Moving to NZ - what comes first?

Old Oct 9th 2014, 3:15 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to NZ - what comes first?

Just to clarify as you might have misunderstood

The two years starts when you get a Resident Visa and enter NZ for the first time. Any time spent before that on a temp visa doesn't count.
I meant that if you spent two years on a temp visa and then applied for residency then you might be stuck in NZ for a further two years after that if you wished to retain that residency permanently. [there are other ways to retain it without staying in NZ but you would have to check these out as they might not apply]

Temporary visas to look at are Essential Skills work visas and Work to Residence visas. Conditions do apply as to the type of jobs that are acceptable. I won't reiterate my previous post-I'll only repeat myself!

My job does lend itself out to sending out CVs as it's a fairly small profession and employers often want locums or part time staff. So even if I don't get an actual job it's a good idea to let them know I'm around and available. In fact my last job started as casual but ended up being fulltime. I am a veterinary surgeon with more years qualified than I care to mention
Old Oct 10th 2014, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Just to clarify as you might have misunderstood

The two years starts when you get a Resident Visa and enter NZ for the first time. Any time spent before that on a temp visa doesn't count.
I meant that if you spent two years on a temp visa and then applied for residency then you might be stuck in NZ for a further two years after that if you wished to retain that residency permanently. [there are other ways to retain it without staying in NZ but you would have to check these out as they might not apply]

Temporary visas to look at are Essential Skills work visas and Work to Residence visas. Conditions do apply as to the type of jobs that are acceptable. I won't reiterate my previous post-I'll only repeat myself!

My job does lend itself out to sending out CVs as it's a fairly small profession and employers often want locums or part time staff. So even if I don't get an actual job it's a good idea to let them know I'm around and available. In fact my last job started as casual but ended up being fulltime. I am a veterinary surgeon with more years qualified than I care to mention
Oh, yes, I had misunderstood.
Even so, being in a new country for the first time doesn't really call for any international travelling. We would have the whole NZ to visit first

I will try to send off some CVs, and see what happens.
Do you reckon I should mention straightaway the fact I'm not a NZ resident and I will be needing to apply for visa?
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Something to bear in mind is medical care. I may be wrong, but I think if you're on a temp visa you don't get the fully subsidised care. So it might pay off to go for PR sooner rather than later.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good point! Thanks.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:17 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janiejones
Something to bear in mind is medical care. I may be wrong, but I think if you're on a temp visa you don't get the fully subsidised care. So it might pay off to go for PR sooner rather than later.
We have 30 month visa which will lead to residency I have been told by my dr you get the same treatment at the same price as a newzealander