British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Need to attend IELTS even qualification taught in English? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/need-attend-ielts-even-qualification-taught-english-534374/)

immigrants May 5th 2008 2:31 am

Need to attend IELTS even qualification taught in English?

Anyone have experience that even the qualification (such as bachelor, or post-graduate) entire taught in English, but visa officer still request you to attend IELTS? Because I'm live in non-English native speaker country

I'm worried about need to attend IELTS, anyone can help me? Thank you!

Water Lily May 6th 2008 2:19 pm

Re: Need to attend IELTS even qualification taught in English?

I think it's unlikely you'll find anyone who can give you total assurances, I believe most people on this forum are British (hence the name "britishexpats.com") and therefore will not have found themselves in your situation....

This is information copied straight from the immigration.gov.nz pages...

SM5.5 Minimum standard of English language for principal applicants*

See SM5.5 Effective 17/12/2003

a. Applications under the Skilled Migrant Category must be declined if the principal applicant* has not met the minimum standard of English.

b. Principal applicants* under the Skilled Migrant Category meet the minimum standard of English if:

1. they provide a Test Report Form (no more than 2 years old at the time the application is lodged*) from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), showing they achieved an overall band score of at least 6.5 in the IELTS General or Academic Module; or

2. they provide evidence that their recognised qualification(s):
* was gained as a result of a course or courses of study in which English was the only medium of instruction; and
* (if that qualification was gained in New Zealand) the qualification had a minimum completion time of at least two years or it is a post-graduate qualification and the applicant has an undergraduate qualification that qualifies for points; or

3. they have current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points (see SM7); or

4. they provide other evidence which satisfies a visa or immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English. These circumstances may include but are not limited to:
* the country in which the applicant currently resides;
* the country(ies) in which the applicant has previously resided;
* the duration of residence in each country;
* whether the applicant speaks any language other than English;
* whether members of the applicant's family speak English;
* whether members of the applicant's family speak any language other than English;
* the nature of the applicant's current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
* the nature of the applicant's qualifications (if any) and whether the obtaining of those qualifications was likely to require skill in the English language.

c. In any case, a visa or immigration officer may require an applicant to provide an IELTS certificate in terms of paragraph (b)(i). In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the principal applicant* meets the minimum standard of English.

Note: Full consideration must be given to all evidence of English language ability provided before a decision to request an IELTS certificate under SM5.5 (c) is made. If an IELTS certificate is requested the reason(s) behind the decision must be clearly documented and conveyed to the applicant.

If would appear that you would fall under point b2 (as you say your qualification was taught entirely in English), so I'd say you probably will not need to attend the IELTS exam to submit your application.

HOWEVER, as I understand it, the officer responsible for your application may decide (s)he wants further proof if (s)he is not satisfied that your qualification alone is enough to warrant a good level of English. Don't forget that, as the principal applicant, you will be required to have a telephone interview with your immigration officer, and if you are not confident in your spoken English skills, this may well hinder your application.

I took the IELTS test in March so that it would help our own application, as I wasn't born in an English speaking country either, but my situation is different to yours as I have lived in the UK for the last 12 years and I am NOT the principal applicant.

The only thing I can really advise you on is the exam itself. The IELTS test is NOT easy, I don't mean to discourage you, just warn you that you will need some preparation if you decide to take it. I don't mean to sound rude, please don't take this the wrong way, I am just trying to help, but judging by some basic mistakes you have made in this and other threads, I would advise you to invest some time in conversation classes, or perhaps you can find another student you can have a conversation exchange with?

Many centres offering IELTS tests will offer IELTS preparation courses and I'd strongly recommend you attend one of these, as it will give you an insight into what the exam entails and also an indication as to whether you are likely to achieve the minimum grade (6.5 out of 9 points) required by immigration.

And even if you don't need the IELTS exam to be granted a visa in the end, the course will have helped you improve your English, which can only be a good thing if you are serious about settling down in an English speaking country?

Anyway, like I said this is intended to help and not offend, and of course it is not professional nor entirely informed advice, only my own humble opinion!

Best of luck with your application