British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Needing advice re options for emigrating (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/needing-advice-re-options-emigrating-542953/)

slmch Jun 14th 2008 11:26 am

Needing advice re options for emigrating

Hi there,
I'm just looking for a bit of advice and a few answers if anyone is willing to help me!
I'm 29 and curently in New Zealand on a working holiday visa. I'm coming up for the 23 month mark so need to make a decision as to my next step.
My mother (aged 53) is a permanent resident in New Zealand along with my younger sister (aged 17).
My father lives in the UK with his wife.
I have two other siblings, both of whom live in the UK.
I will not qualify as a skilled migrant so my other option as I see it is to be sponsored by my mother as an adult child. Here's where I need the advice...

On the New Zealand immigration website it says that in order for me to be sponsored I must "have no other siblings or parents who are living lawfully and permanently in the same country in which they are living lawfully and permanently"

As I have been living in New Zealand for nearly 2 years how does this work?? Does this count as the country I am living in lawfully and permanently or do I use the country from which I was in before this??

As my father and two brothers are living in the UK, I take it to mean that I won't be eligible under this sponsor stream...? Is that correct?

If so I wonder if I can move to another country and this will mean I am no longer in the UK so I am not in the same country as my siblings.
I hold two passports - British and Irish. So I am entitled to live in Ireland lawfully and permanently. But if I put down that I am Irish would this affect the fact that I had been in New Zealand on my UK passport for 2 years on a workig holiday visa?

I am hoping that someone can make sense of what I am asking as I know that what I've written is awful long winded but I hope you can understand I am starting to panic!

TeamEmbo Jun 17th 2008 9:06 am

Re: Needing advice re options for emigrating

Are you currently working? If so, why not apply for an ordinary work permit? If you are not currently working - get a job and apply for a work permit.

Extract from NZ Immigration website re working holiday visa

When you’re here
you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary Work Permit while you’re here)
you must not work for a period exceeding 12 months
you can enrol in one training or study course of up to three months duration during your visit.

As far as I can remember you can just keep applying for work permit extensions.
In fact, I can't see why you can't apply for PR, just not under the skilled migrant category.