Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

My current employment and what's best to do regarding visas?

My current employment and what's best to do regarding visas?

Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

philw1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My current employment and what's best to do regarding visas?

Hi

I've been in NZ for just over 2 months now. I'm on a working holiday visa. I'm a full qualified Counsellor and have got a job here as a Mental Health Support worker. Also I should be starting some volunteer counselling whereas I can work towards membership of the NZAC. I am seriously thinking of staying on but there are a few things I'm thinking about in terms of what is best to do. In terms of my work I am very happy with this work situation as it stands. I spoke to my boss in terms of residency since from speaking to immigration they said I would need to get a full time Counselling job to get residency which seems fair enough. My boss said that should I be happy enough there not to worry about this as since they want to have a Counsellor and my skills from my course are valued there giving something different to other workers so I can be employed on my contract as the staff member giving Support Counselling to the residents there. I wanted to check what anyone thought about this? Since I do enjoy the company I don't feel in any major rush to get out of there provided I can get the residency and I can still pursue my actual counselling getting hours to being accredited in some volunteer work. Obviously this would be a little bit of a blag which does make the situation less than clear cut maybe. Having said that my role should be adapted at some stage so I am actually getting real counselling hours there but that isn't the case just now.

Also if there aren't any issues with this I am currently on a one year working holiday visa which expires next January. I wondered if anyone had any views regarding whether it would be best to just renew that for a second year or go for the residency. Just trying to figure out my best way forward. A lot seems to have happened here for me very quickly. Would appreciate any supporting feedback. Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My current employment and what's best to do regarding visas?

Originally Posted by philw1980
Hi

I've been in NZ for just over 2 months now. I'm on a working holiday visa. I'm a full qualified Counsellor and have got a job here as a Mental Health Support worker. Also I should be starting some volunteer counselling whereas I can work towards membership of the NZAC. I am seriously thinking of staying on but there are a few things I'm thinking about in terms of what is best to do. In terms of my work I am very happy with this work situation as it stands. I spoke to my boss in terms of residency since from speaking to immigration they said I would need to get a full time Counselling job to get residency which seems fair enough. My boss said that should I be happy enough there not to worry about this as since they want to have a Counsellor and my skills from my course are valued there giving something different to other workers so I can be employed on my contract as the staff member giving Support Counselling to the residents there. I wanted to check what anyone thought about this? Since I do enjoy the company I don't feel in any major rush to get out of there provided I can get the residency and I can still pursue my actual counselling getting hours to being accredited in some volunteer work. Obviously this would be a little bit of a blag which does make the situation less than clear cut maybe. Having said that my role should be adapted at some stage so I am actually getting real counselling hours there but that isn't the case just now.

Also if there aren't any issues with this I am currently on a one year working holiday visa which expires next January. I wondered if anyone had any views regarding whether it would be best to just renew that for a second year or go for the residency. Just trying to figure out my best way forward. A lot seems to have happened here for me very quickly. Would appreciate any supporting feedback. Thanks
If you can get residency then that is the better option...
There is a number of advantages to residency and almost no drawbacks, but make sure you do actually have a full time job offer if you are claiming points for that.