't (are we mad), but have seen so much video footage and heard lots of things from friends out there, tho' we are planning a trip over early next year to see for ourselves. We know people from one end of the country to the other and all love it.

Sparkle2nite Jun 12th 2005 1:40 pm

Hello Everyone and thank you for your help. Hopefully my gif has worked, thanks Pinkie Pie for your advice, however it actually 'shimmers' which is lovely, but won't on here as it's too big so OH had to make it static which is a shame, never mind!

I've been looking at everyone's piccies like I said earlier, and you all have lovely children. Love the one with the Tardis, my daughter loves the Daleks, much to OH's disgust.....remembers them from old you see!!!!!

Sorry if I ask questions that have already been answered, but where are you all hoping to live in NZ, that is where we are at the mo' deciding. Also, have you all been out there to visit? We haven't (are we mad), but have seen so much video footage and heard lots of things from friends out there, tho' we are planning a trip over early next year to see for ourselves. We know people from one end of the country to the other and all love it.

Whoops, never worked, I have the gif displayed in my profile so did that bit right.....what went wrong?

Pinkie Pie Jun 12th 2005 1:45 pm

Whoops, never worked, I have the gif displayed in my profile so did that bit right.....what went wrong?

Have you clicked on "edit avatar" and put it on there??? :D That's what makes it appear under your username....under custom avatar, click on browse to find the image on your pc then upload and hey presto!!! The image can't be any bigger than 65 x 65 and the one in your profile (which is lovely btw) looks slightly bigger than that so you may need to reduce it a bit more... :)

Lisa T Jun 12th 2005 2:15 pm

We're planning on staying around Auckland. I know everyone else seems to be living anywhere other than Auckland, but we have visited a couple of times and I feel that for us "townies" Auckland has everything we as a family need - great facilities, sports, schooling, shops, housing, entertainment etc etc. Don't know if you have children but we have two (8 and 6) and they do all the usual stuff, footie, dancing, swimming, sports, Brownies etc and they willl need all this to settle well.

I know that means we'll pay more for a house but I think it may be somethingwee'll just have to live with!

Give me a shout if there's anything I can help with - we spent Easter out there and I checked out just about everything! (I also have a brother out there so he can supply more advice if needed!).

Good luck with your decision - I think it's really brave of you if you decide to go without visiting. I don't think I could have done it that way!

Lisa......

Sparkle2nite Jun 12th 2005 3:43 pm

Whoopee Do......it worked! Doh, didn't know what an avatar was, thought the piccie went under my profile.....hey you learn something new everyday.....so, what is a signature? Love your sliding scale of a countdown Phyllis!

I think we do need to visit first, too big a decision not to and lots of research ahead of us.

80s Chick Jun 12th 2005 4:17 pm

Love your sliding scale of a countdown Phyllis!

I think we do need to visit first, too big a decision not to and lots of research ahead of us.

Thanks. I saw it used on another forum and thought it make me feel better about the amount of time it will take for us to get over there (we have no property but a fair amount of debt to clear).

I'm not sure how many people on this forum still in the UK have visited but I wouldn't worry too much about visiting. We originally joined this forum to get an all round view of NZ from expats currently there and those who had returned. We wanted a 'warts and all' account of lifestyle. I don't think you can do worse than read this forum and look at NZ specific websites (check the Really Useful Thread at the top). As a newbie you might want to scroll through the threads and read the 'NZ-Scary story or what?' thread (that's the first one we read when we came on and it hasn't scared us off. Bonne Chance :beer: