new to forum eoi selected next step

Old Aug 12th 2013, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

wakeride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to forum eoi selected next step

Hi Guys

Just a quick hello from a 25 year old couple from the UK. I myself am an industrial electrical and my partner is a marine biologist. We are looking to make the move after our time living in the cook islands and visiting NZ for over a month. We decided we would give it a bash and emigrate. We are both huge water sports fans: wakeboarding, kite surfing, and both dive instructors, so we felt that NZ could offer us an interesting life. We both know of the downsides, houses, wages etc, but still feel it is right for us. Neither of us long for the good shopping and city life as we live in small towns. We have been going through the visa process for a while now and saving up for the move. We are looking to make the move as soon as possible as time is flying past. We have had our EOI selected with 140 pointed without a job offer and are looking for the next step. We either wait and get the visa and then travel over to find a job in the area, or find a job before setting off. I am looking for a job now. Which method would you suggest to be better? Finding a job before coming out or looking whilst there?

Thanks
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:07 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to forum eoi selected next step

Good day and welcome to the forum.

If I were you I would get a WHV (working holiday visa) which will allow you to live and work for up to 23 months. Plenty of time then to score a job that will support a immigration application.

With your skillset you should have a lot of fun as well!
Old Aug 12th 2013, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

In my own experience, I have found literally hundreds of jobs on the internet. As I am on the skills shortage list I thought things would be easy.... wrong! most of the advertise,"jobs" either don't exist as they are agencies fishing, or require you to be, "on the ground". It is great to get some contacts first, but be wary of the big agencies. Not sure if I am allowed to say on here, so I won't, but I have found a couple of good agencies who have hooked up real job interview for me. PM me and I will give you details if you want! If you can land without a job and have not restrictions on you visa, and of course if you can afford it, don't stress too much about securing a job until you land. keep your options open. Good luck
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Wakeride!

It's hard to say what's the best option in terms of job hunting. Some manage to find jobs from overseas, others need to be in NZ. It can depend on the specific occupation.
The WHV is a good option as it means you can get over here and start work whilst the residency application ticks along. It appears that many employers do not understand the immigration system and do like applicants to have a visa in advance.
However if you're in no rush, your eoi has been selected already, you may be issued residency straight off and could come over with that already in place.
The alternative is that you are issued a job search visa and once you find a job, have worked for three months then you convert to residency.

Unfortunately there's no easy answer. If your plan is to come over asap then the WHV may be better. You can always start applying for jobs anyway and see what comes up
P