British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   need job offer for skilled migrant application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/need-job-offer-skilled-migrant-application-487882/)

bryan.eloise Oct 17th 2007 2:07 pm

need job offer for skilled migrant application

Hi, I'm very new to this and very very confused!
We (my husband, pets and I) want to move to NZ permanently. My husband is a chartered accountant with 6.5 yrs experience in banking/finance. he wants to apply as a skilled migrant but needs a job offer (we need the extra points), but how do you get a job offer without a work permit? Also, if he needs to be in NZ to get a job offer, does he need a work permit first and does that mean that he has to go over there alone and we follow later?

OR, Should he rather apply for a work permit (WTR)??? if so, can we go over as a family? complication is that we have three pets to take as well. can we take them if we are not residents??

many questions i know, but i need help. hopefully someone can shed some light Thks in advance!!!

littleal Oct 17th 2007 3:03 pm

Re: need job offer for skilled migrant application

Originally Posted by bryan.eloise (Post 5436129)
We (my husband, pets and I) want to move to NZ permanently. My husband is a chartered accountant with 6.5 yrs experience in banking/finance. he wants to apply as a skilled migrant but needs a job offer (we need the extra points), but how do you get a job offer without a work permit? Also, if he needs to be in NZ to get a job offer, does he need a work permit first and does that mean that he has to go over there alone and we follow later?

OR, Should he rather apply for a work permit (WTR)??? if so, can we go over as a family? complication is that we have three pets to take as well. can we take them if we are not residents??

many questions i know, but i need help. hopefully someone can shed some light Thks in advance!!!

Welcome Bryan & Eloise

I am a CIMA qualified accountant and I've got a job offer after a video conference interview. Bryan should find it easier as ICAEW is more widely recognised in NZ. Do you have preferences as to where you live? I think the banking sector will direct you more towards Auckland but he may find work elsewhere. Ring the Hudson recruitment agency office in London and ask for Paula McCashin, as she has some very sensible and practical advice.

As long as you are not too narrow in your choices about where you want to go or what your experience is, I think you'll find a job without too much problem. Go on the big companies websites - they all have a Careers section.

Good luck
Alison :thumbup:

Alison1967 Oct 17th 2007 3:16 pm

You don't need a job just a job offer letter!
Im a nurse so I approached a hospital and sent them my CV, I got a letter stating that on the basis of my experience if they had a vacancy they would employ me and that was good enough. I did have to reassure them that I wouldn't hold them to it though.

Ali

happynz Oct 17th 2007 5:16 pm

We (my husband, pets and I) want to move to NZ permanently. My husband is a chartered accountant with 6.5 yrs experience in banking/finance. he wants to apply as a skilled migrant but needs a job offer (we need the extra points), but how do you get a job offer without a work permit?

You can get job offers without work permits. You cannot legally work in New Zealand without a work permit or residency. A job offer will help you get that work permit or residency sticker in your passport.

Also, if he needs to be in NZ to get a job offer, does he need a work permit first and does that mean that he has to go over there alone and we follow later?

If he gets a job offer (either in New Zealand or outside New Zealand) and applies for a temporary work permit you will be given a temporary open work permit valid the same period of time as your husband's, then you can accompany your husband to New Zealand. If you want to both go out on visitor permits and source a job here that's OK as well (remember though, you can only work after you get the work permit or if you are granted residency). If you apply for permanent residency and are successful, then no worries.

You can come over without a job if you have been granted permanent residency. However, there are no open work temporary permits for principle applicants (well, there is the working holiday visa, but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish).

Sorry, I don't have any dogs or cats so I have no idea about bringing your pets. From reading the forum it seems as if bringing your furry friends will cost a fair chunk of change.

Good luck.

BEVS Oct 17th 2007 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alison1967 (Post 5436348)
You don't need a job just a job offer letter!
Im a nurse so I approached a hospital and sent them my CV, I got a letter stating that on the basis of my experience if they had a vacancy they would employ me and that was good enough. I did have to reassure them that I wouldn't hold them to it though.

