British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New Life New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-life-new-zealand-548138/)

bayst Jul 10th 2008 2:07 pm

New Life New Zealand

I was just wondering if anyone had or is using New Life New Zealand to help them through the immigration minefield, they aren't cheap! but do they support you and get you the required results? its just that i'm about to start using them but another UK based agent says he can do it for less than a third of NLNZ price, so is it, you get what you pay for or am i being 'gently shafted' (lol) from 12,000 miles away..............HELP !
If anyone has any thoughts positive or negative id be interested to know.
Thanks

newkiwi Jul 10th 2008 2:24 pm

Re: New Life New Zealand

Originally Posted by bayst (Post 6556618)
I was just wondering if anyone had or is using New Life New Zealand to help them through the immigration minefield, they aren't cheap! but do they support you and get you the required results? its just that i'm about to start using them but another UK based agent says he can do it for less than a third of NLNZ price, so is it, you get what you pay for or am i being 'gently shafted' (lol) from 12,000 miles away..............HELP !
If anyone has any thoughts positive or negative id be interested to know.
Thanks

unless your application is particularly tricky there is no reason to pay an agent to do it. many on here have done it themselves. is there any particular reason you think you need an agent?

any agent that "guarantees results" should raise a red flag. any immigration consultant that promises to get you jobs as well should raise two red flags

over50 Jul 10th 2008 2:46 pm

If you look on this site you will find loads of people that are or have been through the immigration process. We are currently going through it also and at first we thought about using an agent..... till we asked the price that is...
If you look on the immigration site itself it has guides that can be printed off to help you through the immigration process with the fees that apply for whichever way you are going to enter NZ.
I think you might have judged by now that we did it ourselves, it is a longish process and the forms do take a while to fill in, but if you get stuck as I said there is plenty of help on this site from others who have been through the same process. I must say we got quoted around 6K for an agent to do what we done for ourselves for just over a third of the price.
In the end it is up to the individual and their circumstances and how you feel about the lengthy form filling, just bear in mind though you still have to supply the agent with the info anyway.....so the choice is up to you whether you carry on with the agent or do it yourselves. To be honest now knowing how much it actually costs we would have felt shafted totally.
There is a saying why pay someone else to do something you can do yourself, time and patience is all you need and a few bob in the bank to pay the fees...:rofl: why give thousands to someone else when you can use that for setting up home in NZ !
Good luck with whichever decisioin you make no one will judge you for using one after all it is your decision at the end of the day.
Steve and Dee :)

over50 Jul 10th 2008 2:52 pm

Take a look at the thread on this site immigration here from Kev and Sarah titled immigration consultant regulations might help you further.
Steve and Dee

j19fmm Jul 10th 2008 3:06 pm

We used NLNZ initially to see if we could emigrate...but that was before we found this site! Paul Goddard was very helpful and approachable, but for that money you'd hope he would be. There is a free phone number to ring and chat, but to be honest they didn't tell us anything we couldn't have found out by doing the online EOI or by asking all the kind folks on here. I didn't think they could have helped with finding me a teaching job either, that would still have been down to me being over there and selling myself.
But, hey, it suits some people to feel they've got a person to help at the end of the phone.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:thumbsup:

howden40 Jul 12th 2008 7:26 am

From reading different threads on this subject the general consensus seems to be DIY and ask any questions you need help with on this site, unless it's a complicated case. We did a DIY job, it's long winded but easily achievable. Besides any info that is required you collect anyway, you do the leg work so you might as well do the documentations which is mainly certified photocopies anyway.

You can always start with DIY and then if you need help that cannot be found on this site invest in a consultant.

Hope this helps
Pauline