British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Neewbie to forum, lots of questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/neewbie-forum-lots-questions-635938/)

DavenHelen Oct 15th 2009 10:14 pm

Neewbie to forum, lots of questions

Hi all I have just had my NZQA PAR (Pre-assessment Result ) and they have recognised my Computer Science degree as a level 7 degree - 50 points.

I have over 16 years ICT experience and slightly confused, can I claim points for both experience in a future growth area & absolute skills shortage, which I think I qualify with (ICT Professionals (261111 to 263312)) ?

I also worked on a short term contract in Auckland 10 years ago whilst on a < 30's working holiday visa, can I claim 5 points for that experience or does it have to be over 1 year?

Final question is really a timeline question, From submission of EOI - ITA and then to approval, medicals police clearance etc how long does the selection process take ?
Then do I have to get myself & family over within a 12 month period and find a job.

All very scary/exciting but we are going for it.

Hope someone can help with above questions.

littleal Oct 16th 2009 4:47 am

Re: Neewbie to forum, lots of questions

Originally Posted by DavenHelen (Post 8019982)
Hi all I have just had my NZQA PAR (Pre-assessment Result ) and they have recognised my Computer Science degree as a level 7 degree - 50 points.

I have over 16 years ICT experience and slightly confused, can I claim points for both experience in a future growth area & absolute skills shortage, which I think I qualify with (ICT Professionals (261111 to 263312)) ?

I also worked on a short term contract in Auckland 10 years ago whilst on a < 30's working holiday visa, can I claim 5 points for that experience or does it have to be over 1 year?

Final question is really a timeline question, From submission of EOI - ITA and then to approval, medicals police clearance etc how long does the selection process take ?
Then do I have to get myself & family over within a 12 month period and find a job.

All very scary/exciting but we are going for it.

Hope someone can help with above questions.

Can't help with all that as you forget quite quickly the details.

However timing is quicker if you have a job, as NZIS will give your application priority. We applied around May 07, got a job in September 07 when we were then picked from the pool. Medicals were the biggest pain as we had issues that went to the assessor. We were finally approved in Jan 08 and started work in NZ in Feb 08.

Good luck

LukeandJo Oct 16th 2009 5:17 am

As you go through the EOI answering the questions it does make sense.
I claimed point for qualification (IT BSc Hons), skill shortage and growth area.

A lot of the questions are YES / NO and works out the points for you etc.
Go ahead and start filling it in.

What does concern me though, was you had your degree pre-assessed?
I didn't with mine or Jos. Institution was listed and degrees are recognised????

Unsure....

DavenHelen Oct 16th 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks for advice. I am not using an agent & I had previously had conversations with an agent and an official from NZ immigration that it would be better to get my degree pre assessed first. My issuing institution (Poly) changed it's name in the 1990's . Pre assessment only took 4 days.

Does anyone know how long the process takes end to end i.e. from submission of EOI (without job offer) to actually entering NZ?

BEVS Oct 16th 2009 11:00 pm

Hi DavenHelen and welcome to BE.

There is no definitive answer to your question ,I'm afraid ,as each persons application & timeline is different .
Some folks here have put their timelines into their signatures.

The Jezzers Oct 17th 2009 4:57 am

Hi there and welcome you can check out our time line at the bottom. Hope this helps.
This was without a job offer.

DavenHelen Oct 17th 2009 8:01 am

Cheers BEVS & Jeezers. I remember we had a fantastic day out at Mt Manganui when we were over in 1998. Can wait to get this all moving.

:D
cheers

LukeandJo Oct 17th 2009 9:28 am

The best option to take is read the immigration website.
Its full of all the information you need.
Slowly work through the EOI, using the manual for anything your not clear about.

People can help you out on the forums, but each persons EOI is different and comes with different circumstances. Many people here have filled in an EOI and it may very well need some searching on the forum as well.

Its exciting once the ball is rolling I can assure you of that.