Ali

Um. Not quite so for New Zealand.

If you apply under the SMC with a job offer, then in all likelihood your PR will have a proviso that you remain in that specific job for three months.
NZIS will phone the employer to check credentials and that the job matches the skill.
Any job offer letter should include the terms and conditions of the job.

BEVS Oct 17th 2007 8:37 pm

Sorry Bryan and Eloise.:o Meant to say Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forum.

There are plenty of people here to help and support. Just ask away
& Happy Posting. :thumbup:

If you come in under a work permit rather than permanent residency then you will still be able to bring your pets. We did just that ! You will also be able to bring your container of worldly possessions without a customs duty charge.

If you come in on a visitors visa then you will not be able to bring the pets or sticks of furniture.

Bringing the furry friends is quite easy peasey although as HappyNZ states, it does cost £££. We used Airpets at Heathrow.Others further North in the UK have used Golden Arrow. They walk you through the process.

bryan.eloise Oct 18th 2007 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5437342)
Sorry Bryan and Eloise.:o Meant to say Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forum.

There are plenty of people here to help and support. Just ask away
& Happy Posting. :thumbup:

If you come in under a work permit rather than permanent residency then you will still be able to bring your pets. We did just that ! You will also be able to bring your container of worldly possessions without a customs duty charge.

If you come in on a visitors visa then you will not be able to bring the pets or sticks of furniture.

Bringing the furry friends is quite easy peasey although as HappyNZ states, it does cost £££. We used Airpets at Heathrow.Others further North in the UK have used Golden Arrow. They walk you through the process.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Will investigate further.......

JAJ Oct 18th 2007 11:21 pm

Can't help much about NZ, other than to say that Australia would probably offer a more straightforward visa pathway, especially if he is under 45. (you may have rejected Australia already, but if not then perhaps look at the option).

Alison1967 Oct 20th 2007 7:50 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5437314)
Um. Not quite so for New Zealand.

If you apply under the SMC with a job offer, then in all likelihood your PR will have a proviso that you remain in that specific job for three months.
NZIS will phone the employer to check credentials and that the job matches the skill.
Any job offer letter should include the terms and conditions of the job.

Was talking in regard to getting a PR visa not work permit as was my case but good catch ;)

Ali

BEVS Oct 20th 2007 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Alison1967 (Post 5446350)
Was talking in regard to getting a PR visa not work permit

Ali

So was I.

I don't know how it is for Oz but for New Zealand :-

Work permit ties you to your job offer and job unless you apply for a variation of conditions , in which case, if accepted, then a new permit would be issued.

For PR.
If you use a job offer for points and PR is issued , then the PR visa will tie you to the job offer and the employer for three months. The job offer can be a letter but it must show terms and conditions of employment. It should be full time and permanent plus show a reasonable rate of pay .
NZIS will check back with the employer that the job offer is bona fide . Mostly this is done via a phone call it seems.

I got a letter stating that on the basis of my experience if they had a vacancy they would employ me and that was good enough. I did have to reassure them that I wouldn't hold them to it though.
That would not be good enough for NZIS but perhaps you are talking of the process to gain PR in Oz and not with regard to NZ.

Alison1967 Oct 21st 2007 7:50 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5448434)
So was I.

I don't know how it is for Oz but for New Zealand :-

Work permit ties you to your job offer and job unless you apply for a variation of conditions , in which case, if accepted, then a new permit would be issued.

For PR.
If you use a job offer for points and PR is issued , then the PR visa will tie you to the job offer and the employer for three months. The job offer can be a letter but it must show terms and conditions of employment. It should be full time and permanent plus show a reasonable rate of pay .
NZIS will check back with the employer that the job offer is bona fide . Mostly this is done via a phone call it seems.

That would not be good enough for NZIS but perhaps you are talking of the process to gain PR in Oz and not with regard to NZ.

Yes I was talking in regard to Oz, good to be clear about the difference which is what I valued on here whilst applying originally. Thanks Bev! :D