Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

My company have offered a position in NZ, Visa query.

My company have offered a position in NZ, Visa query.

Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Cadwah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My company have offered a position in NZ, Visa query.

Hello all, new here.

The UK company I currently work for in Spain are opening an office in Aukland and I would like to make the move to NZ. The company is an IT sales company so it does not fall under the skilled migrant category and I really doubt that they would not be able to find NZ natives who could do the same job. However I have tenure and experience. What would be the likelihood of me being able to secure a visa for the move? Does the company have any opportunity to move over existing staff to the new office? I would be hoping to move over permanently and the offer would reflect that. Any advice on what I or the company could do would be appreciated.

Cad
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:49 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My company have offered a position in NZ, Visa query.

Good day and welcome to the NZ branch of B.E.

IT sales professional is a recognised skilled profession, so in theory you can score a work visa for such a role.

I dont know what the rules are regarding setting up a branch of an existing company, regarding key roles, but I would imagine there is some provision to allow staff from the organisation to be transferred.

From your companies point of view I would start here

http://www.business.govt.nz/companie...in-new-zealand
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:52 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My company have offered a position in NZ, Visa query.

If you're hoping to move over permanently then residency is your goal-this is either via the SMC or via a WTR visa. I would think the WTR visa would be problematic as IT sales are not on the LTSSL and a new company would not be accredited.
The SMC then?.

My suggestion would be to get your company to speak to an immigration agent or lawyer. This is a business decision and if they want to transfer someone over to start up then they should be willing to pay for advice on how to do this. This isn't as simple as giving advice to individuals, sorry.

Or are you suggesting you move over with them, is this driven by you rather than the company? Catchafire has said that IT sales are classed as skilled so you need to look at whether you can apply via the SMC. A work visa is temporary and does not lead to residency [also it might be hard for you to get one if there are NZers who can do the job] and a WTR visa is issued only under certain categories