British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Moving to OZ as Nz residents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/moving-oz-nz-residents-691690/)

teambwr47 Nov 1st 2010 1:27 am

Moving to OZ as Nz residents

Ok so we've loved NZ but a chance has arisen to look at OZ and just wondered if there's any benefits in the process now
that we're NZ permanent residents with indefinite returning visa's?

Does this make the process with getting into OZ any easier or does that just apply to NZ citizens?

RobDon Nov 1st 2010 1:43 am

Re: Moving to OZ as Nz residents

Originally Posted by teambwr47 (Post 8953864)
Ok so we've loved NZ but a chance has arisen to look at OZ and just wondered if there's any benefits in the process now
that we're NZ permanent residents with indefinite returning visa's?

Does this make the process with getting into OZ any easier or does that just apply to NZ citizens?

I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, it only applies to NZ citizens not residents. :thumbdown:

jayandbill Nov 1st 2010 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by RobDon (Post 8953880)
I was under the impression, rightly or wrongly, it only applies to NZ citizens not residents. :thumbdown:

applies to Citizenship which you can't get until you've been here 5 years I believe, and rightly so

Genesis Nov 1st 2010 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by jayandbill (Post 8955338)
applies to Citizenship which you can't get until you've been here 5 years I believe, and rightly so

Ditto the above. It was 3 years prior to April 2005 but now as stated it is 5 years. Apart from the sense of 'belonging' to NZ as a citizen the only real benefit (maybe apart from pride) to being a citizen of NZ is that you can go live/work in Oz. That is the reason I would like my kids to be citizens..opens up a great local job market. Now that we are soon to have perm. returning visas the need for citizenship is not so strong on that front. NZIS have told me once you have the indefinite return visas you can leave NZ for eons and stroll back in when you like even as a resident. I wrongly thought the latter only applied to citizens.

teambwr47 Nov 3rd 2010 6:48 am

Ah well no worries we'll just apply for OZ working visa's and residency in that case. As we have indefinite NZ returning residents visa's there will always be the option to return to NZ if we do decide to try OZ.

Not really that bothered about citizenship so not an issue.

JAJ Nov 9th 2010 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8955365)
NZIS have told me once you have the indefinite return visas you can leave NZ for eons and stroll back in when you like even as a resident. I wrongly thought the latter only applied to citizens.

Except that the NZ government could change the law anytime, to put a time limit or conditions on indefinite RRVs.

The indefinite NZ RRV is not accepted by Australia. Nor can you hold an NZ passport or pass on NZ citizenship to any children born in Australia (or anywhere else).