My Options

Old Jun 13th 2013, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

clements54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Options

Hi, first post on this forum so bare with me, thanks

Im 28 year old male british citizen, my wife is 30 year old Japanese Citizen and we have a baby who is british citizen.

We have done both working holidays in Aussie & NZ and are looking to settle in either.

I have only National Certificate qualifications in media studies in the UK, my wife studied 4 years in Japan to become a Nutritionist.

I worked in NZ for 1 & 1/2 years, i worked as labourer in Auckland and twice as a tractor driver in south island.

What would be our options in moving to NZ, were going to Japan for a cpl months in December and i would like to just finnish up our time in UK then and go NZ after Japan if possible.

Im not sure if my wife qualification as a Nutritionist is enough to get her a visa towards residency myself and daughter can go as spouse with her.

I heard you need to make $48,000 a year to get residency if on a skilled visa?

thanks
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Options

you could still get a job offer from an Accredited Company and get a visa. The minimum wage is $55,000, you must work more than 30hrs per week and the offer must be for more than 2yrs.

Taken from :

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm.

There may be other options which I'm sure other will advise on
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!
I will try and explain your options [I'll try and keep it brief for now!]
This is the Government immigration website: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
It sounds like you want residency from your post, yes? You need this to stay long term and have security. Your options for residency are the Skilled Migrant Category [SMC] or the Work to Residence visa [WTR]

SMC: This is based on points, you gain points for factors such as age, qualifications, job offer in NZ and work experience mainly though there are other points available. The first step is to submit an Expression of Interest [EOI] which you can only do if you have 100pts or more. However just reaching that total does not guarantee you will be selected which is the next stage. Many applicants need a job offer to get them selected. Over 140 pts is an automatic selection at the fortnightly draw.
One of you would be the principal candidate and from the details you have given this would most likely be your wife. You have to have lived together for 12 months or more and be able to prove it, marriage alone is not enough. NZIS are more interested in the living together as a couple bit.

You don't say whether you have a skilled job. Nutritionist/ dietician is classed as skilled, registration is needed to work as one in NZ.

Try the points indicator first to get an idea of your points total: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

You can check whether your wife's qualification and awarding body is recognised here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rq/default.htm If not, then it will need assessing by NZQA. This is to check what level it is.

ANZSCO listing to nutritionists:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Dietitians

Your wife's job is not in absolute shortage which means that she cannot claim bonus points. It is probable that she will need a job offer in order to gain enough points for selection.
Have a look at the points indicator and the links above and get back to us!

WTR: Job offer first. There are three streams but only one would be available to you as nutritionists aren't on the Long Term skill shortage list. This is the Talent [accredited employers] visa. MrsF has given you info on this. She is issued a work visa which can be converted to residency once she has worked for two years.

The only other visa is a temporary work visa. Again you need a job offer before you can apply for this visa. Conditions do apply and it will be more difficult to get without a job offer on any of the skills shortage lists.

So have a look through this and the NZIS website and get back to us with any questions. It is not as confusing as it looks!!! Really!

I heard you need to make $48,000 a year to get residency if on a skilled visa?
Think this is the WTR visa you are referring to? It is now $55,000 as MrsF has said. Does not apply to the SMC visa
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for getting back to me, appreciate your time.

I think i will need to go for the SMC visa, my points at the moment only really come up to around 100.

I plan on studying online for a cpl of years in order to gain a qualification and then try get some sort of job offer.

Im really looking to come over up to 3 years later so getting something that would count as skilled would need to be achieved in that time along with some work experience.

Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:16 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

How many points do you get if your wife is the principal candidate? It reads as if you are the principal candidate from what you've written.

What happens is you and your baby go on the same application. You don't need to be qualified to the same level. Though if you're planning on going over in 3 years time then it won't do any harm to have further qualifications yourself of course.
Or is your wife not planning on working so you are the one who has to be principal?
Currently only those with >140pts and those with a job offer are being selected. This may change in that time of course.

P
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
How many points do you get if your wife is the principal candidate? It reads as if you are the principal candidate from what you've written.

What happens is you and your baby go on the same application. You don't need to be qualified to the same level. Though if you're planning on going over in 3 years time then it won't do any harm to have further qualifications yourself of course.
Or is your wife not planning on working so you are the one who has to be principal?
Currently only those with >140pts and those with a job offer are being selected. This may change in that time of course.

P
MY wife would find it difficult to find decent work as she is not 100% with her english, last time we stayed in Auckland she was only a waitress.

If i was to get a job offer on for the SMC would that need to be from one of the trusted companys on the list or could it be a written offer of work from any registered business in NZ, i have previous places of work in NZ and i know i would be able to get a job again but these jobs were not skilled jobs?

I would need to be principal and my wife and baby would be coming along.

thanks for your reply
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by clements54
MY wife would find it difficult to find decent work as she is not 100% with her english, last time we stayed in Auckland she was only a waitress.

She will probably need to sit an IELTS exam and would need to score 5 or over [or prepay for English lessons] to be the non principal candidate on your application. If you want to gain bonus points for her qualification then she has to have the same English requirements as the principal candidate, IELTS 6.5 or over or prove some other way that she has sufficient English ability. If you're not planning on moving over for a few years, then it would be a good idea to get her English up to scratch. Not only for the visa but it will help her settle in NZ if she can communicate confidently And don't underestimate how demoralising not be able to work in your chosen field can be.
If i was to get a job offer on for the SMC would that need to be from one of the trusted companys on the list or could it be a written offer of work from any registered business in NZ, i have previous places of work in NZ and i know i would be able to get a job again but these jobs were not skilled jobs?
I think you mean Accredited employers. This list refers to Talent [accredited employers] WTR visas and not the SMC. For the SMC, the job can be from any NZ employer but it must be classed as skilled. See the ANZSCO list here ANZSCO
I would need to be principal and my wife and baby would be coming along.

thanks for your reply