British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Need Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/need-advice-799787/)

099009 Jun 11th 2013 11:15 am

Need Advice

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some useful advice in relation to New Zealand Immigration.

I recently got married. I’m living in Ireland and my other half is still in India. We are planning to apply for permanent immigration for New Zealand but we are not sure about the points. So, I’m hoping somebody here might be able to shed some light.

I am an Association of Chartered Certified Accountant - Affiliate. I have completed all the papers but I’m not a member yet. I need minimum three years practical experience in order to become a qualified accountant. I will have two years experience by the end of this year in a practice. I have also completed B.A (Hons.) in Accounting and Finance. I gained both qualifications in Ireland. I’m on a graduation visa which will expire in next January.

On the other side, my other half has done Bachelors in Nursing, and currently working as a nurse in a hospital. She will have two years experience by the end of this August. Also, she has completed MBA by distance learning.

I’m not sure who should be the main applicant for EOI. Also, I’m not sure about the points. From my point of view, I can see I have level 7 qualifications from my bachelors but I’m not sure about my Acca qualification. I applied for an International Qualifications Assessment but they were unable to assess it and I was advised to do the full assessment.

My other half is confident she will get minimum 7 bands in IELTS. However, I’m not sure about her MBA as she did not study full-time.

I would be grateful if somebody can guide us to the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Sons.

Persephone Jun 11th 2013 6:00 pm

Re: Need Advice

You can only claim points for one qualification so that would probably mean the nursing degree for your wife and your BA. There are some circumstances where it may be worth assessing more than one qualification. I think you meant PAR when you mentioned the IQA in your post?

As to who applies as the principal candidate: compare how many points you gain using both combinations and choose from there. If either of you have points for work experience in a profession on the LTSSL, neither has a job offer or comes to over 140pts on their own then go with the one on the LTSSL. Slightly better chance of selection-only slightly though

Have you looked at the List of Recognised Qualifications? If your qualifications and awarding bodies are not on there then those qualifications will need assessing.

Also look at your points for work experience and what is a comparable labour market. Not all types of nurses are listed on the LTSSL which means you will have to look at whether your wife can claim points for work experience as India is not a comparable labour market.

You have to have lived together for more than 12 months to apply on the same EOI as a couple, marriage is not enough. I'm not sure what your situation is but it reads like this may be a problem.

MrsFychan Jun 11th 2013 8:43 pm

agree with Persephone you're main stumbling block my be the fact that you and your wife do not live together so cannot show a stable relationship. so may not be able to have a joint application. But there is nothing to stop you applying separately apart from the fact one may get approved and the other not.

099009 Jun 12th 2013 10:04 am

Thanks a million for responding to my situation. It seems to me we are unable to gain enough points to file the EOI.

Somehow we both are short to gain bonus points from the LTSSL. My qualification and experience meet the External Auditor (221213) requirement except Membership or provisional membership with the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants. By searching online, I can see my accountancy body (ACCA) has no mutual agreement with the New Zealand institute.

On the other hand, my wife falls short of one year experience in Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418) even though she meets all the requirements imposed by Nursing Council of New Zealand.

So, I think I have to enroll her in Masters in Nursing in New Zealand then hopefully I can go with her on the working visa. By doing this we can satisfy stable relationship requirement. By the end of her study, we may have enough points to apply EOI.

Thanks again for your precious help.

Regards,

Sons.