British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New here so brief intro/mither (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-here-so-brief-intro-mither-782968/)

dave_giz Jan 8th 2013 9:30 am

New here so brief intro/mither

I've done this once before on another forum that has since disappeared called "*****" as I'd started the ball rolling re' emigration with my wife and I scoring the bare minimum 100 points that were required at that time about 5 years ago, but then my job changed and life got in the way.

This time we aren't in the giddy rush we were back then. Previously my wife was willing to take a teaching job in NZ to get us in even though that is not what she wants to do for a living any more - so it would have probably been very short sighted of us to try and go ahead with it all as we'd have been under pressure straight away. This time I'd prefer that the pressure was on me and I'd like to build up some contacts and maybe even do some work from home for NZ firms to make the transition less jarring if possible, so all/any advice gratefully received.

My last 10 years have been spent on computers either designing sheet metal fabrication for the catering industry, commercial extraction systems and more recently I've begun doing 3D domestic building and landscape designs. It's the building and landscape side of things that I think gives me the best employment opportunities in the construction industry there, but I don't know how things stand these days. Construction is always on the wanted list, but do they only require more building site oriented people?

Please don't feel the need to 'sugar coat' your responses, I'd prefer good honest replies please as I need to know if my hopes are realistic :unsure:

Kind regards,

Dave

Sherlock Holmes Jan 8th 2013 10:50 am

Re: New here so brief intro/mither

Hi there, your first post was automatically moderated as it contained the name of a company that has asked not to be named on BE.

I have now validated your post.

Sorry about the inconvenience and welcome.

dave_giz Jan 8th 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10471022)
Hi there, your first post was automatically moderated as it contained the name of a company that has asked not to be named on BE.

I have now validated your post.

Sorry about the inconvenience and welcome.

Thanks for that, it was no inconvenience at all. I do find it very peculiar about 'that company', but there's probably a back story I'm not aware of :)

Anyway, keeping the thread on topic - let's talk about me me me :D

MrsFychan Jan 8th 2013 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by dave_giz (Post 10471206)
Anyway, keeping the thread on topic - let's talk about me me me :D

Liking your style you will fit straight in :D

think your best bet would be to see if your skills are listed as ones on the shortage lists.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1

bottom of page and make sure both options is ticked.
If it is fill out the EOI and let us know your point score

dave_giz Jan 9th 2013 8:50 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10471998)
Liking your style you will fit straight in :D

think your best bet would be to see if your skills are listed as ones on the shortage lists.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1

bottom of page and make sure both options is ticked.
If it is fill out the EOI and let us know your point score

I'm one expensive qualification off being on the list, so I was kind of hoping to get some contacts to do some free demo work for in NZ and maybe this would lead to a bit of regular work while I get everything sorted that I need at this end. If I can do that (and I know I'm dreaming a bit here), then I'd hopefully have a few job offers waiting for me :fingerscrossed:

MrsFychan Jan 10th 2013 1:10 am

Originally Posted by dave_giz (Post 10473054)
I'm one expensive qualification off being on the list, so I was kind of hoping to get some contacts to do some free demo work for in NZ and maybe this would lead to a bit of regular work while I get everything sorted that I need at this end. If I can do that (and I know I'm dreaming a bit here), then I'd hopefully have a few job offers waiting for me :fingerscrossed:

Job offer doesn't automatically qualify you to get a visa to allow you to work, you need a visa for that but you don't need a visa to get the offer just to start and you would still need the requested qualifications to get the visa. maybe look at other visa options

dave_giz Jan 10th 2013 9:34 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10474462)
Job offer doesn't automatically qualify you to get a visa to allow you to work, you need a visa for that but you don't need a visa to get the offer just to start and you would still need the requested qualifications to get the visa. maybe look at other visa options

Oh yes I know that, I'm just trying to make it so that the transition would be as smooth as possible. If I had already established some contacts over there, then it would save me lots of stress starting from scratch when the time comes (I'm sure I'll find plenty of other things to stress myself out about by then ;-).)

BEVS Jan 11th 2013 8:07 pm

Hi there Dave_Giz and welcome to BE.

It's a bit confusing from what you have written but are you still looking at the Skilled migrant Category as a route to NZ entry?

As an old hand at this game you'll have done the points check for both you and your wife as main applicants then. It's as it always has been with this category. Points means prizes.
140 will get you an automatic selection from the pool. A job offer will certainly more than help especially if your points are 'up there' .

As you probably know teachers are no longer seen as being in shortage here but it is still seen as a skilled occupation.

Do you have the qualification level that NZIS require for your current occupation - the one you want to come in under?

so I was kind of hoping to get some contacts to do some free demo work for in NZ and maybe this would lead to a bit of regular work while I get everything sorted that I need at this end. If I can do that (and I know I'm dreaming a bit here), then I'd hopefully have a few job offers waiting for me
I sort of see the idea. A route to a concrete job offer as the points don't stack up? Is that the angle you are coming from?

dave_giz Jan 12th 2013 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10477964)
Hi there Dave_Giz and welcome to BE.

It's a bit confusing from what you have written but are you still looking at the Skilled migrant Category as a route to NZ entry?

As an old hand at this game you'll have done the points check for both you and your wife as main applicants then. It's as it always has been with this category. Points means prizes.
140 will get you an automatic selection from the pool. A job offer will certainly more than help especially if your points are 'up there' .

As you probably know teachers are no longer seen as being in shortage here but it is still seen as a skilled occupation.

Do you have the qualification level that NZIS require for your current occupation - the one you want to come in under?

I sort of see the idea. A route to a concrete job offer as the points don't stack up? Is that the angle you are coming from?

Hello, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm sorry if my stuff is a bit garbled - that tends to happen when I type on my phone and can only see a fraction of what I've written ........ and in real life when I fail to fully engage my brain ....... okay it's mainly the latter.

The last time we looked into it we just met the bare minimum 100 points that was required - this was based on my wife being a teacher which wasn't ideal as she no longer wished to be one. Everything seemed so urgent and stressful, so this time we are a lot more relaxed about things and decided that if it's not perfect then we won't go ahead with it. I've several qualifications that I could look into getting that would help with an application, but I want to make sure it's not just a means to an end, it needs to be something I'll enjoy (at least a little bit). Also, I'd like to build up my experience of working for NZ firms while I obtain my qualification - not just for the sake of points, but to smooth the way once I get there.

My view is that there's no rush and I've nothing to lose by "putting the feelers out" for work now (I currently do freelance design work for building and landscaping firms, so I can work from anywhere for anyone as long as I've got my laptop)

Looking back at what I've just written I'm not sure I've really cleared anything up :confused: