British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   New and confused! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/new-confused-496939/)

MrsKiwi Nov 29th 2007 1:44 pm

New and confused!

Hello,

I'm new to all of this immigration malarkey, and am getting more confused by the minute. Currently I live in the UK with my NZ hubby and child, and we are moving to NZ in 2008. I have been going around in circles on the NZ government immigration websites, trying to work out what I need in terms of visas/permits to legally work and live there. Is it just me or are all the websites confusing?! This website is great, and the forums have lots of useful info, but I am still feeling lost because of the acronyms which everybody is using - is there a secret language which I can learn please:confused:?!

My understanding is that as hubby is a NZ citizen he can sponsor me, and to live and work there I think I need both a work permit and permanent residency - is that right? Which should I apply for first? Do I need one before I can apply for the other? How long does the processing take? I've gathered that you can apply when you get to NZ - is that for one or both, and does it make any difference to cost or processing time?

Would really appreciate if somebody could set me straight on all this or direct me somewhere which outlines all this clearly.

Thank you!

MrsKiwi

newkiwi Nov 29th 2007 3:04 pm

Re: New and confused!

Originally Posted by MrsKiwi (Post 5614357)
Hello,

I'm new to all of this immigration malarkey, and am getting more confused by the minute. Currently I live in the UK with my NZ hubby and child, and we are moving to NZ in 2008. I have been going around in circles on the NZ government immigration websites, trying to work out what I need in terms of visas/permits to legally work and live there. Is it just me or are all the websites confusing?! This website is great, and the forums have lots of useful info, but I am still feeling lost because of the acronyms which everybody is using - is there a secret language which I can learn please:confused:?!

My understanding is that as hubby is a NZ citizen he can sponsor me, and to live and work there I think I need both a work permit and permanent residency - is that right? Which should I apply for first? Do I need one before I can apply for the other? How long does the processing take? I've gathered that you can apply when you get to NZ - is that for one or both, and does it make any difference to cost or processing time?

Would really appreciate if somebody could set me straight on all this or direct me somewhere which outlines all this clearly.

Thank you!

MrsKiwi

As your husband is a NZ citizen he can (has to) sponsor you. He has to fill out a sponsorship form. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nsormypartner/

You will need to show you have been in a genuine marriage. You need to fill out a residency application. The form you use is the same form as for permanent residency, you can download it from the immigration.govt.nz website, and Section C "partnership" applies to you. The form is NZIS 1000, look under the forms section on the NZIS immigration website.

You do not need a workpermit, only a residence application.

Your child probalby qualifies as a NZ citizen, you should get a NZ passport for him/her and use that to travel to NZ.

not sure how long the process takes, you need to get police clearances and medicals done before you submit the application, the application processing time i dont know, guessing 2-3 months.

hope this helps

BEVS Nov 29th 2007 10:15 pm

Re: New and confused!

Link for Residency Application Form