Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Need a job offer to get enough points...chicken and egg!

Need a job offer to get enough points...chicken and egg!

Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:51 am
Just Joined

BrightyRB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need a job offer to get enough points...chicken and egg!

Hi,

According to the points indicator i need a job offer to have enough points for mt EOI or visa application. But, to get a job i seem to need a visa. Does anyone know how i can get round this issue?

Is it possible to get a job offer before i've got my visa?

Thank you for your replies
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need a job offer to get enough points...chicken and egg!

A bit more information may help here. Is your occupation on the shortages list for starters.

Yes. it is possible to find a job offer first but in this day and age it will hughly depend on what you do and whether you have boots on ground or not.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

BrightyRB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i am a mechanical fitter, with an advanced city and guilds appreticeship behind me. However, it is from over 20 years ago and my research indicates that im not on the skills shortage list, although similar jobs are. I have over 20years work experience in the field. The difficulty is im 54 years old now and it is my daughters and their partners (age 26-33) who want to emigrate but they refuse to do so unless my wife and i go with them.

They are all on the skills shortage list and have in excess of 140 points each so they don't need to worry. Its just me holding them back.

I'd obviously be looking for skilled work in a trade in a comparable labour market. I've looked online and there are suitable jobs for me, the difficulty is i need a job offer before i can apply for Visa, but without Visa can't apply for job. Obviously i know that NZ employers could only offer me a job if there are no suitable NZ applicants.

The bit that confuses me is, say if i applied for a job explaining my situation then the i was offered that job it would be months before all the paperwork would be done for the visa etc that why would any employer wait that long?

Its very confusing but i don't want to hold my family back.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you were lucky enough to gain an NZ job offer then you would apply for a temporary work visa to get you here and working. No need to keep the employer waiting. As you realise it is for you to explain that it is job offer first and then a visa . Not the other way around. For any trade job it is best to have boots on the ground here. If you are determined to go this route, then perhaps you should think to blanket cover employers in the hope of setting up interviews and then come to NZ with the thought that you would be starting employment after that shortly.

With regards to your adult children and their families, simply insist that they go out ahead of you & reassure them that you will be fine. If they know they have your certain blessing and that you will follow when you can then they will go.

Explain that if you can't come up with a job offer, then they will be able to sponsor you in a few years time anyway & that meanwhile you would keep trying for a job offer and would utilise visitors visas or a multiple entry visa to visit with your family.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Lorenzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi pals,

I've read through the EOI form plenty of times and my conclusion is that to get a permanent visa you need a Job offer in a skilled job position (preferably an absolute shortage job like an IT job for instance).

In my sense, this is the only way to get 140 points.
Unless you have studied in New Zealand and carried out a bachelor degree, it's the only option so far.

For my part, I'm moving to NZ in few weeks with a WHV. I'm planning to have some interviews and I cross my fingers hopefully I'll find an employer willing to hire me as an IT engineer.

I would need your thoughts about the following:
what place in NZ do you think would be the best option to find an employer willing to hire me in an IT job position for more than 6 months (i.e. at least a 12 month contract or an undefined period of time) ?

The requirements to claim the points for job employment are that it has to be a skilled job and a contract of at least 12 months. So you won't get the job offer points for a tourism officer desk job.

I guess the best place would be Auckland.
But I would like you to share your experience or thoughts about this question.

Thank you for shedding me some light on this.
Cheers,

Lorenzo
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

when husband was looking for IT work we where told to look in Auckland or Wellington, luckily for us husband secured a job in Wellington
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Lorenzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Great!

Wellington: 1

Auckland: ...
Other places: ...
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get above 140 without a job offer or any study in NZ; I'll say that just so a casual reader is not put off. That said, would most people come over here without the offer of a job? A lot of employers in IT in NZ will consider paying for temporary work visas such is the lack of IT personnel here. (I am in IT too.) Auckland would definitely be the bet for IT at the mo...