British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   In need of help: Dontknow where to start (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/need-help-dontknow-where-start-763453/)

annamichael Jun 30th 2012 9:02 pm

In need of help: Dontknow where to start

Hey my self and Husband and 2girls want to move to NZ but am rather confused with where to start if there is anyone that can break it down it would be reall appriciated:D MIchael is an electrican and has been for 10yrs

Many thanks

MrsFychan Jun 30th 2012 9:44 pm

Re: In need of help: Dontknow where to start

very different from Australia here so I would make sure NZ is really where you want to be firstly.

You will need to fill out and pay for an EOI, requiring a certain amount of points, and if you are lucky enough to be selected then you have the minefield of the ITA to submit.

have a look and become accustomed to using the Immigration website.
EOI details http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rm.htm?level=2

karin Jul 1st 2012 1:40 pm

Hi
I am in a similar boat, but I am trying to get a job offer first that will increase my points. I have completed my EOI but have not sent it in yet, am awaiting the results of my phone job interview in 10 days time, then I will submit as I will have 160 points, hopefully this will mean that we are on our way, not sure though.
Hope this helps.

aiki Jul 1st 2012 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by karin (Post 10148834)
Hi
I am in a similar boat, but I am trying to get a job offer first that will increase my points. I have completed my EOI but have not sent it in yet, am awaiting the results of my phone job interview in 10 days time, then I will submit as I will have 160 points, hopefully this will mean that we are on our way, not sure though.
Hope this helps.

Hi Karin,

Is it possible to secure a job without being in NZ physically ?
AFAIK, most employers want to meet the candidate face to face before making decision. :confused:

annamichael Jul 1st 2012 7:14 pm

thank you both for your help.
Just a question MrsFychan you say its not like OZ?! what do you mean by this?
Anna:unsure:

karin Jul 1st 2012 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by aiki (Post 10149140)
Hi Karin,

AFAIK, most employers want to meet the candidate face to face before making decision. :confused:

Hi
Hopefully I will secure a job I have had a preliminary interview with ADHB already, and this is my official interview, so hopefully it will work. I'm a nurse do you think this makes a difference.

MrsFychan Jul 1st 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by annamichael (Post 10149228)
thank you both for your help.
Just a question MrsFychan you say its not like OZ?! what do you mean by this?
Anna:unsure:

I noted that you had been asking in the Australian forum and just wanted to point out that the two countries are significantly different. I was amazed at how different NZ was to my idea. We too had looked at Australia so did loads of research on it, in the end we decided it was just not for us at this time, work related. Assumed, incorrectly, that NZ would be very similar in environment so I personally didn't do to much research into it but luckily things have panned out well for us.

RobDon Jul 1st 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by karin (Post 10149264)
Hi
Hopefully I will secure a job I have had a preliminary interview with ADHB already, and this is my official interview, so hopefully it will work. I'm a nurse do you think this makes a difference.

A lot of nurses on here, myself included, landed jobs in NZ while still being in the UK. :thumbsup:

RobDon Jul 1st 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by aiki (Post 10149140)
Hi Karin,

Yes you can get a job offer while not in NZ. :thumbsup: Having said that, it does seem to depend on your occupation. ;)

HeatherGirl Jul 2nd 2012 12:50 pm

Hi Annamichael

As others have said, go onto the immi NZ website and do a points indicator check to see if you have sufficient points - that's the first thing you need to check.

My husband is an electrician and we are currently awaiting our Permanent Resident Visas. Here's what we did:

Submitted Expression of Interest with 140 points (so we automatically were Invited to Apply).

When Invitation to Apply arrived we got our medicals and police checks done and gathered all the documents.

We also sent all Marc's qualifications away to the Electrician Workers Registration Board to get a letter which basically states Marc could gain his Limited Licence. You need this when you submit your Invitation to Apply.

While this was happening we applied for as many electrician jobs as possible, agencies, advertised jobs, as well as speculative applications by googling electrician firms.

He got a job offer from an accredited employer - so we put this in with our Invitation to Apply which means we SHOULD get our Permanent Resident visa straight off, all being well. (without a job offer, an electrician could be offered a Job Search Visa)

It all sounds complicated - but it's okay if you take it step by step and the folks on here are really helpful so don't waste money on an agent unless you have any unusual circumstances which may hinder your application.

Lastly, my advice would be def. try to get a job offer. It's difficult, but not impossible and will drive your application forward. Marc had a Skype interview.

Hope I haven't made it sound more complicated than it is!!!! Good luck! :thumbsup:

HeatherGirl

annamichael Jul 3rd 2012 10:55 am

Thank you so so much, no you haven't complicated it made it a lot easier thank you
Good luck to you too :starsmile: