British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New here, with some questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-here-some-questions-624145/)

cooper_man Aug 6th 2009 10:57 am

New here, with some questions

Hey guys!

Great to see such an active forum. Ive read through a few posts and seems like a great resource.

I am working in Google in Dublin and I got offered a job in NZ with an online marketing agency (to start in November) so we wanna go!

Myself and my partner are currently looking at the best solutions, in theory we have a good chance with the EOI but because we have to travel in Nov it is not an option yet, we would never have the response in time..... and it is not possible to travel over and begin to work on an approval in principle etc?

ANyway, what do you think are our best options. I was planning on applying for a 2 year work permit with my employer filling the intention form for me. My partner was going to apply for a 'partner' working visa based on me. It takes about 4-6 weeks for approval on that. If hers fails she was planning on going on a WHV and if she gets a job taking it from there.

Do you think that is the most viable option for us? How are they at the moment with working visa's? When we arrive we could start an application for permnanet residency.

What do you think, my heart is broken with all this confusion! lol

Thanks

Paul

Dewb09 Aug 6th 2009 3:00 pm

Re: New here, with some questions

Just wanted to say Hi & welcome to you,:)

sorry can offer no help to your questions as I am going the family category route (OH Kiwi) so sorry no light to shed, but no doubt others will have some good answers.

Dewb

cooper_man Aug 7th 2009 8:01 am

Hi Dewb!

Hopefully some people here can shed some light on my queries but either way i will be around for a while. It's a great forum and one of the few active ones I can find out there!

Persephone Aug 8th 2009 6:58 am

Hi there and welcome!
You're right that you do not have enough time to submit an EOI and be sure that you'll get Approved in time. You may, but equally you probably won't-NZ House cannot be relied upon to be that fast;).
You can't work if you are Approved in Principle-you have to have the residency permit and visas and have paid the migrant levy. You can travel to NZ though, just not work.
It sounds like you are doing the right thing, apply for a work visa/permit and then apply for PR. You can send both applications in at once of course.

From NZ House:

Statistically, 71% of visitor visa applications, 85% of work visa applications and 79% of student visa applications are processed within 15 days. Please note that these are indicative timeframes only and should not be taken to mean that we guarantee your application will be processed within these timeframes.

Applicants should continue to allow at least four weeks for the processing of visa applications. Some applications may take longer to process than others and we will not necessarily know how long we will take to process your application until it is assessed.
So you should get a work visa in plenty of time!
Hope this helps
Sue

cooper_man Aug 8th 2009 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 7823909)
Hi there and welcome!
You're right that you do not have enough time to submit an EOI and be sure that you'll get Approved in time. You may, but equally you probably won't-NZ House cannot be relied upon to be that fast;).
You can't work if you are Approved in Principle-you have to have the residency permit and visas and have paid the migrant levy. You can travel to NZ though, just not work.
It sounds like you are doing the right thing, apply for a work visa/permit and then apply for PR. You can send both applications in at once of course.

From NZ House:

So you should get a work visa in plenty of time!
Hope this helps
Sue

That is exactly the answers i needed! Thanks very much Persephone. And in your opinion, the best work visa to apply for is the 'essential skills' work visa (formerly the general work visa) and ask my employer to fill in the form for it?

Persephone Aug 8th 2009 10:20 am

That is probably the best option then. Is your job on one of the essential skills in demand lists? If not your employer will have to prove that no New Zealanders are able to do the job.

Your only other option is the Work to Residence visa but certain conditions apply and it takes two years to gain PR. Your employer would need to be accredited or your profession on the Long Term Skills shortage List. There are other categories as well. If you can get PR via the SMC then that is quicker than waiting 2 years.
If you are planning on staying then PR is obviously the more secure choice.

There are some on here who have gone down the work visa and also EOI route so hopefully they'll be along to give further advice! I went through the SMC and gained PR before coming over and getting a job.I wanted the security of PR-they can't throw me out and I'm not planning on doing anything too bad...

