Need help regarding PRO for daughter.

Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

sarahkk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help regarding PRO for daughter.

Hello, first time poster, long time lurker here!
My husband and I are hoping to start our application process early next year for relocating to NZ so we're currently doing all our research to make sure it's the right move for us (this forum has already been a goldmine of information!)
I have a question regarding the status of my eldest child and whether we would need some legal advice. We have 3 children aged 4, 6 and 13. The two youngest are my husbands biological children but the eldest is from a previous relationship of mine.
Her natural father plays no part in her life. He is not named on her birth certificate, has never met her and does not support her financially.
She was 4 when I met my husband and he is the only father she has ever known, however in the eyes of the law he is her Step-Father.
Could this cause any problems with our applications? Is it worth getting a PRO (parental responsibility order) for my husband before we start the application process?
Any advice would be gratefully received!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 7:47 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help regarding PRO for daughter.

from reading previous post on this I believe as the biological father is not named and has not had any contact you do not need to get permission. I personally would call NZ house in London and ask them as they would be the ones processing your application.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. I'm not so worried about permission as, in the eyes of the law, he doesn't exist as her father. I 'm more unsure about her status as my husbands step-daughter when it comes to applications. I'll give NZ house a ring, thanks!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

all he has to do is prove that he has her in his life and lives as a family unit, show financial support etc
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Mrs F says, you only need to prove she is part of your family unit and has been for many years - there are many step, half or adopted children who come out with their parents with no problems at all. Don't worry, and good luck.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks. I didn't know if there were special requirements for step children or not. She was 4 when we met so certainly part of the family unit! My husband is finishing his professional qualification this year, so once that's done we'll be making our application. This may not be the last you see of me!