Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Is it necessary to have work experience for Skilled Migrant visa

Is it necessary to have work experience for Skilled Migrant visa

Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

rossojo will become famous soon enoughrossojo will become famous soon enough
Default Is it necessary to have work experience for Skilled Migrant visa

Hi all
Won't go in to the tedium that is our Immigration stress, but just read a comment on here that implies 1 year work experience is required to apply as a Skilled Migrant, or is this just for jobs on the LTSSL?
Thanks
Jo
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:49 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it necessary to have work experience for Skilled Migrant visa

The LTSSL specifies what experience you need, to claim points from the list you need both the qualification and the experience as specified (which may be for a lot more than 1yr...)
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

So if it's not on the LTSSL then it doesn't come into it?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossojo View Post
So if it's not on the LTSSL then it doesn't come into it?
For the skilled migrant category, the number of years experience just increases your points. i.e. less than two years = nil pointe

2 years work experience gets you 10 points and this increases in various steps upto a max of 30 points for 10 years.

If you otherwise have enough points to be selected, then you may not need the work experience points.

You get bonus points if your work experience is in NZ - starting at 5 points for one year
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Thank you!! Went into a wee panic there, been trying to sort this for over 2 years and as I get close they change things, thought they'd done it again
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:22 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Bojangles has it right! Don't panic

I've just read the comment you're referring to. That person needed one year's work experience and a relevant degree to gain the bonus points for a qualification on the LTSSL. It was specific for their occupation and the conditions will vary depending on what you do. For instance I needed registration only to gain those points [as registration itself requires that my degree is accepted by my regulatory body]