Sue:D

LucyS Aug 12th 2009 12:43 am

I came over on a 5 year work visa, with a job offer that is not with an accredited employer and is also not on the LSS list (I work in IT but wrong sort for the LSS!).
My employer therefore had to fill in the form that proves there were no NZ candidates. As they used a recruitment consultant he also wrote a bit on the process and why I was the only possible candidate. I used an immigration lawyer to check all the employer stuff was done right, worth it if you're borderline like me. Shop around if you do this, use a NZ based one, not UK (the price I paid was less $ than I would have paid pounds - by a lot!). I did apply in London, so yes a bit of a pain with posting stuff that far, but your employer is going to have to post the form to you anyway.
The medical and police certificate take a while (though had my medical in NZ when was here job hunting - much quicker and cheaper than UK!) so if you haven't got them get going!
I took my application in to NZ house and collected it - very easy if you can and saves those few days post (and thinking :ohmy: supposing Royal Mail lose it).
So down to what you really want to know - it took almost exactly 6 weeks to process and my application was not straight forward, got referred both to a medical officer and a technical officer (I think this was the person who knew about the specific industry/job).
It felt like forever mind you - my job was offered me at Easter with a ASAP start date and didn't actually start until 13 July. I also didn't book flights or do any final planning until had the visa (so superstitious I know!).
So I had 12 days between getting it approved and my flight :eek:
I did make a nuisance of myself and nag them - my case officer went off sick for a few days and no they didn't pass it on to someone else it just sat on her desk - don't they understand it is our futures they are treating so lightly! To be fair the case officer was lovely.
Good Luck - it's worth it:thumbsup:

luvwelly Aug 12th 2009 1:32 am

Originally Posted by LucyS (Post 7834415)
I came over on a 5 year work visa, with a job offer that is not with an accredited employer and is also not on the LSS list (I work in IT but wrong sort for the LSS!).
My employer therefore had to fill in the form that proves there were no NZ candidates. As they used a recruitment consultant he also wrote a bit on the process and why I was the only possible candidate. I used an immigration lawyer to check all the employer stuff was done right, worth it if you're borderline like me. Shop around if you do this, use a NZ based one, not UK (the price I paid was less $ than I would have paid pounds - by a lot!). I did apply in London, so yes a bit of a pain with posting stuff that far, but your employer is going to have to post the form to you anyway.
The medical and police certificate take a while (though had my medical in NZ when was here job hunting - much quicker and cheaper than UK!) so if you haven't got them get going!
I took my application in to NZ house and collected it - very easy if you can and saves those few days post (and thinking :ohmy: supposing Royal Mail lose it).
So down to what you really want to know - it took almost exactly 6 weeks to process and my application was not straight forward, got referred both to a medical officer and a technical officer (I think this was the person who knew about the specific industry/job).
It felt like forever mind you - my job was offered me at Easter with a ASAP start date and didn't actually start until 13 July. I also didn't book flights or do any final planning until had the visa (so superstitious I know!).
So I had 12 days between getting it approved and my flight :eek:
I did make a nuisance of myself and nag them - my case officer went off sick for a few days and no they didn't pass it on to someone else it just sat on her desk - don't they understand it is our futures they are treating so lightly! To be fair the case officer was lovely.
Good Luck - it's worth it:thumbsup:

Well that's interesting because we were told the maximum work visa period was 3 years (which we got) even though my OH is here supposedly on a 4 year posting.
Either the rules have changed or your employer has made a very good case. Rather than renew again just before 3 years is up, have put in a PR application....you may wish to do the same ultimately just to keep your options open.

Wooly_Cow Aug 12th 2009 2:00 am

I applied for a work visa through my employer valid for 2 years, and at the same time did the EOI/PR.

This way I saved the costs and effort of doing two lots of police checks and medicals (the company paid for the work visa lot :)). We are 6 people so the costs were HUGE.

As it happened my PR came through about a week after landing here (took about 4 weeks from EOI to PR!), but I waited to collect it till I went back to London (saved them having to transfer files etc.) and the family were still in the UK.

Anyway I am now VERY glad I have PR because I have got my pension moving again and ....if I loose my job I can stay here...a LOT of people are in the horrible situation of loosing their job and right to stay at the same time....not nice!

LucyS Aug 12th 2009 2:58 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7834538)
Well that's interesting because we were told the maximum work visa period was 3 years (which we got) even though my OH is here supposedly on a 4 year posting.
Either the rules have changed or your employer has made a very good case. Rather than renew again just before 3 years is up, have put in a PR application....you may wish to do the same ultimately just to keep your options open.

Mine in fact lasts 4.5 years as can only go to 1 month before your passport expires. The rules actually say:
If no maximum stay is specified in the information
on specific policies, work visas
and permits can be granted for a maximum stay
of three years. The exception to this is visas and
permits for highly skilled people granted under
Essential Skills policy, which can be for a maximum
duration of five years

So I applied under the Essential Skills policy, even though I don't exactly fit into the definition against my job in the list. To apply as an IT person, you have to have a degree in IT, but virtually no-one my age (therefore with that many years experience) has an IT degree. Plus I am a qualified accountant but NZIS say you have to have an accounting degree for that to count, and that is fairly rare in the UK. What sort of 18 year old wants to be an accountant?!:rofl:

Will also apply for PR after a couple of years, want to be able to have the opportunity to give up doing a proper job but still stay here!