British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Need to be resident in NZ to apply for jobs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/need-resident-nz-apply-jobs-801634/)

Hazelnut Jul 1st 2013 2:21 pm

Need to be resident in NZ to apply for jobs?

I've been keeping an eye on vacancies for a few months now and I'm starting to see a few that have a clause that says you need to already be resident in NZ to apply for the post. As we can't get visas without a job offer this is a worrying trend.

Have employers always said this or is it something new?

Zuzuspetals Jul 1st 2013 6:47 pm

Re: Need to be resident in NZ to apply for jobs?

I've seen this also, I don't think it's a new trend.
Some say it, some don't.
If they've put this on an ad then I don't bother applying as they're obviously against me to start with...if they don't mention it then I my CV is in there :)

What I really hate is filling in an online form, doing a personalised letter/CV and then having a box at the very end of the form asking the resident question and then automatically discounting my application as I don't have any visa. At least ask me this BEFORE I've spent an hour filling things in :frown:!!!

Don't give up hope, my partner secured his job from abroad. We're currently waiting for the ITA....

MrsFychan Jul 1st 2013 8:12 pm

lots of employers do not understand that it is job offer first then visa. some don't want the hassle of going through the employment procedure and then wait but some seem fine with it, but they also have to be legally allowed to offer you a job.
In most cases if they need you to start immediately then you can get a temp work visa within a few days and then complete the long term visa as you go.

Send your CV into any job that you feel you are a fit for. better trying than not

moonie2011 Jul 1st 2013 10:11 pm

Agree with MrsF, apply for all jobs, my OH was applying for government agency jobs which all said residents only, but he had 3 interviews and eventually a job offer. As also said clearly described the visa system to them, what visa you will be able to get and the time frame for immigration issuing it.
At an interview OH asked if they understood the visa system and they said No, he did as above and they offered him the job :)
Good luck :fingerscrossed:

tiger mama Jul 2nd 2013 8:54 am

I have been told to ignore that and apply anyway, it's just a standard line that some of them put on without actually understanding the visa process as the others have said. Do however put a line in the covering letter succinctly explaining that you will be eligible for a visa upon receiving a job offer and explain in more detail at interview if you get one.

Hazelnut Jul 2nd 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the replies and reassurance. It's also good to know it's worth putting an application in anyway.

If we follow our normal pattern Mr Hazelnut will find work first as he's the more marketable one who will earn the higher wage. Once we know where we'll be for his work I then apply for anything and everything within that area that I'm capable of doing and that pays enough to make it better for me to work than to stay at home.

Once we've visited in January next year it's going to be a lot easier for us I think. This week we're thinking we can't afford to move and we'd be daft to give up our wonderful home in the UK. Next week we'll be all excited again. I'm guessing this is pretty normal for people thinking of making such a big move.

Zuzuspetals Jul 2nd 2013 4:51 pm

Perhaps I shouldn't be so defeatish to start with...interesting replies!
Good luck Hazlenut

M_and_M Jul 5th 2013 4:04 pm

Regardless of what it said I still applied anyway. I explicitly said I didn't have a visa and hadn't even started applying, at the time I applied. I got an interview, got the job, permanent contract to start as soon as I could get the paperwork and get there!