Is my NZ Visa still Valid?

Old Nov 16th 2014, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

HuhHuh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my NZ Visa still Valid?

As my passport has nearly expired I took a closer look at my NZ visa in there and am confused as to whether I still have a valid visa or not.

I moved to NZ with my family as a dependent child in April 2010 and stayed there for around 2 years (not sure of exact date.) I always believed I had a Residence Visa.

Looking in my passport I have 4 pages of NZ visa:

2 titled Returning Resident's Visa, &;
1 titled Residence Visa
1 titled Residence Permit

The strange thing I can't understand is one Returning Residents Visa and the residence visa have been stamped "Cancelled Without Prejudice" The other two have been left untouched.

The residence permit clearly states indefinite date of expiry but then also states this permit expires when the holder leaves NZ (which I have obviously done)

Any ideas if I have a valid visa or not!? very confusing

Who do I contact for help?

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 16th 2014, 5:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my NZ Visa still Valid?

sorry I can't help but personally I would call Immigration House in NZ and ask them, maybe you could send them through a faxed copy of the visas and they will be to tell you one way of the other.

The number in my signature is a cheap rate number(or it used to be).
Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:02 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the cancelled ones were a mistake and cancelled by INZ?? However I do not know whether these were sometimes stamped when an application for a further RRV or travel conditions was made [mine wasn't but others may have been]

This could get a bit confusing mainly because the terminology changed in November 2010 even though the basic visa process remains the same!

In brief:
Two year RRV and separate residence visa = [now] Resident Visa with 2 years travel conditions
Indefinite RRV = Permanent Resident Visa [PRV]

A valid RRV or travel conditions allow you to return to NZ and take up residency again. You used to be issued a 2yr RRV with your first residence visa and then an Indefinite RRV after two years [depending on whether yu fulfilled the conditions]
The residence permit is irrelevant as they always expired when you left NZ.

What exactly does your current 'uncancelled RRV' say on it? Does it say something about being valid for two years and that you must apply for a further visa after this time?
As you were a dependent child in the original application, it may be that you are eligible for a PRV. It depends on what your parents did when their original 2yr RRV expired.

To summarise if the above is too waffly! What does your current RRV say and what visas do your parents currently hold?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
I assume the cancelled ones were a mistake and cancelled by INZ?? However I do not know whether these were sometimes stamped when an application for a further RRV or travel conditions was made [mine wasn't but others may have been]

This could get a bit confusing mainly because the terminology changed in November 2010 even though the basic visa process remains the same!

In brief:
Two year RRV and separate residence visa = [now] Resident Visa with 2 years travel conditions
Indefinite RRV = Permanent Resident Visa [PRV]

A valid RRV or travel conditions allow you to return to NZ and take up residency again. You used to be issued a 2yr RRV with your first residence visa and then an Indefinite RRV after two years [depending on whether yu fulfilled the conditions]
The residence permit is irrelevant as they always expired when you left NZ.

What exactly does your current 'uncancelled RRV' say on it? Does it say something about being valid for two years and that you must apply for a further visa after this time?
As you were a dependent child in the original application, it may be that you are eligible for a PRV. It depends on what your parents did when their original 2yr RRV expired.

To summarise if the above is too waffly! What does your current RRV say and what visas do your parents currently hold?
Hi,

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply but in the mean time I had contacted NZ immigration who are looking into my visa status.

It seems my returning resident's visa would be out of date now, although waiting for confirmation from NZI. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1176.pdf

RRV says : Must not arrive after April 2012 ( i arrived in April 2010 and left but can't remember when atm, 2012 sometime I think, was living in NZ during the Rugby World Cup)
Conditions: Please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires. The holder may travel to NZ and on application shall be granted a residence permit.

Residence Permit says:

Date of Expiry: indefinite
Conditions: The holder of this permit may remain in NZ indefinitely. This permit expires when the holder leaves NZ.

Last edited by HuhHuh; Nov 17th 2014 at 6:46 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 3:43 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

They should be able to give you the right answer!
I would imagine that the answer lies with what your parents did when their RRV expired and whether they are still in NZ since your visa was acquired as a dependent child. Your situation could mean you have a PRV [therefore indefinite right to enter NZ and take up residency] to no valid NZ visa at all

If you arrived in April 2010 and it was your first RRV which lasts for two years, then it would have expired in April 2012 [the starting date is when you first enter NZ as a resident].

The residence permit means nothing as you are no longer in NZ. The moment you left NZ that expired. The RRV is the visa that lets you back into NZ as a resident. Permits and RRVs no longer exist anyway, unless in a passport that has not needed to be renewed as yet.

P
Old Nov 18th 2014, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
They should be able to give you the right answer!
I would imagine that the answer lies with what your parents did when their RRV expired and whether they are still in NZ since your visa was acquired as a dependent child. Your situation could mean you have a PRV [therefore indefinite right to enter NZ and take up residency] to no valid NZ visa at all

If you arrived in April 2010 and it was your first RRV which lasts for two years, then it would have expired in April 2012 [the starting date is when you first enter NZ as a resident].

The residence permit means nothing as you are no longer in NZ. The moment you left NZ that expired. The RRV is the visa that lets you back into NZ as a resident. Permits and RRVs no longer exist anyway, unless in a passport that has not needed to be renewed as yet.

P
One of my parents still lives in NZ ( I assume legally!) so I will mention that as well.

Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2014, 7:20 pm
Queen of the Underworld

They should be legal as your residency doesn't expire when your RRV does UNLESS you are not in NZ at the time it happens. Then it becomes more complicated.

So wait and see what INZ say as they should have all the details on file as to what visas your parents currently have.
P