Need some advice please!

Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:23 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all
Default Need some advice please!

Hello to everyone, the first time is always the worst!
Here we go then.
First looked to emigrate 7 years ago but things happen, so a no go. Got qualifications in Welding and Fabrication then (NZQA assessed NZ level 3) not good enough, it appears I now need Level 4. I have tried talking to INZ because as well as work experience I also can obtain a weld coding BS EN 287-1 and was trying to find out if the 2 together would score me enough points to put in as recognised qualification (NZQA don't assess BS standards). If I could I have the points for EOI. INZ as nice and helpful as they are (compared to UK pen pushers) could not grasp what I was telling them and kept telling me to look at the website LTSSL which was no help.
So does anybody know if there is anything comparible or does the dream stop now???
I have read a lot of the threads about WTR and WP and wondered if many years experience as a metalsmith/production manager, but with no paper qualifications was a route worth taking. Turn up in NZ, CV in hand as it were, find a job, nz$50000 I believe, come back, police check (already done,although it will probably expire) medical, xray, visa or work permit (not really sure which one). Pack up wife and kids and away we go!!!!!
One bonus is that my Father-in-law lives over there, 18 years now, so have some help. And if needs be somewhere to stay.
We just want to come, please help!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need some advice please!

Was that a full NZQA assessment or a PAR - preliminary assessment?

Did you gain an NVQ3 or C&G equivalent ?

When did you last speak with NZIS as the rules are somewhat changing on the 4th February.

Please see THIS THREAD

In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
From HERE
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marjol
We just want to come, please help!
Hi Marjol,
You don't necessarily need the NZ$50K to qualify for residency or a work permit unless you are going down the work-to-residency route.

Just a quickie about visas and permits as it seems lots of people get confused about the terminology. Generally speaking --

-A visa allows you to enter the country for a specific reason which will be stated on your visa which is pasted into your passport.

-A permit is what is granted at the airport when you arrive allowing you to to undertake activities which are spelled out on your visa.

-A permit can also be changed once in country if your circumstances change.

Medicals and police clearances are not necessary if your first work permit is issued for twelve months or less. If you extend your permit or apply for residency you will need the meds and x-ray (shelf life of not more than three months upon application) and police clearances (shelf life of no more than six months upon application).
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:55 pm
It might take a while!

Marjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to allMarjol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Was that a full NZQA assessment or a PAR - preliminary assessment?

Did you gain an NVQ3 or C&G equivalent ?

When did you last speak with NZIS as the rules are somewhat changing on the 4th February.

Please see THIS THREAD

From HERE
Hello BEVS here,
Answers as follows.

Full NZQA, UK level 2, NZ register of quality assured qualifications Level 3 in the NZ trade of Fabrication and Welding.
Spoke today (couple of hours ago) and a quick look at the quote you have listed gave me more info than NZIS. Does it mean that on an EOI (after Feb 4th) that I should qualify for points?
Martin
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:27 pm
`

Full NZQA assessment
OK

, UK level 2,
If this is an NVQ level 2 , then this is where it all came unstuck. You needed an NVQ level 3 .

When NZ sets the trade standards , they look to their own National Certificate levels. With NVQ they will recognise NVQ level 3 as being equal to the NZ national certificate.
However , as I said, the rules are changing. If you have on the job work
experience and other qualifications to go with this, then maybe, just maybe, it is in with a chance.

NZ register of quality assured qualifications Level 3 in the NZ trade of Fabrication and Welding.
Yes . An NVQ2 would equal an NZQA level 3. You need a level 4 = to National Certifcate standard.

Does it mean that on an EOI (after Feb 4th) that I should qualify for points
Hold your horses. Merely fetching up with an NVQ 2 won't do it. You still need to show NZIS that you have the standard. The rule change is brand new & not tried and tested by would-be migrants yet.

....wondered if many years experience as a metalsmith/production manager, but with no paper qualifications was a route worth taking
HHHmm. Well it is certainly worth exploring more , given you do have an NVQ 2 also & the mysterious
I also can obtain a weld coding BS EN 287-1
whatever that means or is.

Can you prove that you are of managerial standard?

For a WTR - work to residence visa, you would need to get a job offer with an acredited NZ employer [ there is a list of those] and earn $50K per annum.

You could be offered WTR if you gained a job offer from an employer that is not acredited listed. You would still need $50K pa and that employer would need an approval in principle. That means that there is no suitable NZ resident for the job.

You would still need to show that your skills match the employment offered.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:26 am
It might take a while!

Hello again, thanks for all of that.
I'll try to keep it brief, worked in industry for 19 years, same employer, allbeit a couple of takeovers and name changes, got Level 2 in 2001. Covered all aspects of metalsmithing from sheetmetal to construction. Iwould be able to put together a portfolio if it would help.
Natural progression over the years landed Production Manager role which included workshop supervisor, purchasing manager. I was number 1 after the owner.
On the Managerial Standard proof I can get a glowing reference from my former employer outlining my role within the company.
Although I am not there anymore I stay in touch and do some sub-contract work, useful to keep my hand in, also the joy of being self-employed.
On that note, is it possible to come in on a WP, with a view to find a job, then look to buy a Franchise without having to prove 3 years income in the bank, or a 3 year business plan? I have looked at the LTBV but it doesn't seem to cover franchises. I ask because I currently own a franchise in the UK
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:53 am
`

Oo You're in Dorset. Where? I hale from Bournemouth

If you want to have a good chat about LTBV , please look in at BENZ1. This forum and site is dedicated to all things LTBV. [ yes, I do have admins permission for this link]

On that note, is it possible to come in on a WP, with a view to find a job
It is a job offer first and then one applies for a work visa. Not the other way round. If you got a job offer and this was cleared through NZIS so you gained a work visa, then you could be on course for a PR application anyway.

When you take up a work visa, you will be tied to the employer and you must notify if you change anything about that.

HHmm. The new rules seem to fit you. The puzzle is how are these rules assessed or applied.

time for a bit of a dig around me thinks
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:24 am
It might take a while!

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Oo You're in Dorset. Where? I hale from Bournemouth

If you want to have a good chat about LTBV , please look in at BENZ1. This forum and site is dedicated to all things LTBV. [ yes, I do have admins permission for this link]

It is a job offer first and then one applies for a work visa. Not the other way round. If you got a job offer and this was cleared through NZIS so you gained a work visa, then you could be on course for a PR application anyway.

When you take up a work visa, you will be tied to the employer and you must notify if you change anything about that.

HHmm. The new rules seem to fit you. The puzzle is how are these rules assessed or applied.

time for a bit of a dig around me thinks
We are currently just outside of Shaftesbury, originally from Salisbury.
Thanks for the LTBV site, nothing on franchising at the mo,but will post a question. The more avenues to explore the better.
Will anybody at NZIS no enough about the new rules yet, or is it worth hanging on a while until the creases have been ironed out. Or get in there now while nobody has a clue!!!!
May have to have father-in-law find/create a job by hook or by crook, or fly over to find something, money I would rather not spend but a cost worth paying to fulfill the dream.

Martin